Sustainable Greenwood Phinney Groups and Sept. 2011 Events

  • Anne Engstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2011

      Sustainable Greenwood Phinney Groups and Sept. 2011 Events

      Sustainable Greenwood Phinney meets on the 4th Tues. of every month.  Tues. Sept. 22nd 7:15 pm Greenwood Senior Center

      www.sustainablegreenwoodphinney.org   Check Calendar on Website or email achelan@... for more information.

      Democracy Conversations

      Mon. Sept. 12, 19, 26  6:15 to 7:45 pm

      Greenwood library Conference Room or main room

      Discussing: Watchman's Rattle, Thinking Our Way out of Extinction by Rebecca D. Costa

      Ch. 6 & 7 for the 12th

      Ch. 8 & 9 for the 19th

      Ch. 10 & 11 for the 26th

      Garden Group

      Tues.  Aug. 9th , 7:00pm (once a month on 1st Tues. )

       Cecile's Garden

      We decided to meet at different places to see different gardens and to talk about what needs to happen in the garden at this particular time and share ideas for making gardening fun!.

       Contact Cecile: cecile@... for info. and directions.

      Coffee Chat

      Every Wed. Sept. 7, 24, 21, 28 - 12:30 pm - - Neighborhood gathering at the Green Bean 8533 Greenwood Ave N.

       Connect with community- Share what is happening in the neighborhood.

      Elder Culture Group

      !st & 3rd Wed. of the month, Sept. 7th, & 21st, 4:30 - 6:00 PM

      Green Bean 8533 Greenwood Ave. N. Limited number of participants

      The Phinney Village is a program concept for aging in place in our

      neighborhood and a key ingredient in the planning and success is a new

      vision of aging.  This is a support group for Boomers!

      Puget Sound Alliance for Retired Americans & SAGE

      2nd Thurs. 1:00 pm Discussion Group

      Community Happiness Circle: Exploring Community, Calling, and Conviviality

      Thurs. Aug.  4, 11th, 18th, 25th, 6:30 pm “Green Bean Coffee House, 6:30-8:00pm

       New research suggests that happiness lies in social ties, work that brings meaning, and a commitment to joie de vivre. Further, Seattle is working to become a Gross National Happiness City. What do these two things mean to Phinney Greenwood neighbors? This on going circle will help people work on both personal and community happiness goals in the atmosphere of a supportive community.

      Cecile Andrews, author of Slow is Beautiful, will lead the group.

      Cecile Andrews, author of Less Is More, Slow Is Beautiful, and Circle of Simplicity

      http://www.cecileandrews.com

      Citizen's Climate Lobby

      citizensclimatelobby.org

      1st Sat of Month, Sept. 10th, 2011 - 9:30am   to 1:00 pm

      Andrea's House email amfaste@... or call 783-6963 for directions

      NEXT NATIONWIDE CONFERENCE CALL

        Seattle CCL Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/citizensclimatelobbyseattle/Home?pli=1

      Guest Speaker: Anthony Leiserowitz, Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University

      Anthony Leiserowitz, PhD, is director of the Yale Project on Climate Change and a research scientist at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies at Yale University. He is also a principal investigator at the Center for Research on Environmental Decisions at Columbia University. He is a widely recognized expert on American and international public opinion on global warming, including public perception of climate change risks, support and opposition for climate policies, and willingness to make individual behavioral change. His research investigates the psychological, cultural, political, and geographic factors that drive public environmental perception and behavior.

      PHINNEY NEIGHBORS FOR PEACE & JUSTICE

      Sunday, Sept. 25th at 6pm  meeting will be at Andy's house, 5107 Phinney Ave. N. contact  louandjoant@...

      ­­­­­­

      Other Events :

      Moving Planet 350.0rg

      Seattle Saturday, September 24 http://www.movingplanet.org/seattle

      A community gathering with workshops, events, and rally to demonstrate our community’s call for clean energy and transportation solutions for the 21st century. We will explore how we can end our reliance on coal and oil while taking action on urgent campaigns in our region: coal exports, transportation choices and better fuel efficiency.

      Move Yourself  9am-1pm Lake Union, Seattle

      Join the parade of boats and bikes, feet and wheels, pedaling, rowing, sailing, walking, dancing, and skating all around Lake Union. End at Lake Union Park (860 Terry Ave N, Seattle) at 1pm.

      * Rally to Move Beyond Fossil Fuels!

      2-3pm Lake Union Park 860 Terry Ave N, Seattle

      This is the place to be today - come jam to music by the Black Whales at 1pm and rally for a sustainable future at 2pm. Show your support for moving beyond fossil fuels while enjoying inspirational speakers, community information booths, and a crowd photo for 350.org. Speakers include:

                 Sarah van Gelder, YES! magazine •        KC Golden, Climate Solutions

      2011 Sustainable Ballard Festival News

       We have identified five "Activity Areas" for this year's festival in the park on September 25th: Action and Advocacy, Food and Garden, Green Home, Health and Wellness, & Transportation. In addition, there will be kids activities in each area. We'd love to set up a kid's tent with a schedule of storytelling and puppet shows - and we're looking for a volunteer to help run the area - could that be you?

      Phinney Farmers Market

Fridays, 3-7 pm.
PNC Upper Parking Lot.
Check out the "Ripe 'n' Ready Report" from the Neighborhood Farmers Market Alliance for a weekly preview. Join us for great shopping and family fun every Friday from 3-7 pm in the upper parking lot of the Phinney Neighborhood Center. As always, special events or musical entertainment are scheduled from about 4-6 pm.

      Farmers Market Entertainment Schedule9/2 MoZo – Folk/Bluegrass Duo
9/9 Kids' Day at the Market
Kids of all ages are invited to decorate a squash, add wheels, and race another zippy zuke down the "Zucchini 500" ramp. Learn about raising backyard chickens and visit some hens in their mobile coop. Join neighborhood favorite Gary Paine for a sing-along at 3:30, then stick around to share songs in French and Spanish with the Polly-Glots from 5-6:30. You don't want to miss it!
9/16 Canote Brothers – Old-time Duo
9/23 Applesauce Demo
Our local Cool Mom's group will demonstrate how to make and can applesauce, with free canning supplies for market shoppers, courtesy of the Ball Company.
9/30 Ben Fisher – Solo Acoustic
10/7 PNA Harvest Potluck & Final Day of the Season
Celebrate the market season with a Harvest Potluck from 6:30-8:30 pm upstairs in the Blue Building. We're hoping for a bountiful spread featuring veggies from your garden, fruit from your backyard trees, eggs from some of the many neighborhood chickens, and your favorite market offerings. This event will also highlight our annual membership campaign. Please RSVP at 206.783.2244 so we know how many to expect.

      Thursday, September 1 at At East West Bookshop

       Seattle Intentional Communities:

      Models for Sustainable Living

      7-8:30 p.m. Free!

      No pre-registration for free events - we'll just see you there!

      Living in an intentional community may not be for everybody, but the lessons that are being learned, and the present models being developed, hold much promise for society as a whole.

      Join residents from several local communities as they share about some of the benefits of community living, including simple living and shared resources, sharing food growing and meals, expanding friendships, a sense of belonging and creative participation, as well as more satisfying models of leadership and decision-making. There will be lots of time for questions

      Meaningful Movies -

      Every Friday, 7:00 to 9:00

      5019 Keystone Place N., Seattle www.meaningfulmovies.org **

      and open to the public! ...but Donations are kindly accepted).

      **Friday, September 2, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      FILM: “A SEA CHANGE" ...IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT FISH (83 min, Barbara Ettinger, 2009)

       **Friday, September 9, 2011, 6:30 to 9:30 PM (Short Films at 6:30PM; Main Feature Starts at 7)

      Transition Friday! An evening focused on positive solutions at a local level! (Note Early Start Time)

      FILM: “BAG IT" - IS YOUR LIFE TOO PLASTIC?

      (65 min, Suzan Beraza, 2010)

      ...AND A SELECTION OF SHORT FILMS AT 6:30!

      **Friday, September 16, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      FILM: "THE FINLAND PHENOMENON: INSIDE THE WORLD’S MOST SURPRISING SCHOOL SYSTEM" (62 min, Bob Compton, 2011)

      **Friday, September 23, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      FILM: “THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN” (87 min, Abby Epstein, 2008)

      **Friday, September 30, 2011, 7:00 to 9:30 PM

      FILM: “MOTHER: CARING FOR 7 BILLION”

      (54 min, Christophe Fauchere, 2011)

      City Fruit Classes

      Cost: $15 members, $20 non-members.  Register online at www.cityfruit.org/classes.htm

      Sept 11 Jubilee Country Fair, So Bellevue. Harvest festival at Holy Cross Lutheran Church orchard with cider, food, music. jkftahiti@...

      Seattle Tilth |

       4649 Sunnyside Ave. N., Suite 100, Seattle, WA 98103 | (206) 633-0451
www.seattletilth.org | tilth@...

      Learn, Grow and Eat - Take a Class!

      Organic Gardening Fundamentals

        Comprehensive Organic Gardener – Wed. & Sat., Sept. 14- Oct. 5 (Wallingford)

        Monthly Grow Organic Class Feature: Save Seeds two dates and locations:
 Sat., Sept. 3 (Wallingford) and Sun., Sept. 11 (Mt. Baker)

      Food Preservation

         Basic Canning – Thurs., Sept. 22

         Pickles and Fermentation – Thurs., Sept 29

      Other Fave Farmy Classes

         Prune Fruit Trees – Sat., Oct. 8

         City Chickens 101 – Sat., Sept 17

      Teach Kids to Grow Food (Teachers Receive Clock Hours)

      Town Hall:

      http://www.trumba.com/events-calendar/pacific-time/town_hall_calendar_of_events1

      Tuesday, September 13, 2011, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM

      Frances Moore Lappé: Rethinking Environmental Challenges

      September 14, 2011, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM

      Science: Nancy Abrams & Joel Primack: Our Human Place in the Cosmos

      Thursday, September 15, 2011, 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM.

      Sustainable Path: Biomimicry

      Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM

      Soundings from Island Press: Andy Dannenberg & Howard Frumkin: Making Healthy Places.

      Anne Engstrom
      206-784-1850