GTO tracking question

  • saradyehouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
      I have a 2002 GTO. I took it on a 3-week, 815mi tour. I had brand new Kenda Kontact tires on the front. Around 600 miles, the right tire wore down to nothing -- literally. The left is still in good shape after 1200 miles. Meanwhile, the new tire I put on the right is already showing signs of wear.

      I tried to balance the load in my panniers. If anything, it was heavier on the left side.

      What seems to be the problem? Are my wheels not true?

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Sara
    • Steve Doroghazi
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
        You need to have someone reset your alignment.  I think the toe in should be set between 1 and 2 MM.  this has nothing to do with your pannier load.  This is a common tadpole issue.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2010
          Is the rim true?  Hold something lightly against the side of the rim and spin the wheel.  There should be no perceptible sidewise wobble.

          How is that axal bearing?  Does it wobble or allow in and out play?

          Else wise your front end is probably out of alignment..  The toe in is the usual culprit but that should make both tires wear fast unless you steer predominantly by the left heading.  There should be no greater than 1/4 inch less front width than rear width between you wheels, measured at axal height.

          Is your right king pin loose or tie rod ends sloppy so that the wheel vibrates sidewise while in motion?

          Your caster and camber should wear only one side of the tire if out of alignment but the GS structure there is pretty sturdy unless you have sustained a crash or impact to that hub.

          Sincerely,  D. J. Brown, DBOG
              Skagit County,   WA  USA

          On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 12:07:32 -0000 "saradyehouse" <saradyehouse@...> writes:

          I have a 2002 GTO. I took it on a 3-week, 815mi tour. I had brand new Kenda Kontact tires on the front. Around 600 miles, the right tire wore down to nothing -- literally. The left is still in good shape after 1200 miles. Meanwhile, the new tire I put on the right is already showing signs of wear.

          I tried to balance the load in my panniers. If anything, it was heavier on the left side.

          What seems to be the problem? Are my wheels not true?

          Any advice would be appreciated.

          Sara

        • Mike Drewery
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010

            Hi Sara, Sounds like wheel alignment to me, certain measures have to be maintained on the adjustable tie-rods. Go to the Greenspeed web-site and down your model’s Maintenance Manual to get all the skinnies. Cheers, Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2010
              All on one side, overall,...??? Do you have a picture? I have not had this issue with my GTO.

              73/gus