LA Marathon XXIV/Acura LA Bike Tour/ Photos in Album

  • Scott Reiter
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2009
      Date:
      The L.A. Bike Tour is on Memorial Day and promises to be even bigger than last year,
      when over 15,000+ cyclists did a 20+ mi tour thru downtown L.A.
      It was reported to have been the largest mass cycling event in the world (per the speakers last year).
      I don't know the stats, but it was AWESOME,
      no mean hills and no cars. It was done BEFORE the L.A. Foot Marathon,
      with all car traffic held off the route.
      A Dawn Ride with Fireworks+.
      It was one of the greatest bike events I have ever participated in, and I got the same chills I had from participating in Woodstock decades earlier,
      only this was healthier.
      Judging by the increasing attendance each year,
      this should be the largest yet,
      and I even saw bents and kids easily finishing.
      I would rate it as a "Do not miss" cycling event and 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the L.A. Marathon
      which comes hours later.
      I will post some pics from last year in the Photo Section here under "Scotty's Album",
      and have included my American Flag setup which I bought at the 99cent store (sorry, it's a Catrike Pocket Tadpole Bent, which is a poor man's Greenspeed. lol)
      per prior query about flags.

      Monday, May 25, 2009
      Time:
      07:20 AM
      Venue:
      Los Angeles, CA
      Address:
      6th St and Figueroa St
      Los Angeles, CA 90071
      Fees:
      Acura LA Bike Tour - $40
      Online Registration Closes:
      05/20/09 11:59 PM
      Website:
      http://www.lamarathon.com
      Race Day Schedule
      5:00 am - Acura LA Bike Tour
      7:20 am - LA Marathon
      8:30 am - 5K Run/Walk
    • Mark L. Milstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2009
        Re: LA Bicycle Tour

        I'm not certain that the 15,000 bicycle qualifies it as the "largest
        cycling event", since the
        annual NY City "5 Boro Bicycle Tour" has a limit of 30,000 riders, and
        they are at capacity
        every year for the past 18 years.

        The NYC 5 Boro Tour is May 3rd this year, and I'm guessing it may well
        be in contention as
        the largest cycling event, in terms of sheer numbers of cyclists.

        Just my two cents.
        --Mark