New member

  • cecilg2580
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
      This past week I got my new GTO. It is Claret red with the yellow seat.
      I'm pretty excited about it and look forward to putting in lots of
      miles. There does not seem to be a lot of activity on this board. Does
      that mean there is another or is it just quiet for now? I hope to read
      and learn as much as possible and see all the great things you guys do
      to your trikes to upgrade them.

      Thanks, cecil
    • Judi Morris

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
          cecilg2580 wrote:
          > This past week I got my new GTO. It is Claret red with the yellow seat.
          > I'm pretty excited about it and look forward to putting in lots of
          > miles. There does not seem to be a lot of activity on this board. Does
          > that mean there is another or is it just quiet for now? I hope to read
          > and learn as much as possible and see all the great things you guys do
          > to your trikes to upgrade them.

          Activity just varies, I'm out riding a lot, however.

          Here's some photos of my GTR, with some of the stuff on it:
          http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/Greenspeed/my_gtr.html
          I've more goodies than are shown in the photos, always changes.

          Walt
        • Mike Labreche
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
            Good Morning,

            I had E-Mailed you a number of months asking about your trike. I have a Greenspeed GTR that is similar to your trike. It has a dark green frame with a yellow mesh seat. I have it set up almost like yours with the headrest, fenders, fairing,pedals, and the Arkel RT-60 panniers. I did change the crank to a Shimano XT mountain crank with a small granny gear and even then dropped it to at 22 tooth ring. This has certainly helped climbing any long steep hills. I also have also replaced all the small hardware (nuts, bolts and screws) with stainless steel allen bolts. I ordered a rack from Greenspeed for my trike but they sent one that would fit some other trike. I don't have the dimensions with me right now since I am at work but the rack they sent is wider than where the existing allen bolts are on the frame by about a 1/2 inch on each side. The vertical picture of the new rack if attached to the allen bolts by the axle would place this rack about an inch lower than the existing. I wanted this rack because it is suppose to be carry the extra weight. Was curious where you got your rack in the photos.
            Haven't been out on the trike for awhile. I have been riding lately here with a cycling club and with the trike I cannot keep up to average speeds. I have a Kona Mountain Bike that I converted over for touring with dropped bars, racks front and back, Brooks saddle, continental touring tires and fenders.

            All the Best,
            Michael LaBreche

            >>> Walter Knapp <wwknapp@...> 11/1/2007 3:12 AM >>>
            cecilg2580 wrote:
            > This past week I got my new GTO. It is Claret red with the yellow seat.
            > I'm pretty excited about it and look forward to putting in lots of
            > miles. There does not seem to be a lot of activity on this board. Does
            > that mean there is another or is it just quiet for now? I hope to read
            > and learn as much as possible and see all the great things you guys do
            > to your trikes to upgrade them.

            Activity just varies, I'm out riding a lot, however.

            Here's some photos of my GTR, with some of the stuff on it:
            http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/Greenspeed/my_gtr.html
            I've more goodies than are shown in the photos, always changes.

            Walt
          • Cecil Gregory
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007

              Thanks. I’m looking forward to putting on the miles.

              Cecil

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007

                Hi Walt,

                Thanks for the pics. It gives me a lot of ideas.

                Cecil

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Mike Labreche wrote:
                  > Good Morning,
                  >
                  > I had E-Mailed you a number of months asking about your trike. I
                  have >a Greenspeed GTR that is similar to your trike. It has a dark
                  green >frame with a yellow mesh seat. I have it set up almost like yours
                  with >the headrest, fenders, fairing,pedals, and the Arkel RT-60
                  panniers. I >did change the crank to a Shimano XT mountain crank with a
                  small granny >gear and even then dropped it to at 22 tooth ring. This
                  has certainly >helped climbing any long steep hills. I also have also
                  replaced all the >small hardware (nuts, bolts and screws) with stainless
                  steel allen >bolts.

                  I've got most of my hardware replaced with stainless. I'm currently
                  using a suntour crank, but the key feature is 175mm arms and 110/74 bolt
                  circles. I've several brands of those around. My gearing is currently
                  24-38-50 driving a 11-34 cassette on a Sachs 3X7. That combo gives me a
                  gear inch range of 10-118 gear inches with the Greenspeed kevlar
                  scorchers I'm currently running. Top speed on the flat of a little over
                  25mph, I'm a diesel truck rather than a hummingbird on crank rpm. I had
                  been running 24-40-52 which gave me a top speed of close to 30mph, but
                  slowed the spin more than I liked. I'm looking for a 51 tooth ring to try.

                  Also recently the original Sachs front derailer broke and I had a lot of
                  fun as current derailers don't have cable stops. I had to machine a
                  cable stop and am using a Ultegra front derailer, one of several that
                  have the same shape. Most of the original parts on my GTR were Sachs,
                  but I've changed most of the drive train now. The original gearing was
                  not as wide range as my current gearing.

                  My biggest problem with hardware right now is pads for the Sachs disc
                  brakes. I'm out and hunting more with little luck. I like the brakes,
                  don't want to have to rebuild to something else.

                  When riding locally I don't use the RT60's much, have a pair of small
                  panniers I made for front low riders on my upright tourer that I use
                  instead.

                  > I ordered a rack from Greenspeed for my trike but they sent one that
                  >would fit some other trike. I don't have the dimensions with me right
                  >now since I am at work but the rack they sent is wider than where the
                  >existing allen bolts are on the frame by about a 1/2 inch on each
                  side. >The vertical picture of the new rack if attached to the allen
                  bolts by >the axle would place this rack about an inch lower than the
                  existing. I >wanted this rack because it is suppose to be carry the
                  extra weight. >Was curious where you got your rack in the photos.

                  That's a Surly "Nice Rack". I had the same experience with the
                  Greenspeed heavy duty rack, it did not fit my older GTR at all. My GTR
                  came originally with a Blackburn MTN rack. The Surly is fully adjustable
                  for height, front mount width and reach, and is a heavy duty cromo steel
                  rack. Easy to fit on. I got mine off ebay, but it's a current product:
                  http://www.surlybikes.com/parts.html
                  I like the Surly as it's wider than most racks which fits the Arkel
                  tailrider better.

                  Walt
                • Mike Labreche
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                    Hello,

                    I went back to your previous E-Mail and tried to see if I could zoom in on your rack and the points where it is attached to the frame. I printed off the .pdf of the rack from Surly and check with my frame. I also have a smaller pair of Arkel pannier that I have used for weekend rides or for day rides I will just try to get away with the tailrider. Thanks. Appreciate the info.

                    Take care,
                    Michael LaBreche

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Mike Labreche wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I went back to your previous E-Mail and tried to see if I could zoom
                      in on your rack and the points where it is attached to the frame. I
                      printed off the .pdf of the rack from Surly and check with my frame. I
                      also have a smaller pair of Arkel pannier that I have used for weekend
                      rides or for day rides I will just try to get away with the tailrider.
                      Thanks. Appreciate the info.

                      The panniers for local have my raingear, warmth vest and tools. The
                      Tailrider has food, diabetic supplies and testkit, cellphone, wallet and
                      so on. I have to carry more stuff due to diabetes.

                      If you need any measurements on the rack, just tell me what you need. It
                      attaches to the rack supports near the axle via extensions that are
                      clamped to the main strut and the two bolt positions on the seat brace.
                      On the upper attachment surly has clamps that lock on a crossbar on the
                      rack anywhere and hold the forward straight braces. So you can adjust
                      width, brace length, and angle of the braces pretty much anywhere you
                      need them. Only really fixed dimension is the width between the two
                      sides. But you could easily spread or push the two sides together to
                      match your mount width.

                      Walt