486Ammill Willis b. 1772 att :bekaycee in NC!

  • banddhewett
    Jan 17, 2010
      Just wanted to let ya'll know that I came across another "Amil" in the Burke County, NC 1800 census. He is "Amil" Bailey.
      I know Burk was formed from Rowan 1777 - seems like a great place to look! I'm betting our Willis moved out of Rowan after 1772.

      I also had one of those spooky moments last week. I have shared my opinion with you that Ammill was either speaking with an accent or had a speech impediment (leaning toward German accent)! "Annel" (1810), "Ameral" (1820), "Amnel" (1830) - "Ambel" on the 1854 Giles tax list.
      If Ammill was German, he was one of the German/Swiss Baptists as we know from his Greenbrier church record (as opposed to German Lutheran as was his son-in-law, my John Tickle b.1803). Those folks followed the theology of Ulrich Zwingli; he originated the Baptist's literal Bible interpretation. Surprise! - 1860 Fayette IN census shows Amill Jr.'s son, Amill G. is called Zwingli! (1850 Lawrence, KY census gives us Amill G. as his true name). Then in 1870 in Terre Haute, our elusive Ammill's grandson's name appears as Zuenng. None of the census takers could spell that one either. Coincidence?

      Also in the 1860 census Ammill Jr. calls himself "H. Willis". H for Henry?

      Donna Hewett
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic