current state of the LotGR campaign?

  • Andrew Beard
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
      Can someone explain what the current state of the LotGR campaign is, in
      terms of mod releases/release schedule? I was under the impression
      that GenCon Indy (and the extended premires) marked the special that
      was the last mod of the campaign (and the level 14 bump). I've heard
      that the special is actually not running at GenCon Indy, and LGR-23 is
      instead (despite the con schedule up on the RPGA and Gencon Indy
      website).

      What's going on here? Is LGR-23 going to see general release, and does
      this mean that the campaign is actually ending at Winter Fantasy 2006?

      Andrew Beard
    • Brandemuhl, Konrad
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
        Currently there is a 4 part arc in progress:
        LGR 21 - The Truth of Hearts (Origins Premier)
        LGR 22 - As Seconds Slip Away (Origins Premier)
        LGR 23 - Strange Bedfellows (Gencon Indy Premier)
        LGR 24 - ? (GenCon SoCal Premier Planned) from what I heard.

        The LGR Special originally planed for GenCon Indy 05 has been push
        backed to WF06. LGR 23 replaced it at Indy. GenCon program is
        submitted many months in advance and at the time the finale was still
        planned for a GenCon Indy. Programming changes with actual availability
        of modules.

        Most of these modules have been written months ago by Greg Marks. There
        were designed around specific level bumps. So LGR23 was designed for
        14th level characters. Indy was supposed to have the 14th level bump
        for the Special but it has been pushed back. So consequently, the
        modules are over powering for the current levels (10-13) of the players.
        Judges need to adjust the difficulty downwards. Don't blame the author.
        The campaign and author had every intention for the modules to be of
        appropriate challenge. I believe the campaign wanted to get the story
        arc out before the finale, hence the delayed roll-out.

        I ran three tables at Indy, and could very easily TPK every round but
        adjusting the difficulty downwards makes for more entertaining rounds.
        They still felt some combats were overpowering (a couple tables were
        laughing and crying at the same time). No deaths were reported at my
        tables.

        After the finale at WF06, the Special will be available to all WF
        Expanded Premier conventions organizers, per EP program (doesn't
        guarantee that they will run tables of it at their convention). The
        modules LGR 23 and 24 should be available even after WF06, for a limited
        number of months.

        At the major Cons (Origins and GenCon), new players are still joining
        the campaign or at least giving it a try. Many are somewhat
        disappointed to hear that it will be ending soon. Most will not be able
        to become vested in the campaign, as they will have limited play
        opportunities. At my table, if the players were new to LGR, I gave a
        synopsis of LGR21 & 22 before they played LGR23 so at least they had
        some background info.

        At the RPGA members meeting, the question was raised about, what happens
        to FR after LGR? There are currently no firm plans but they are kicking
        around ideas.

        Konrad Brandemuhl
        On

      • lcjunkie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
          what's the point of this campaign since we haven't even had campaign standards update since Gencon '04. I was a big fan, but I gave up completely on this.
        • Brandemuhl, Konrad
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005

            I think at WF05, they announce no additional updates to the Standard.  (Just the occasional level bump info on a web site.)  Each individual takes different things from different campaigns.  I think it was a valuable learning tool for RPGA.

            Konrad Brandemuhl

            what's the point of this campaign since we haven't even had campaign standards update since Gencon '04. I was a big fan, but I gave up completely on this.

          • Jason S Wu
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
              > At the RPGA members meeting, the question was raised about,
              > what happens to FR after LGR? There are currently no firm
              > plans but they are kicking around ideas.

              Living City 2: Electric Bugaloo!

              <ducks and runs>

              -jason

              Jason S Wu
              jason@...
            • Skerrit
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 23, 2005
                > From: "Brandemuhl, Konrad" <konrad.brandemuhl@...>
                > Subject: RE: current state of the LotGR campaign?
                >
                > Currently there is a 4 part arc in progress:
                > LGR 21 - The Truth of Hearts (Origins Premier)
                > LGR 22 - As Seconds Slip Away (Origins Premier)
                > LGR 23 - Strange Bedfellows (Gencon Indy Premier)
                > LGR 24 - ? (GenCon SoCal Premier Planned) from what I heard.

                LGR24 is called "To Sever the Snake's Head"

                > Most of these modules have been written months ago by Greg Marks.

                Everything from LGR19 to LGR24.

                There
                > were designed around specific level bumps. So LGR23 was designed for
                > 14th level characters. Indy was supposed to have the 14th level bump
                > for the Special but it has been pushed back. So consequently, the
                > modules are over powering for the current levels (10-13) of the players.
                > Judges need to adjust the difficulty downwards. Don't blame the author.

                I will note that SRM has included some suggests in LGR23 for downgraded,
                but given the equipment, spell choices, and tactics I've given the NPCs
                assuming 14th level PCs, the Judges need to do more, or you will kill most
                parties.

                > I think at WF05, they announce no additional updates to the Standard.
                > (Just the occasional level bump info on a web site.) Each individual
                > takes different things from different campaigns. I think it was a
                > valuable learning tool for RPGA.

                I think the problems encountered with LGR have gone a long way toward
                improving MoH, which still isn't perfect, but everyone is learning at least.

                Greg Marks
                Author of stuff
              • rangercoric
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 24, 2005
                  --- In GreenRegent@yahoogroups.com, "Brandemuhl, Konrad"
                  <konrad.brandemuhl@o...> wrote:
                  > were designed around specific level bumps. So LGR23 was designed for
                  > 14th level characters. Indy was supposed to have the 14th level bump
                  > for the Special but it has been pushed back. So consequently, the
                  > modules are over powering for the current levels (10-13) of the players.
                  > Judges need to adjust the difficulty downwards. Don't blame the author.
                  > The campaign and author had every intention for the modules to be of
                  > appropriate challenge. I believe the campaign wanted to get the story
                  > arc out before the finale, hence the delayed roll-out.

                  Ah, so that explains it.

                  And were the Gen Con GMs _told_ that they needed to adjust the
                  difficulty? Or was it assumed they'd understand to do so?

                  I was part of a TPK as a result of 23 and believe me, I was sitting
                  there wonder how the heck to hit something with an AC in the high 30s,
                  with a 10th level character but avoid being hit with something that
                  had a 20+ to hit.

                  grrrrrrr.
                • Brandemuhl, Konrad
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24, 2005
                    Not sure. I'm guessing not. I don't recall being told to adjust, but I
                    could have been ignoring the comment I already knew about. I lean on
                    the boiler plate of each module which states:

                    Use your DM's discretion, though. If the PCs are having too hard or
                    too easy of a time, feel free to increase or decrease the level of
                    challenge. The goal is to challenge the PCs, not overwhelm or
                    even underwhelm them. The most enjoyable D&D games are the ones
                    where failure and death are a possibility, but success and reward
                    are attainable through daring and smart play.

                    What I've learned from LGR and MoH, is that these types of campaigns
                    should be more about player fun, story line, and campaign world and less
                    about tough challenges, overwhelming monsters, character death, etc.

                    Konrad Brandemuhl