Fw: 41008.2Re: [GreenLeft_discussion] 41006.1ritaandsomestars Re: HELEN MIRREN

  • max watts
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2004
      From: "Clancy Sigal" <clancy@...>
      To: "max watts" <rosiek@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:48 AM
      Subject: 41008.2Re: [GreenLeft_discussion] 41006.1ritaandsomestars Re: HELEN
      MIRREN

      > Can Fred Feldman explain meaning of "butter your watch?" to an expatriate
      > American brit? Clancy

    • Fred Feldman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 14, 2004
        Message
        In the Disney version of  Alice in Wonderland, the Mad Hatter asks the March Hare, "Butter your toast?", then grabs his pocket watch, opens it, proclaims, Butter Your Watch?" sloshes butter on it, and then has to be restrained from buttering the Dormouse.  I always remembered this scene as being in the book, but it isn't.  Anyway, I could always picture Healy, proclaiming -- or perhaps threateningly commanding in his case -- "Butter your watch!"
        Fred

        Visit http://www.greenleft.org.au