What do you think of this?

  • berrell123
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
      Ethics drown in oil

      South Africa was banned from the Olympics for excluding blacks. Saudi
      Arabia excludes women but is welcome in Athens. The difference? Oil
      18aug04

      AND THE gold medal for hypocrisy goes to . . . the Athens Olympics!

      What a fantastic effort! Watch Olympic officials simultaneously turn
      somersaults, kiss backsides and look the other way as extremist
      Islamic regimes reveal their barbaric prejudices against women and
      Jews.
      It's odd how the International Olympics Committee lets these
      countries -- notably Saudi Arabia and Iran -- get away with racist
      and sexist thuggery that's had poorer and whiter countries banned
      from competing.

      Why this tolerance for the once intolerable? Let's sit over here on
      these oil barrels, dear reader, and ask ourselves -- why, why, why.

      As you probably noticed right from the opening ceremony, there's a
      couple of countries in Athens that play by different rules.

      The Saudi Arabian team turned up without a single female athlete,
      repeating a feat that it, and seven other Muslim nations, pulled at
      the Sydney Games.

      Perhaps that's not surprising, given Saudi Arabia bans women from all
      sports and even physical education in schools, thanks to a
      fundamentalist Islamist regime that thinks the less people see of
      women, the healthier.

      But what is surprising is that the IOC won't order the Saudis out of
      the Games until they join the 21st century and free their women.

      After all, Afghanistan's Taliban regime was banned from Sydney for
      doing just what the Saudis are doing now -- refusing to select women
      in their team.

      But, alas for the Taliban, now thankfully toppled with our help, they
      had little oil, when, as the Saudis will tell you, some of that
      greasy stuff will slip you under almost any door.

      And no one has more of that grease than the Saudis, not even the
      Iranians.

      Ah, yes, Iran. Well, at least Iran, a country "led" by Islamic
      authoritarians who jail their critics, did select one woman to go to
      Athens.

      You may have seen her, sweating in the opening ceremony under a heavy
      burqa.

      Poor Nassim Hassanpour. If it wasn't for that burqa -- which the
      ayatollahs back home insist she wear -- this teenager would be
      competing in a sport she's loved since she was three.

      "If the dress code was not an issue, I would have preferred to stick
      with gymnastics," she said. But she'd had to switch instead to the
      air pistol, which is one of the very few sports you can play while
      wearing a tent.

      This also explains why you'll see not a single Iranian woman in
      Athens swimming, running, jumping, tumbling or playing soccer.

      B UT what does the IOC do? Time for another Compare and Contrast, the
      official measure of Olympic hypocrisy.

      In 1964, South Africa's apartheid regime was thrown out of the
      Olympics -- not to be readmitted for 28 years -- for enforcing
      apartheid and refusing to pick black athletes. Such discrimination
      horrified the IOC, and all decent people.

      Yet when Muslim countries refuse to pick female athletes, the IOC
      gives this sexual apartheid a pass.

      Not just the IOC, either. Remember how the 1976 Montreal Games was
      wrecked by the boycott by many African countries, furious at New
      Zealand for having had its rugby team tour South Africa?

      But these nations aren't just silent over Muslim discrimination
      against women, but are silent, too, over a newly fashionable racism
      of the old sort.

      On Sunday, Iran's Arash Miresmaeili, the under-66kg world judo
      champion, forfeited his opening bout with an Israeli opponent on
      Sunday, officially because he failed to make the weight.

      But ignore that excuse. Anti-Semitic Iran has a ban on all contact
      with Israel, a country it won't recognise, and Miresmaeili announced
      he'd actually "refused to play against an Israeli rival to sympathise
      with the oppressed Palestinian people". The speaker of the Iranian
      parliament was so thrilled that he congratulated Miresmaeili on
      his "brave decision", and the boss of Iran's judo federation declared
      he "must receive a special prize".

      And the IOC's response to this apartheid? I've heard nothing yet, but
      I can't hear bats squeak, either.

      Still, refusing to play with Jews hardly counts as unacceptable
      behaviour any more, does it? Not like refusing to play with blacks.

      So when is racism not racism? When it's perpetrated by a Muslim
      regime with lots of oil, and a secret nuclear program as well. Those
      kinds of credentials will get you in anywhere, particularly the
      Olympics.

      It's times like this that I suspect what the "Olympic movement"
      really is. High time for a flush
    • Michael Karadjis
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
        "berrel123" is obviously a Zionist provocateur. If he/she is incapable of
        seeing the gross hyprocrisy he/she writes when calling Iran's actions'
        "apartheid" for refusing to contest someone from nthe ultra-apartheid state
        of Israel in solidarity with the Palestinian people - something the Iranian
        should bbe applauded for - then I suggest he?she is in the wrong place. It
        is true that there is hyprocrisy about the fact that apartheid South Africa
        was excluded but ultra-apartheid Israel - a state more apartheid than South
        Africa ever was - takes part as if nothing is happening.

        in today's circumstances as Sharon prepares the final solution against the
        Palestinain people I leave to the moderator what to do with zionist
        provocateurs like this creep

        Michael Karadjis

> [...]
        > he'd actually "refused to play against an Israeli rival to sympathise
        > with the oppressed Palestinian people". The speaker of the Iranian
        > parliament was so thrilled that he congratulated Miresmaeili on
        > his "brave decision", and the boss of Iran's judo federation declared
        > he "must receive a special prize".
        >
        > And the IOC's response to this apartheid? I've heard nothing yet, but
        > I can't hear bats squeak, either.
        >
        > Still, refusing to play with Jews hardly counts as unacceptable
        > behaviour any more, does it? Not like refusing to play with blacks.
        >
        > So when is racism not racism? When it's perpetrated by a Muslim
        > regime with lots of oil, and a secret nuclear program as well. Those
        > kinds of credentials will get you in anywhere, particularly the
        > Olympics.
        >
        > It's times like this that I suspect what the "Olympic movement"

      • lordludd66
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2004
          I pointed out the activities of this individual some time ago both
          on and off list regarding message 7926 and it's link to an extreme
          right wing site.

          --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Karadjis"