Biggest protest march in living memory | Sign On

  • glparramatta
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      http://www.signon.org.nz/blog/biggest-protest-march-in-living-memory

      Biggest protest march in living memory

      <http://www.signon.org.nz/blog/biggest-protest-march-in-living-memory>

      Submitted by Kathy Cumming on Sat, 01/05/2010 - 14:01

      We expected 20,000. We HOPED for 30,000. We got nearly double that. In
      the biggest protest march in living memory, 50,000 turned out on Queen
      Street today to march against the Government's mining plans.

      The photos say it all (see below). Greenpeace ambassador Robyn Malcolm
      also puts it pretty good when she says: "For nearly 50,000 Kiwis to turn
      out and be prepared to speak with one voice, must tell the Government
      something. And that something is this: we, the people of NZ get it; we
      get the argument, we see what you’re up to and we won’t have it. Our
      land will always be more important to our identity than some extra
      dollars in the pockets of mining companies."

      Take heed, John Key and your Government. Had you been there today on
      Queen Street, you would have felt an energy untapped since the heady
      days of anti-nuclear marches. New Zealanders have spoken; you must
      listen. We will not stand by while you squander our land, reputation and
      climate.

      See the full coverage at http://www.dontunderminenz.org