Vote for Bush & reinstate draft in 2005

  • John Brannan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004
      http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/u_s__draft.html

      U.S. Draft in 2005

      Actions Indicate Administration Has Plan To Reinstate Military Draft
      if Bush Re-Elected

      By Mike Blair

      A military draft may be reinstated by mid-2005 if President George W.
      Bush is re-elected in November. An appropriation of $28 million has
      been provided in the current defense budget to bring the nation's
      Selective Service System up to speed, which many people believe will
      likely lead to a national draft of young men and women by June 15,
      2005.

      U.S. military professionals have told American Free Press that due to
      the Iraq war and large troop deployments in Korea and Europe, a
      manpower shortage in the armed forces has reached "a state of
      critical mass."

      Neither Bush nor his Democratic opponent, Sen. John Kerry (Mass.),
      would dare to push for reinstating the draft during an election year.
      The draft was ended in 1973. But many people believe Bush has put the
      machinery in place to begin a draft by June 15, 2005, which includes
      setting up and staffing local Selective Service boards throughout
      America.

      The Pentagon has begun a program to fill 10,350 local draft board
      positions and 11,070 appeals board posts as soon as possible.

      Last September, the Pentagon ran an ad for volunteers to fill the
      slots. But when it was reported in the news media, the ad was quietly
      pulled.

      Registration for the draft ended in 1975. Under President Jimmy
      Carter, however, registration was reinstated for all men between the
      ages of 18 and 25 in 1980, in an amendment to the Military Selective
      Service Act.

      Currently, legislation is pending in the House and Senate to renew
      the draft.

      In the House there is H.R. 163, which was introduced last year by
      Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.). It was referred to the House Armed
      Services Committee and the House Subcommittee on Total Force.

      H.R. 163 has 14 co-sponsors, including Reps. Neil Abercrombie (D-
      Hawaii), Donna M. Christensen (D-Va.), John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.),
      Alcee L. Hastings (D-Fla.), John Lewis (D-Ga.), James P. Moran (D-
      Va.), Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-Calif.) Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), William
      Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-
      Texas.), Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), and
      Nydia M. Velazquez (D-N.Y.).

      Most of those who have signed on to support the bill are members of
      the Congressional Black Caucus. However, Rangel and the bill's co-
      sponsors contend, as Rangel puts it: "Those who love this country
      have a patriotic obligation to defend this country. For those who say
      the poor fight better, I say give the rich a chance."

      Rangel said primarily the poor and minorities are serving in Iraq,
      getting wounded and killed.

      Under the bill, the draft would apply to men and women ages 18 to 26,
      the 20-year-olds being taken first, with exemptions to allow people
      to graduate from high school. But college students would have to
      serve, unlike during the Vietnam War, when attending college was a
      stay-home pass.

      SHOULDER THE BURDEN

      In the Senate a companion bill, S. 89, has been introduced by Sen.
      Ernest F. "Fritz" Hollings (D-S.C.), which has been referred to the
      Committee on Armed Services.

      Said Hollings: "We all share the benefits of life in America, and
      under this plan, we all help shoulder the burden of defending our
      freedoms. Our proposal ensures that all Americans answer the call of
      duty. High school students could be deferred until they graduate, but
      in no case will that deferment extend beyond the age of 20. As we
      fight this war on terrorism and protect our way of life, we must once
      again listen to the words of President John F. Kennedy, who implored
      us to `ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do
      for your country'."

      Army commanders in Iraq want more troops to combat the growing
      guerrilla war that is engulfing the country and causing daily deaths
      among U.S. troops.

      Even Republican members of the Senate are beginning to talk about a
      draft being needed to fill manpower gaps.

      "Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility
      and pay some price?" said Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) at a recent
      Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing. His comments came just
      after the Pentagon moved to extend the missions of some 20,000 of the
      134,000 troops in Iraq.

      Hagel said that restoring the draft would force "our citizens to
      understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

      Only one Army division remains in the United States.

      The continued deployment of the National Guard and Reserves has
      created a mass exodus of troops from their ranks.

      For example, the Massachusetts National Guard's recruiting was down
      30 percent last year. Of Reserve and National Guard troops sent to
      Iraq, 46 percent said they had no intention of re-enlisting. This has
      not only resulted in a manpower crisis but a critical loss of talent
      for the Guard and Reserves.

      Further angering National Guard and Reserve troops, the Bush
      administration has initiated what is referred to as a "stop loss"
      program, which mandates that members of the Guard and Reserves cannot
      leave the military until 90 days after they have been deactivated.

      "I just shudder to think what would happen if another war scenario
      pops up suddenly somewhere in the world, with a single division of
      regular troops remaining as reserves. We would be in big trouble, and
      I cannot emphasize enough how big `big' is," a retired Air Force
      officer told American Free Press.