40530.1The day the tanks arrived at Rafah zoo

  • max watts
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2004
      From: "Dorothy Naor" <dor_naor@...>
      To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:>
      Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 7:00 AM
      Subject: [New Profile] The day the tanks arrived at Rafah zoo

      Dear All,

      The report below about the destruction of the zoo reveals that the sole
      purpose of the campaign in Rafah is to destroy and harass. But it
      demolishes not only Rafah but also IOF morality. Imagine how men and women
      who devastate even a zoo will conduct themselves after they are released
      from the army.

      For more in today’s news on Rafah see also

      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/22/international/middleeast/22gaza.html

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A46628-2004May21?language

      May we Israelis and Palestinians see better days, soon.

      Dorothy

      The day the tanks arrived at Rafah zoo

      Among ruined houses, a haven for Gaza's children lies in rubble

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4930125-103552,00.html

      Chris McGreal in al-Brazil, Rafah
      Saturday May 22, 2004
      The Guardian
      Ask to be directed to the latest wave of Israeli destruction in Rafah's
      al-Brazil neighbourhood and many fingers point towards the zoo.
      Amid the rubble of dozens of homes that the Israeli army continued yesterday
      to deny demolishing, the wrecking of the tiny, but only, zoo in the Gaza
      Strip took on potent symbolism for many of the newly homeless.
      The butchered ostrich, the petrified kangaroo cowering in a basement corner,
      the tortoises crushed under the tank treads - all were held up as evidence
      of the pitiless nature of the Israeli occupation.
      "People are more important than animals," said the zoo's co-owner Mohammed
      Ahmed Juma, whose house was also demolished. "But the zoo is the only place
      in Rafah that children could escape the tense atmosphere. There were slides
      and games for children. We had a small swimming pool. I know it's hard to
      believe, looking at it now, but it was beautiful. Why would they destroy
      that? Because they want to destroy everything about us."
      The systematic demolition of homes was revealed yesterday as Israeli forces
      partially pulled out of al-Brazil on the fifth day of an operation
      officially to hunt down Palestinian fighters and weapons-smuggling tunnels
      running under the border from Egypt.
      More than 40 people have been killed in the assault, about a third of them
      civilians, besides targets of the operation such as the Hamas military
      commander in al-Brazil who was hit by a missile.
      About 45 buildings were razed by the army in the area it pulled back from
      yesterday, some of them two or three storeys high and housing several
      families.
      The military says the houses were wrecked by Palestinian bombs planted to
      attack Israeli forces, or accidentally by tanks turning in the street. But
      Palestinians consistently gave similar accounts of armoured bulldozers
      arriving at the door and giving the residents just minutes to get out, at
      best.
      "The bulldozer started hitting the house," said Juma Abu Hammad sitting on
      the remains of his eight-bed-roomed home that housed two families with 15
      children. "I grabbed the children. We did not take a single thing with us,
      even very important documents like birth certificates. I was just worried
      about the lives of the children."
      Aziza Monsour, 54, pointed to the remains of a yellow taxi tossed by a
      bulldozer on the top of what remained of a neighbouring house. "That taxi
      was our only living," she said. "My husband drove it. It provided for
      everyone who lived in this house."
      But there is no house any more.
      "The blade of the bulldozer hit the room we were sitting in," said Mrs
      Monsour. "I waved my white headscarf at the soldiers as we pleaded with them
      to let us go. We were running between the tanks and the shooting and
      counting the children as we went to make sure they were all still with us.
      This is revenge, absolute revenge, for the seven Israeli soldiers killed in
      Rafah."
      None of the homes left destroyed yesterday is close to the "Philadelphi
      road" security strip under Israeli control along the Egyptian border, and is
      therefore un-likely to have been used to dig weapons-smuggling tunnels.
      It is unclear whether other homes, next to the border, have also been
      demolished as Israeli forces retain control of that part of al-Brazil.
      The army said that after five days of searching, "the beginnings of a
      tunnel" had been found, although not in the area of the mass demolitions.
      The military also denied it had deliberately destroyed homes.
      "We did not destroy any houses in al-Brazil," said a spokeswoman who
      identified herself as Eli. "There was damage to buildings from fighting. The
      terrorists activate explosive devices under the road or next to the
      buildings. These bombs that destroy tanks can easily destroy a house."
      But, aside from the accounts of Palestinians who fled their homes, the
      destruction is not consistent with individual explosions. Off al-Imam road,
      nearly 20 houses in a row were wrecked. There was no sign of a massive
      explosion, such as a crater in the road or damage to houses standing next to
      the wrecked buildings.
      Opposite, bulldozers had torn up an olive grove belonging to a well-known
      family in the area, the Qishtas.
      The demolitions in al-Brazil are the third time the Israeli army has
      misrepresented its actions in Rafah this week.
      On Tuesday the military dismissed accusations that an Israeli sniper shot
      two children in the head, claiming they were blown up by a Palestinian bomb.
      But the bodies of both children were later shown to each have only a single
      bullet wound to the head.
      On Wednesday the army said armed men made up the majority of 10 people
      killed when an Israeli tank fired into a peaceful demonstration. In fact
      half of the victims were children and television footage showed no weapons
      among the demonstrators.
      The army also initially denied that soldiers deliberately wrecked the zoo
      that provided Rafah's children with virtually their only contact with live
      animals, even ordinary ones such as squirrels, goats and tortoises.
      Among the zoo's more popular exhibits were kangaroos, monkeys and ostriches,
      which children could sit on.
      The destruction was comprehensive. The fountain and its tiles were a jumble
      of rubble in one corner. There was no sign of the swimming pool.
      One of the ostriches lay half buried in the rubble. Guinea fowl and ducks
      were laid out in a row. Goats and a deer struggled with broken legs.
      Some of the animals were still on the loose, if not buried under the debris.
      One of the two kangaroos was missing; the other was cowering in the
      basement. A snake and three monkeys were unaccounted for. Mr Juma accused
      Israeli soldiers of stealing valuable African parrots.
      The army's explanation evolved through the day. At first it said it had not
      destroyed the zoo, then it said a tank may have accidentally reversed into
      it.
      By the end of yesterday, the military said its soldiers had been forced to
      drive through the zoo because an alternative route was booby-trapped by
      Palestinian explosives.
      Finally a spokesman said the soldiers had released the animals from their
      cages in a compassionate gesture to prevent them being harmed.
      · Israeli forensic experts are examining human remains handed over by a
      Lebanese group to see whether they are those of the missing airman Ron Arad,
      who bailed out over Lebanon 18 years ago, Israel Radio said. It did not
      identify the group which handed over the remains.

      Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2004

      Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
      Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
      invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
      http://click.topica.com/caaccMMbUrJimbVDuYtf/ Sharebuilder

      If this message was forwarded to you, you can subscribe to the list directly
      by sending a blank message to:
      mailto:NewProfile-subscribe@...

      New Profile – Movement for the Civil-ization of Israeli Society
      POB 3454, Ramat HaSharon 47100, Israel
      E-mail: mailto:info@...
      Voice box: ++972-(0)3-516-01-19
      Website: http://www.newprofile.org/