LPDOC Acts: Breaking News: Peltier Back @ Lewisburg; etc..

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 6:17 AM
      Breaking News: Peltier Back at Lewisburg
      Leonard has been transferred back to USP-Lewisburg and released
      to the general population. He was welcomed back not only by
      the brothers at Lewisburg, but by all of the prisoners. Leonard
      wishes to thank all of his supporters for standing with him during
      this difficult time. But we need to finish the job. Take Action:
      http://www.FreePeltierNow.org/transfer.htm.

      Leonard's address:

      Leonard Peltier
      #89637-132
      USP-Lewisburg
      US Penitentiary
      PO Box 1000
      Lewisburg, PA 17837
      -----

      The Primary Directive: Survival
      On January 13, 2009, 64-year-old and ailing Indigenous activist
      Leonard Peltier was transferred to USP-Canaan, a maximum security
      facility in Waymart, Pennsylvania. Not long after his arrival,
      Peltier was attacked by two young inmates and sustained a
      number of injuries. Proven to be the victim of the attack via
      videographic evidence, Peltier is nevertheless being held in
      solitary confinement and is unable to contact family but once
      a month. Peltier's attorneys were denied access to their client
      for four days. A protest in support of Peltier, a member of the
      American Indian Movement, occurred in San Francisco on January 23.
      Other protests are being planned in Colorado and elsewhere on or
      around February 6, the 33rd anniversary of Peltier's arrest in
      connection with the shooting deaths of two agents of the Federal
      Bureau of Investigation. Peltier's Nation, the Turtle Mountain
      Band of Chippewa Indians, passed a resolution late last year
      requesting Peltier's transfer into their custody to serve the
      remainder of his sentence. Family members are supportive of such
      a transfer. Alternatively, family members want Peltier transferred
      closer to home, either to FCI Sandstone (MN) or FCI Oxford (WI).
      Peltier's security rating has been greatly reduced by the Bureau
      of Prisons (BOP) in recognition of his model behavior for the
      past 30 years. "The fact is that Peltier is an innocent man.
      He should be given his freedom. All that aside, his current
      security rating means he shouldn't even be in a maximum security
      prison anymore," said Peltier attorney Mike Kuzma. "In light of
      this incident, we know that the BOP cannot ensure Leonard's safety
      in a maximum-security environment."

      * Take Action *

      Very soon, the BOP will decide how to resolve this matter. Leonard
      may be returned to general population. While this is preferable to
      solitary confinement, we already know that the BOP can't or won't
      protect Leonard from harm. We must keep up the pressure on the BOP
      to transfer Leonard to one of the three above locations. Today and
      every day over the next several weeks, make your voices heard.
      Send letters, call, and/or e-mail the director of BOP.

      Harley G. Lappin, Director
      Bureau of Prisons
      U.S. Department of Justice
      320 First Street., NW
      Room 654
      Washington, DC 20534
      Phone: (202) 307-3250
      Fax: (202) 514-6878
      E-mail: hlappin@...

      A sample letter (that you can adapt and use for a telephone script,
      as well) follows.

      -----

      Dear Sir:

      I was outraged to learn that, on January 13, Leonard Peltier
      was transferred to USP-Canaan in Waymart, Pennsylvania, where
      he was immediately attacked and injured by young gang members.
      Your inability to protect Mr. Peltier in this or any other maximum
      security facility is clearly evident.

      I understand that last August Mr. Peltier properly submitted a formal
      application for transfer to an institution close to his home in North
      Dakota-either the low-security prison at Sandstone, Minnesota, or the
      medium-security facility in Oxford, Wisconsin. Such an assignment,
      I know, would comply with Program Statement 5100.08 which states
      that the BOP is to make every effort to keep prisoners within a
      500-mile radius of their homes so that prisoners can maintain ties
      to their families and home communities. In reviewing Mr. Peltier's
      places of confinement during the past 33 years, however, I was
      shocked to discover that he has never received such consideration.
      Apparently, your rules don't apply to Mr. Peltier and never have.

      In addition, in late 2008, the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa
      Indians also sent a resolution to you offering a third option,
      i.e., that their tribesman Peltier be transferred to that Nation's
      custody to serve the remainder of his sentence.

      Leonard has been a model prisoner for the past 30 years.
      In recognition of this, the BOP has greatly reduced his
      security rating. Peltier shouldn't be imprisoned in a maximum
      security facility anymore. His reduced security rating, Peltier's
      application, and his Tribal Council's request should have been but
      clearly weren't taken into account in the BOP's recent decision
      to transfer Peltier to yet another maximum security prison-and one
      where his safety and wellbeing were put in such serious jeopardy.

      The only remedy to the current situation is for you to immediately
      transfer Mr. Peltier to one of the above, more appropriate
      facilities. I strongly urge you to do so.

      Sincerely,

      (Your Name)
      (Your Street Address)
      (Your City, State and Zip Code)

      -----

      Please be persistent. Leonard needs your help. This advocacy
      on Leonard's behalf will take only moments out of our busy days.
      We must let the director of the BOP know that the only responsible
      thing for him to do is to assign Leonard to a safe environment.
      We must also let him know that we will hold him responsible should
      he fail to provide for Leonard's safety.
      -----

      Bush Strikes at the Heart of Leonard Peltier
      Bush denies clemency to Peltier
      http://freepeltiernow.blogspot.com/2009/01/bush-denied-clemency-for-
      some-high.html

      Defense Committee Media Advisory
      http://freepeltiernow.blogspot.com/2009/01/native-americans-and-
      supporters.html

      Op-Ed by Friends of Peltier
      Primum Non Nocere
      http://freepeltiernow.blogspot.com/2009/01/primum-non-nocere.html

      -----

      Time to set him free... Because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

      Friends of Peltier

      http://www.FreePeltierNow.org

      mail-list.com 1302 Waugh Dr. #438, Houston, Texas 77019 USA