RN3280HL4RIDDENHOURBISINIRAQ

  • max watts
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004

      From: max watts
      Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 7:46 PM
      Subject: RN3280YHLRIDDENHOURBISINIRAQ

      RN3280HLRIDDENHOURBISINIRAQ

      RIDDENHOUR BIS IN IRAQ

      MAYDAY 2004: 2 BANANAS FOR 1/ DOUBLEGUESSING MAX: WHY DO THE STORIES BELOW CALL UP "RIDDENHOUR" TO MY OLD MIND ? 2/ MAYDAY IS A MODERN FORM OF "SOS"AND A DAY FOR MARCHING FEET. WHERE DOES THE SECOND ITEM COME FROM ? (CHOOSE: a/ Paris b/ Chicago c/ Saint Petersburg d/ Oz e/ none of the above ? – get your third banana for putting dates in !) (Answers on request, max)

      AS WHEN RIDDENHOUR DID HIS RITAING, THIS IS BUT A TIP OF A MULTIMOUNTED ICEBERG.

      Many thanks to West Oz Joan for picking this up so fast !

      Max, this is RITA. Two pieces. First British troops torturing Iraqi prisoners - then a piece by a soldier who, reported torture in January and, couldn't get anyone to listen to him. It's horrific. Please read both items. ___ Joan

      Punched, kicked, then left to die

      Iraqi detainee 'beaten and urinated upon' as accusations of widespread mistreatment spread to UK forces

      Matthew Taylor

      Saturday May 1, 2004
      The Guardian

      The British Army was at the centre of new torture allegations last night after pictures showed an Iraqi prisoner being battered with rifle butts, threatened with execution and urinated on by British soldiers.

      The shocking images drew immediate condemnation from the prime minister and led the Ministry of Defence to launch an investigation.

      The prisoner - thought to have been a thief - had his jaw broken and his teeth smashed during an eight-hour ordeal after being arrested near the southern Iraqi city of Basra.

      Bleeding and vomiting, he was eventually driven away from the army camp, still hooded, and thrown off the back of a moving vehicle. He was not charged with an offence and it is not known whether he lived or died.

      The photographs were given to the Mirror newspaper by soldiers who said the horrific treatment of prisoners was widespread and was one of the main reasons why coalition forces faced such fierce opposition in Iraq.

      One told the newspaper: "We are not helping ourselves out there. We are never going to get them on our side. We are fighting a losing war."

      Last night the chief of general staff, General Sir Michael Jackson, condemned the incident.

      Sir Michael said: "I am aware of the allegations which have been made today of the abuse of prisoners by British soldiers in Iraq. If proven, not only is such appalling conduct clearly unlawful, but it also contravenes the British Army's high standards.

      "All allegations are already under investigation. If proven, the perpetrators are not fit to wear the Queen's uniform. They have besmirched the good name of the Army and its honour.

      "Most emphatically, the British Army should not be judged by the reprehensible ill-discipline of a few soldiers who, by their shameful behaviour, have let down those tens of thousands of British soldiers who have worked, and still do, in difficult and dangerous conditions in the most commendable way, in particular in Iraq, where their sole purpose is to help the Iraqis to a new and better future."

      A soldier who witnessed the man's arrest and beating told the Mirror how the prisoner had been held during a raid on suspected thieves at Basra docks in southern Iraq.

      "We just caught the one guy that time. Straight away, he gets a beating - a couple of punches and kicks to put him down. Then he was dragged to the back of the vehicle." A sandbag was placed over the man's head and his hands tied.

      The soldier said the man had been hit with batons. "You normally try to leave off the face until you are in camp," he told the Mirror. "If you pull up with black eyes and bleeding faces, you could be in a bit of shit. So it is body shots, just scaring him."

      The prisoner was kept for around eight hours while the beatings were carried out. The photographs show him being bludgeoned with rifle butts in the head and groin.

      A gunbarrel is placed in the prisoner's mouth through the bag on his head, while others kick and stamp on him. One soldier urinates on him.

      In the final few photographs the man is barely conscious, his shirt torn, while vomit seeps through the sack on his head.

      The soldier, who admits he took part in the attack, said the man was pleading with the others to stop.

      "He could speak a few words, 'No mister, no mister.' What I did was less than others, but yes, I joined in." The soldier said he feared the man would die. "He was dying, basically, so he could not take any more, so basically they threw him out."

      "One of the officers came down to get him and it was like, a bit of a mini-bollocking, but nothing really. Then it was, 'Get rid of him, I've not seen him. The paperwork gets ripped."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1207569,00.html

      'I asked for help and warned of this but nobody would listen'

      Saturday May 1, 2004

      The Guardian

      After an investigation was launched into the alleged abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison,

      Staff Sergeant Ivan "Chip" Frederick (now aka as Riddenhour to max) decided to keep a journal to ensure his side of the story would be revealed. The journals seen by the Guardian begin on January 19 2004 and detail the conditions of the prisoners, apparent torture, and the death of one inmate after interrogation.

      · Prison conditions

      "Prisoners were forced to live in damp cool cells. MI [military intelligence] has also instructed us to place a prisoner in an isolation cell with little or no clothes, no toilet or running water, no ventilation or window for as much as three days. MI personnel and even CID agents were present at these times. On or about the first week of Jan 2004 ICRC [International Committee of the Red Cross] was to make an appearance at the facility. Prisoners that were not processed were rushed out to processing immediately to be processed. I pulled Lt Col Phillabaum aside while he was in 1A. I questioned him about how MI wants things done and about how prisoners were being treated in 1A/B. His reply was "Don't worry about it." I have asked for support from BN [battalion] and the company as to dealing with certain prisoners' behaviour and have received nothing."

      "I had a few small rooms within the tiers ... I was often told to place them in these rooms that were as small as 3ft by 3ft. When I brought this up with the acting BN commander he stated "I don't care if he has to sleep standing up."

      "Prisoners were forced to sleep in areas not suitable, such as tents that had water in them from rain, only 2 or 3 blankets to shield them from the weather. A prisoner with a clearly visible mental condition was shot with non-lethal rounds for standing near the fence singing when a lesser means of force could have been used."

      "The hardsite never knew who to accept or not to accept. MI prisoners were left in cells for as many as 60 days before their handler would ever know that they were there."

      ·

      Use of dogs

      "MI has encouraged and told us great job that they were now getting positive results and information. CID has been present when the military working dogs were used to intimidate prisoners at MI's request. [A] CID agent told the soldier working 1A to stress one prisoner out as much as possible that he wanted to talk to him the next day. On the 18th Jan 2004 an unruly prisoner with a broken arm. The prisoner was placed in a head lock and choked out in the presence of CID agent team."

      ·

      Death in custody

      "Back around Nov an OGA prisoner was brought to 1A. They stressed him out so bad that the man passed away. They put his body in a body bag and packed him in ice for approximately 24 hours in the shower in the 1B. The next day the medics came in and put his body on a stretcher, placed a fake IV in his arm and took him away. This OGA was never processed and therefore never had a number."

      ·

      Health facilities

      "There was a large breakout of body lice among many prisoners. Only solution given was razors.

      "Prisoners that were infected with TB were housed in the same tier as other prisoners and ... the soldiers to be possibly infected by this airborne virus.

      ·

      Freedom of religious expression

      "Prisoners have a mosque at the facility but are not allowed the privilege to go to it."

      Two emails, one written before the abuse was discovered and one after are also telling.

      ·

      December 18, 2003

      Email to Mimi Frederick

      "It is very interresting (sic) to watch them interrogate these people. They don't usually allow others to watch them interrogate but since they like the way I run the prison they make an exception ...

      We have had a very high rate with our style of getting them to break. They usually end up breaking within hours ..."

      ·

      January 22, 2004

      "Dear Mimi,

      I am feeling so bad at how the army has come down on me. They always said that shit rolls downhill and guess who is at the bottom? I have asked for help and warned of this and nobody would listen. I told the battalion commander that I didn't like the way it was going and his reply was 'Don't worry about it. I give you permission to do it'.

      "I just wish I could talk to someone about what is going on but I was ordered not to talk to anyone besides my attorney and CID. As far as trusting someone, DON'T."

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1207452,00.html