Iemma jeered at ALP conference

  • Nick Fredman
    Message 1 of 22 , May 3, 2008
      But was there a vote? Any reports from participants?

      http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/03/2234459.htm

      Iemma jeered at ALP conference

      Premier Morris Iemma arrived to a standing ovation, but the goodwill rapidly
      deteriorated

      New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma has faced open revolt to his plans to
      privatise the electricity sector at the State Labor conference.

      Ahead of the Premier's arrival, the Party's state president Bernie Riordan
      warned conference delegates to watch their manners.

      "This is not a zoo," he said.

      "If you want to boo and hiss go outside."

      The Premier arrived to a standing ovation, but the goodwill rapidly
      deteriorated as he outlined his case for reform of the energy sector.

      "The Government on its own can fund electricity, or fund services - with
      private sector help we can do both. That's the deal I put before you today,"
      he said.

      But the applause did not drown out loud calls for no deal.

      Mr Iemma told the conference he knows he faces an uphill battle, but he
      urged delegates to rise above nostalgia and fear and do what is right.

      "Let history record on this day, May 3, 2008, the New South Wales branch of
      this great party found its courage, rose above nostalgia and fear and did
      what was right," he said.
    • Peter Boyle
      Message 2 of 22 , May 3, 2008
        --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Nick Fredman
        <n.fredman.11@...> wrote:

        > But was there a vote? Any reports from participants?

        I just heard that the vote was taken and the Iemma Labor government's
        plan to privatise NSW electricity industry was voted down 702 to 105
        by delegates at the NSW ALP conference.

        Here are some pictures of the May Day rally held this morning outside
        the ALP conference held Sydney's Darling Harbour Convention Centre
        instead of the customary Sydney Town Hall:

        http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.g.boyle/MayDaySydney2008/photo#s5196075107843134898
      • bobgould987
        Message 3 of 22 , May 3, 2008
          Bob Gould's report on the Labor conference.

          http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/highgroundwon/
        • Ratbag Radio
          Message 4 of 22 , May 3, 2008
          • Ed Lewis
            Message 5 of 22 , May 3, 2008
              Now would be a good time for NSW residents to send an email to your
              local Labor MP urging them to accept the conference decision. The vote
              is on Tuesday.

              This morning I wrote something along the lines of the following to my
              local member:

              As a trade unionist I urge you to accept the NSW Labor Party
              conference decision on electricity privatisation.

              I am not a member of the Labor Party, but of the Greens, but in recent
              elections I have directed my ultimate preference to the Labor Party
              and urged others to do likewise.

              The Labor Party's mass conferences are one of the important
              institutions of Australian democracy and as my representative in the
              NSW parliament I urge you to respect the decisions of this body by
              voting for the conference decision on privatisation at the next
              meeting of the Labor caucus.

              Email addresses for lower house MPs: http://tinyurl.com/4knpv9

              Email addresses for upper house: http://tinyurl.com/483wu3
            • rogerraven
              Message 6 of 22 , May 4, 2008
                Will the OzLeft site be willing to permanently display a list
                of Labor MPs who vote for the power flog-off?

                What about urging ALP supporters to punish Labor MPs for any
                breach of the Conference decision (e.g. refusing to volunteer,
                campaign, donate, or invite such an MP to Branch functions?

                It is fascinating to see how Right-wing the ALP has become.
                Until the mid-80s, Labor and many Coalition people believed in
                strategic government ownership, with the use of government
                business enterprises as development stimulators.

                Now, according to Carr, such people are believers in a "Soviet-
                style model of a government electricity monopoly", which
                presumably is intended to smear the opponents of the Labor-
                supported capitalist elite as "Stalinists".
              • bobgould987
                Message 7 of 22 , May 4, 2008
                  Roger Raven, in his usual reactionary and ignorant way, is talking
                  bullshit. This man know knows almost nothing about the workers'
                  movement. A split is looming that would make any list of recalcitrants
                  redundant because if it happens everyone will know who we're fighting
                  against. Raven also slanders the Labor ranks who are moving to the
                  left in reaction to the crisis, and he hasn't even noticed.
                  Politically speaking what a fool!
                • Ratbag Radio
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 4, 2008
                    Maybe not in those exact words of course -- but the message is loud
                    and clear.

                    Is this upping the anti or what?

                    "Mr Iemma says even though his party's state conference has voted
                    against privatisation, the Government will proceed with it plans."

                    Obviously in terms of capitalism in Australia a lot is riding on this
                    commitment from NSW Labor to sell off the industry.

                    The battle lines are clearly and sharply drawn. I cannot recall such a
                    very clear and polarized difference in the ALP given the party's
                    standard penchant for pragmatism and manoevreing.

                    And within the NSW branch too..Who woulda thought?

                    It seems from where I'm sitting that either the ALP ranks fight to win
                    and actually do win OR if they DON'T fight or if they LOSE then the
                    NSW ALP as a home for anything remotely progressive goes profoundly
                    and publicly down the toilet.

                    There doesn't seem much middle ground or many options as the
                    corporatist (and I'd add "class")divide is crudely drawn.

                    Obviously people like Bob Gould have a fight on their hands as it's
                    clear that he is committed to the opposition movement --and I'd assume
                    this is one big fight he'll be fighting. So we wish him well INSIDE
                    the ALP.

                    Of course I'm tempted to ask: "what if you loose?" -- but I won't do
                    that because that would be rude of me.

                    The key question is : how can we win?

                    Well there you go...the ball's in the court of the NSW unions , party
                    ranks, and communities....

                    But it does seem to me that there's a lot of motion afoot on the
                    Laborism front. Rudd Labor is really a very broad church that
                    accommodates a congregation of aficionadoes in each state and what
                    we're up against is a very spacious front dedicated to an aggressive
                    new wave of restructuring, absolutely committed to the coal and mining
                    industries and keen to junk any semblance of passe welfare state ism.
                    That for the sake of Work Choices Lite we're in for a major
                    restructuring agenda in step with Hawke's and Keatings. The wave is
                    rising here in Qld as the whole business of "state infrastructure' is
                    given the once over.

                    And each time the argument will be exactly as Iemma has advanced -- we
                    cannot afford it (eg:an electricity industry). So there'll be a wave
                    of state and private enterprise partership projects like our coal
                    loader and our new city tunnels.

                    And it will happen without our immediate ability -- Greens included --
                    of us to mount an electoral challenge to Labor's agenda or that of the
                    Coalition governments that will surely follow. So this restructuring
                    may in fact proceed state by state very quickly indeed as perhaps
                    these governments deploy Howard style wedge politics like in Tasmanian
                    forestry.

                    I can imagine the sort of pressures that will come down on unions like
                    the CFMEU.

                    What I'm seeing is that in this desire to tell us to get stuffed they
                    are confident that they have nothing much to fear. Street protests?
                    Why they can march to their legs drop off -- we're still going to
                    proceed. We went ahead in Iraq didn't we and are still there. Strikes?
                    You're joking -- we squashed that malarkey under Hawke and bought in
                    the big stick under Howard. Punish us electorally? The Greens can only
                    muster a 8% average and are contained in the inner city ghettoes.

                    So you gotta sometimes see the other side's POV...

                    dave riley
                  • bobgould987
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 4, 2008
                      Bob Gould's report on the second day of the Labor conference

                      http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/wellseewholaughslast/
                    • rogerraven
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 4, 2008
                        Gould, in his usual reactionary and ignorant way, has
                        repeatedly been embarrassed by his pretence that Labor
                        powerbrokers' systematic and deliberate betrayal of their
                        party's professed values could be resolved with backroom chats
                        and discreet petitions. Politically speaking what a fool
                        Gould is!

                        Ed by Gould's standards is presumably another political fool,
                        for suggesting that emails of support for the Conference
                        position would be useful.

                        Dave Riley is quite right in his summary that "Iemma tells ALP
                        members to get stuffed".

                        My position, having been correct all along, remains
                        unchanged. Comrade Gould appears a stranger to the notion
                        that if one has the correct position, one does not need to
                        change it. But perhaps it isn't something Comrade Gould has
                        ever tried. On past performance, Gould's suggestions are
                        guaranteed only to fail.

                        After all, the existing union bosses, powerbrokers, and ALP
                        workers now face the ultimate logic of their own contempt for
                        performance, conduct and procedure. It was they who put Costa
                        et al where they are, and then supported them knowing perfectly
                        well what they were like. To imagine that such power-obsessed
                        characters would change if one was nice to them was the purest
                        self-delusion, which deserves no praise. But then, to talk
                        of the NSW ALP as though it were some sort of workers' movement
                        is the purest self-delusion.

                        Within the ALP, the only effective outcome ([a]) is a clear
                        determination by the NSW ALP executive to instantly expel any
                        MP (Iemma and Costa included) who backs the flog-off, expel any
                        ALP members who support them, and with an additional resolution
                        that they are expelled for life. Anything less amounts to
                        outcome [d] below.

                        Let us assume that Iemma et al resign or are expelled (outcome
                        [b]). It is possible that given their big business support,
                        they could gather enough numbers from the ALP, Coalition and
                        Independents to pass the flog-off legislation then form a
                        caretaker government until an election. Iemma et al could
                        move over to the DLP or suchlike as a bloc, taking many union
                        affiliates with them.

                        I'd presume that the top ALP decisionmaking bodies are
                        controlled by Iemma's mates.

                        Let us assume that the anti-flog-off ALP membership resigns
                        (outcome [c]). The powerbrokers will close some branches and
                        stack others to make up some of the numbers. So the party
                        will remain under the control of Iemma et al, though it may
                        merge with the DLP as part of the process of becoming a truly
                        reactionary religious Right organisation.

                        Let us assume that the anti-flog-off ALP membership decides to
                        stay and work from within rather than resign (outcome [d]).
                        Their craven policy of capitulation and self-delusion has come
                        to its end. Their views count for nothing. They will be
                        permitted only to work for the re-election of Iemma et al, and
                        will be instantly and ruthlessly expelled if they visibly
                        dissent.

                        For the Left, effective action may involve a different and more
                        subtle approach.

                        Humiliation, for instance.

                        Whether one is an ALP member or supporter or not, or even if
                        one has no opinion on the power flog-off , the point can be
                        made that Iemma et al are treating a long-established well-
                        defined democratic process with contempt. That is an attack
                        on democracy itself. It is an attack on democracy in any
                        organisation, and by the most powerful NSW politicians.

                        It is open to ordinary people and the Left to write to every
                        organisation in the State urging that they not invite any
                        offending politician/Iemma et al supporter to their functions,
                        should refuse to attend said functions, and should oppose every
                        efforts to publicise or fund-raise for them. Be assured that
                        the targets will notice.

                        Similarly, one can consistently and quickly reply in the media
                        to appearances or items from those blacklisted, criticising
                        their behaviour.

                        Obviously to do so, one needs a blacklist to work from (which
                        should include Iemma et al's ALP backers). Obviously Gould is
                        opposed to such a list, presumably because it risks being
                        effective. It may also include some of his ALP mates.

                        The difficulty is that many people – not just ALP members – are
                        strangers to principle. But the point can be made that this
                        conference is a classic example of the ultimate consequences of
                        doing so.

                        Such a process will be slow. Selling-out is so much easier,
                        which is why so many people prefer it. But as we presumably
                        now all agree, there is nothing more to sell-out. The
                        cupboard is utterly bare. Iemma and his predecessors have
                        long stripped it.
                      • luke weyland
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                          Lets stop the name calling fellas

                          I recon that there are two things honourable that Iemma and Costa should
                          consider - neither of which
                          I expect that they will do

                          1. Tell the public, although they support selling the family silver to
                          foreign multinationals is in the
                          best interest of all NSW residents, they will abide by the party decision

                          2. Prepare for two bi-elections - those of Costa and Ieema.

                          .... Well perhaps they could do a third

                          3. Declare NSW an absolute monarchy under the reign of Morris I

                          Luke

                        • rogerraven
                          Message 12 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                            > Lets stop the name calling fellas

                            Address that comment to the one who started it, Luke.
                          • bobgould987
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                              Michael, get the blunderbuss that's hidden in the thatch

                              http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/michaelgettheblunderbuss/
                            • Ed Lewis
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                                Roger Ravin':

                                >My position, having been correct all along, remains unchanged.>

                                I usually don't read Roger Ravin's self-important waffle, but now that
                                I realise I'm in the presence of political genius I'll be more respectful.

                                >as we presumably now all agree, there is nothing more to sell-out.
                                The cupboard is utterly bare. Iemma and his predecessors have long
                                stripped it.>

                                Not quite. Adele Ferguson in Monday's Australian lists a few other
                                plums that the merchant bankers and corporate raiders have their eyes on.

                                "If energy reform proceeds, Iemma is expected to next raise money for
                                infrastructure reform by targeting ferries, followed by the sale of
                                State Transit Authority, NSW Lotto (which runs Lotto, Powerball and
                                Instant Scratchies), and Forests NSW (which is responsible for
                                managing 2.4 million hectares of native and planted forests in the
                                state)."

                                With the greatest respect, your lordship, a man who never gets things
                                wrong ought to do a bit more research.

                                http://tinyurl.com/4ffvey
                              • bobgould987
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                                  Bob Gould on propagandism and the electricity privatisation struggle.

                                  http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/propagandismandprivatisation/
                                • Ratbag Radio
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                                    --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobgould987"
                                    <bobgould987@...> wrote:

                                    > Bob Gould on propagandism and the electricity privatisation struggle.
                                    >
                                    > http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/propagandismandprivatisation/

                                    Bob's analysis of SAlt is correct. Will they rise to defend themselves
                                    (not their habit of course a sthey prefer to ignore debates like this)

                                    ...Watch this space:
                                    http://www.leftwrites.net/2008/05/06/propagandaandprivatisation/
                                    on the SAlty blog, Leftwrites....

                                    "The problem with all this in current Australian conditions is that
                                    you create a group, you give it a sort of in-group very tight esprit
                                    de corps, you fence the members off from real interaction with the
                                    political world of the working class, you give them an entirely
                                    literary education in selected Marxist texts, and worst of all you
                                    discourage them from listening to anyone else by christening them the
                                    knowledgeable revolutionary vanguard to which the masses will
                                    inevitably turn if you preach at them enough....When you construct a
                                    closed system and call it Leninism, you're insulting Lenin's memory in
                                    the worst possible way.

                                    "What's worse, you create an outfit in which you christen
                                    semi-educated youth and students as some sort of automatic
                                    revolutionary vanguard to which the masses will turn. You never turn
                                    them towards the mass movement to listen and learn and to try to offer
                                    some leadership in concrete struggles outside the student movement.

                                    "You create a bunch of know-alls with a sort of cult reverence for a
                                    few leaders ..."
                                  • Ed Lewis
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 6, 2008
                                    • Ed Lewis
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 7, 2008
                                        Another banker joins the Costa-Iemma cheer squad

                                        http://tinyurl.com/5do6ss
                                      • glparramatta
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                                          Any bets on which bank Iemma will a get a job with after he has done
                                          his dirty work? They must be lining up.
                                          Norm.

                                          --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Lewis" <ozleft@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Another banker joins the Costa-Iemma cheer squad
                                          >
                                          > http://tinyurl.com/5do6ss

                                        • bobgould987
                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 8, 2008
                                            Outsiders in their own party: the Labor Party ranks according to
                                            Michale Egan

                                            http://ozleft.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/outsiders-in-their-own-party/
                                          • Ed Lewis
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 12, 2008
                                            • Ed Lewis
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 14, 2008
                                                Latest in electricity privatisation struggle. Upper house Labor MPs
                                                say they'll cross the floor to support Greens bill, upper house
                                                deadlocked, Labor stalls.

                                                http://tinyurl.com/3vgzv5