Chavez: Western Media Try To Demonize Iran

  • Walter Lippmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11 10:49 AM
      (While looked at over a span of the past, let's say 48 years, Cuba
      is the most vilified country in the Western media, Iran is catching
      up quickly as President Hugo Chavez points out in this interview on
      the new Iranian international satellite television broadcast channel.

      (Chavez: "The private sector is the West's capitalism. Through the
      channel, they broadcast the poison that comes from the viewers' eyes
      to the soul of all human beings and leaves very bad effects on the
      individuals and the whole population. The alienation, the loss of
      human values, the individualism, selfishness; everything is against
      the human nature. The capitalists developed the TV channel in order
      to distort the nature of the masses. In the West, you see how they
      portray the Middle East, Arab and Muslim countries as vicious people."
      -----------------------
      (Chavez: "I have always said that we are in a transition period.
      Two days ago, I was discussing the fact with a group of congressmen.
      A new international order is being shaped and the Islamic Revolution
      and the Venezuelan Revolution are playing key roles in this process.")

      Ongoing News and Analysis from Venezuela
      www.venezuelanalysis.com/articles.php?artno=2092

      Chavez: Western Media Try To Demonize Iran and Other Muslim Countries

      Wednesday, Jul 11, 2007

      By: Amir Mahdi Kazemi - Press TV, Tehran

      In an interview with Iran's newly launched Press TV,
      Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has commented
      on a number of issues particularly the South American nation's foreign policy.

      The following is the text of the interview with the President:

      Reporter: In his comments on website Globovision, the former
      Venezuelan ambassador to South Korea, Julio Cesar Pineda criticized
      you for developing relations with Russia, Belarus and Iran. He has
      urged you to develop relations with the US and EU. What's your
      opinion about that?

      Chavez: What you are referring to is our dealing with imperialism.
      Close relations with the West was part of Venezuela's foreign policy
      before the Revolution. In the past, Venezuela didn't have control
      over its own foreign policy, its policies were dictated by
      Washington. We were a US colony. Today we are independent and have
      developed a completely independent policy, total sovereignty. We
      regard our relations with Russia, Belarus and Iran as fundamental and
      important.

      Reporter: What kind of impact do you think Venezuela's relations with
      Iran could have on other independent countries?

      Chavez: It is an example for other countries. In this year we have
      signed 164 cooperation agreements in energy, industry, politics,
      culture, science, education, health, etc. All these agreements are
      aimed at solidarity, spirituality and cooperation. In that sense, the
      results that we get from these relations will have a powerful impact
      on other countries, for example in Latin America, Middle East, Asia
      and Africa. Iranian technology and industries are now being used in
      Venezuela, Venezuelan technicians are trained in Iran and Iranian
      experts are training them in Venezuela. We were poor people, mostly
      illiterate. Now we are progressing. The ties with Iran are by far
      different from relations we had with the capitalists. Our
      revolutionary economy is at the service of human beings. Right now,
      Iran and Bolivia are talking over having the same relations with
      Bolivia. The same happened in the case of Nicaragua. The relations
      have had powerful moral, political and economic impacts on other
      countries. The relations between Iran and Venezuela have its impact
      on the whole world. That's why imperialists are so concerned about
      that.

      Reporter: Mr. President. I've heard the license of the private TV
      channel RCTV, which belongs to the Venezuelan opposition, has been
      canceled by your government. Don't you consider this as a violation
      of the freedom of speech in your country?

      Chavez: The private sector is the West's capitalism. Through the
      channel, they broadcast the poison that comes from the viewers' eyes
      to the soul of all human beings and leaves very bad effects on the
      individuals and the whole population. The alienation, the loss of
      human values, the individualism, selfishness; everything is against
      the human nature. The capitalists developed the TV channel in order
      to distort the nature of the masses. In the West, you see how they
      portray the Middle East, Arab and Muslim countries as vicious people.
      The people in the West believe everything they are told. They think
      of the US and Europe as the criteria for modernization and civilization,
      the media there portray Iran and the Middle East as the worst terrorists.

      We know that the world's most ancient civilizations were started in
      the region, when no US existed.

      If one seeks deep spirituality, he should come to Persia, but some TV
      channels try to paint a barbarian picture of the people of the
      region.

      The barbarian region is Bush's land. The barbarian imperialism is in
      the US which never stops intimidating Iran. Today the US is
      destroying Iraq and dividing Palestine as part of its imperialistic
      plots. The Iran-Iraq imposed war was also planned and orchestrated in
      Washington.

      The operations against Palestine are also managed by Washington and
      atrocities against the Palestinian people are rooted in the
      Washington policies.

      The US is also threatening Cuba and Venezuela and so it is apparent
      that the US is really barbarous.

      North American imperialism has developed a media dictatorship but
      thanks to the newly lunched Social TV, Venezuela has survived it.

      Last night, I was watching the football match between the Venezuelan
      and Peruvian teams on Social TV but the weather was bad and the
      signal was not good. At the end, I saw the match on an Iranian TV
      channel that was broadcasting it.

      Reporter: A few days ago, you were speaking about the idea of a
      global revolution. I'd like you to elaborate on the issue.

      Chavez: I have always said that we are in a transition period. Two
      days ago, I was discussing the fact with a group of congressmen. A
      new international order is being shaped and the Islamic Revolution
      and the Venezuelan Revolution are playing key roles in this process.

      Iran enjoys a very strategic geopolitical situation and Venezuela is
      considered as the most important nation in the Latin America. We can
      say that the two revolutions could contribute to a great dynamic
      transition.

      I believe new players will join the movement for a global revolution
      which are expected to rise from among the Arab, Latin American,
      Caribbean, European and even the North American nations.

      I think that the movement would save the world from the threat that
      comes from North American imperialism.

      Reporter: And Mr. President, why did you choose to speak in Russia,
      as you know Russia has its own interactions with the US, especially
      in the view that both countries are G8 members?

      Chavez: I didn't choose Russia. The foreign policy of Venezuela is
      growing in all directions and we respect international policies of
      all countries.

      Yesterday Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia has relations
      with the US, but the US has to respect Russia's friendly relations
      with Venezuela.

      Russia is considered as a world power. Not only President Putin, but
      also other Russian officials such as the Mayor of Moscow Yuri Luzhkov
      talk strongly against the US imperialism. We also had a meeting with
      Mr. Primakov, now chairman of the Chamber of Commerce and Industries.
      I also heard his speech against imperialism. This is very positive.

      Reporter: Why the US and Europe are trying to stop Iran from
      developing its peaceful nuclear program and is Venezuela interested
      in nuclear cooperation with Iran?

      Chavez: That is a pretext which the North American imperialism is
      using in order to put Iran under pressure. We have the right to
      develop nuclear energy since oil recourses will be consumed soon.
      Venezuela could work in the future. At this moment, it seems to be
      early for us. I am honored that this interview is conducted
      simultaneous with the inauguration of Press TV.

      Reporter: Thank you very much your Excellency.

      Original source / relevant link:

      Press TV

      WALTER LIPPMANN
      Editor-in-Chief, CubaNews