If Brazilian right is stronger, we’ll quit Mercosur, said Chavez

  • Fred Fuentes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Saturday, June 30, 2007
      Direct Link: http://www.mercopress.com/vernoticia.do?id=10836&formato=html

      If Brazilian right is stronger, we'll quit Mercosur, said Chavez

      Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez said he's willing to withdraw his
      country's request to become full member of Mercosur because in his own
      words it's a mechanism "marked by capitalism and ferocious
      competence", according to an official news release.
      Chavez arrived Saturday to Teheran for a "work visit" and was quoted
      stating that "we're not desperate to become members of an old Mercosur
      with no desire to change. If we can't make it to Mercosur because the
      Brazilian conservative right is stronger, then we simply quit".

      "If they don't want us inside Mercosur, we have no problem. I'm
      capable even of withdrawing the request", insisted Chavez talking
      about the Brazilian Congress, which is expecting an apology gesture
      from Chavez (following some offensive comments he made), before
      ratifying Venezuela's membership.

      Earlier in the week Brazil's Foreign Secretary Celso Amorim said that
      Brazil was conditioning Venezuela's incorporation to Mercosur to
      Chavez' retraction regarding offensive statements about the Brazilian
      Congress.

      "Nobody is asking for a self flagellation from Venezuela, but a
      positive gesture is needed regarding the Brazilian Congress", Amorim
      was quoted in an interview with O'Globo.

      Chavez called Brazilian Congress members "parrots" at the service of
      the US, and oligarchs, following a Senate committee condemnation of
      his decision not to renew the license to Venezuela's longest
      established television station, RCTV. Chavez accused RCTV of
      conspiring with the opposition to bring down his regime.

      Brazil officially rejected President Chavez comments and members of
      Congress said they would not approve Venezuela's Mercosur Protocol of
      Adhesion unless he apologizes.

      Chavez was absent from the latest Mercosur presidential summit which
      took place this week in Paraguay. He was away in Russia and
      Byelorussia shopping for arms, and Iran.

      Venezuela requested full membership of Mercosur when early last year
      he walked out of the Andean Community complaining because its members
      were intent in signing free trade agreements with United States.