Salt of the earth

  • glparramatta
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Perhaps list members might like to emulate Tom Lewis ...

      Salt of the earth

      Peter Boyle

      Tom Lewis, 83, is a long-time Green Left Weekly subscriber in a small
      town between Bundaberg and Gin Gin, Queensland. His eyesight is rapidly
      failing and he can no longer read. But last week he renewed his
      subscription to the paper and made a $100 donation to our fighting fund.

      “This is a helluva conservative place but I sneak the Green Left into
      the local library and leave it with the other papers so that others can
      read it”, he told me over the phone. “Maybe somebody might wake up. You
      never know.”

      Tom has been a rebel all his life and he’s not about to give up the
      struggle for a better world. He was expelled from the Labor Party in
      Sydney in the 1950s for “speaking out against an endorsed Labor
      candidate”, a supporter of the notorious right-wing Groupers led by Bob
      Santamaria.

      He then joined the Communist Party of Australia and was an active
      unionist and a regular speaker at the famous Sydney Domain speakers’
      corner. He’s been a militant union delegate in the mines at Mount Isa,
      and in the sugar and construction industries in Queensland. His efforts
      for his fellow workers have been rewarded by the bosses banning him from
      work in those industries.

      When I asked Tom to share his story with readers, he protested that he
      was “no one special”. Tom’s mistaken there. He’s the special kind of
      person who keeps GLW going — the salt of the earth. He is an inspiration
      to the rest of us.

      Please help Tom keep GLW afloat. This week we raised $3257, bringing our
      total for the year to $74,026. That’s 30% of our $250,000 target. You
      can help us make that target by depositing a donation to the GLW
      Fighting Fund at: Greenleft, Commonwealth Bank, BSB 062-006, Account No.
      901992. Alternatively, send a cheque or money order to PO Box 515,
      Broadway NSW 2007, phone it through on the toll-free line at 1800 634
      206 (within Australia), or donate online at
      http://www.greenleft.org.au/fogl.htm.

      If you have another story about the very special people who support GLW
      please contact me on peterb@...
      <mailto:peterb@...>, or ring the toll-free number above.

      http://www.greenleft.org.au/2007/711/36918