Piers Ackerman's antisemitic hero

  • bobgould987
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2007
      Piers Ackerman this morning
      http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21742277-5001031,00.html
      makes a bit of a hero of the late, unlamented reactionary Tory
      politician Jo Gullett. He quotes as good coin Gullett's lying slanders
      of Australian waterfront workers in his memoir. Gullett provides no
      real evidence for his slanders, just makes assertions.

      Is this the same Jo Gullett who in his later role as a conservative
      member of parliament, launched a vicious antisemitic attack in the
      Australian parliament, under privilege, on a boatload of Holocaust
      survivors, and on Arthur Calwell, the Labor minister for immigration,
      for helping to settle these Holocaust survivors in Australia.

      Following is from the Hansard record of the antisemite Gullett's
      speech to parliament.

      "It is time to consider these refugees arriving from Poland and
      elsewhere purely on their merits as migrants and in an unsentimental
      light. In the last 50 years these people have swarmed all over Europe,
      coming principally from Armenia, Russia and the Balkans. We should
      remember that they are European neither by race, standards, nor
      culture. They are, in fact, an Eastern people. In 2000 years no one
      but Britain has been successfully able to absorb them, and for the
      most part they owe loyalty and allegiance to none. They secured a
      stranglehold on Germany after the last war during the inflation
      period, and in a very large part, brought upon themselves the
      persecution which they subsequently suffered.

      "In the United States they are enormously rife, especially in New York
      where there are 3.5 millions of them; where they own practically
      everything, and where they are the leaders of the most violent
      anti-British campaigns. In addition, they are practically in a state
      of war with Great Britain in Palestine, and almost daily they carry
      out their murderous attacks and assaults against British subjects.

      "One could respect them more if they who are so ready to flog
      professional soldiers of their old friend and ally had shown an equal
      determination and courage to the threat of extermination by Hitler and
      the Nazis. These are the people who, at the direction of international
      Jewish organisations, are being foisted upon us who are to become the
      dumping ground for the world's unabsorbable at the dictates of the
      Minister for Immigration.

      "I believe that this is contrary to the desire of the overwhelming
      part of the people of this country, and if this policy is continued,
      we shall bitterly rue the day."

      Does Ackerman believe that his hero, Gullett, is as much as an expert
      on the Jewish question as he apparently is on wharfies?
    • luke weyland
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2007
        Bob
        I recon 'Reactionary' is far too polite word for what I call those like
        Ackerman and Gullet who spread such racist bullshit
        They are nothing but the backers of genocide.