Iraq CP: 'Bigger Role for UN'

  • glparramatta
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2004
      Iraq CP: 'Bigger Role for UN'

      Towards a Bigger Role for the UN

      In the Political Process in our Country

      Editorial of 'Tareeq AL-Shaab' - the central organ of
      the Iraqi Communist Party (No. 24 18-1-2004)

      The meeting to be held on Monday 19/1/2004, between
      representatives of the Governing Council, the occupation
      authority and the UN, acquires special significance. It
      responds to the demands of the majority of Iraqi
      political forces and the international community, for a
      more active role by the UN in supervising the ongoing
      political process in Iraq, and providing the necessary
      conditions to enable our people to exercise their right
      to determine their own destiny and establish the
      democratic regime that would express their free will.

      It is well known that the occupation forces did not
      want, from the start, to give the UN a central and
      'vital' role to the international organisation for
      various reasons. Among the most important reasons was
      the desire to control the progress of the political
      process and its outcome in accordance with their
      interests and the objectives they had drawn up for their
      presence in Iraq. This position was taken in spite of UN
      Security Council Resolution 1483 (May 2003) which made
      clear references to the supposed role of the UN.

      There is no doubt that giving a bigger role to the UN
      will be in the interest of our people in the present
      delicate and difficult phase. This role would allow the
      UN to act as a neutral broker, which has been missed by
      the political process since the death of Mr Sergio de
      Mello, the late special representative of the UN
      Secretary General, who was killed in an atrocious
      terrorist act that was carried out by forces hostile to
      our people and their legitimate desire to end the
      occupation as soon as possible and build a new regime
      based on democratic principles.

      The UN Security Council Resolution 1511 (November 2003)
      has given the UN a more active role in the political
      process. This is what needs to be consolidated,
      especially in connection with the implementation of the
      15th November 2003 Agreement (between the Governing
      Council and the CPA) regarding the transfer of power to
      Iraqis. This should be part of the overall efforts to
      mobilize the forces of world community, and the world
      public opinion, to help achieve our people's just
      objectives in ending the occupation and restoring full
      national sovereignty and independence.

      With the implementation of the 15th November Agreement,
      in preparation for the emergence of the transitional
      national government that enjoys full authorities on 1st
      July 2004, and with the occupation authority coming to
      an end, a highly important phase will begin, culminating
      with free and genuine elections, in which the Iraqi
      people shall express their will by establishing the
      pluralistic, federal and democratic regime for a unified
      Iraq.

      To achieve this aim, elections must be conducted under
      neutral international supervision. This is the role
      which is assigned mainly to the UN, taking into account
      its representation of international legitimacy, as well
      as the accumulated experience and expertise that it has
      acquired, making it qualified to undertake an active and
      constructive role in providing the prerequisites for the
      emergence of an independent national government and
      ending the occupation of our country.

      Raising the level of UN participation, and activating
      its role, will also help to encourage the participation
      of numerous international forces in the process of
      reconstruction, and the return of conditions in our
      country to normality.

      It is noteworthy that calls by Iraqi political forces
      for an active role by the UN in supervising the
      implementation of the 15th November Agreement and power
      transfer to the Iraqis, have recently increased. Here,
      it must be pointed out that this stance should be
      coupled with emphasizing commitment by these forces to
      guaranteeing the social, economic and cultural rights of
      citizens, as well as political and civil rights, as
      formulated in the UN Charter and Human Rights
      Declaration.

      Such a commitment and embodying it now, in formulating
      the Law of Iraqi State Administration in the
      Transitional Period [the Basic Law], and also in the
      basic principles which we desire for the permanent
      constitution, will help to lay a firm basis for a state
      based on law that would ensure the rights of all the
      Iraqi people, and guarantees human rights, in accordance
      with the UN Charter.

      http://www.iraqcp.org/framse1/0040122altariq.htm