Bolivian minister for hydrocarbons resignation letter

  • Fred Fuentes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2006
      Andres Soliz Rada resignation as minister for hydrocarbons and energy
      http://boliviarising.blogspot.com/2006/09/andres-soliz-rada-resignation-as.html

      La Paz, September 15, 2006
      Mr Evo Morales Ayma
      President of the Republic

      Ref.: irrevocable resignation

      Your Excellency Mr. President,

      Last May 17, I notified to you the urgency with which I had to remove
      myself from the cabinet for personal reasons. In that opportunity, at
      your request and that of Mr Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera, I
      accepted remaining in the position of Minster for Hydrocarbons and
      Energy for an additional time. I consider that this time has been
      completed, the reason for which I am presenting to you my irrevocable
      resignation.

      I take use of this opportunity to put on record the patriotism with
      which you have lead this country, the reason why I feel thankful for
      allowing me the opportunity to accompany you in the historic
      nationalisation of gas and petrolem, last May 1

      This is a moment to recall that the nationalization pushed forward, in
      a decisive way, the process of recuperation of the dignity and self
      esteem of our people that the neoliberal and racist policies had
      attempted to squash in a definitive manner. Thanks to the
      nationalization, the country has recuperated around $200,000 million
      in gas and petroleum reserves, whose value the petroleum companies
      tried to note down in the stock exchange as if it was theirs.

      Even though we were not able to including in the May decree the
      expropriation of the necessary shares from Chaco, Andina and
      Transredes, so that YPFB could immediately control 50% + 1 of the
      shares of these companies, we achieved, at least, that the state
      company be represented, although as a minority, for now, in their
      board of directors, after transferring the shares, which were under
      the control of the AFPs, to YPFB.

      The Ministerial Resolution 202/2006 from last August 25, obliged
      Petrobras, Andina and Repsol to pay $32 million monthly, complying
      with article four of the nationalization decree, which talks of the
      additional 32% taxes for participation in the mega fields of Sabalo
      and San Alberto. Due to this, YPFB has collected $64 million and we
      can count on a further $96 million in the next months.

      As the Nationalisation Decree allows for, the Ministry organized, with
      total transparency, the auditing of petroleum companies that operate
      in this country, the results of which will allow YPFB to sign new
      contracts in advantageous conditions.

      In the agreement to sell gas to Argentina, we achieved a commitment
      from the neigbhour country to construct, with a preferential credit
      loan, a separation and liquification plant, whose property will be in
      the hands of Bolivia, in Yacuiba, that will have to process the
      totality of gas sold to the neighbour country, and which will become
      functional at the moment of expansion of the pertinent volumes of
      exportation. Now Bolivia must authorize Argentina's future
      exportations of gas to third countries

      The Ministry has finished the first draft of the law of integral
      reorganization of YPFB, which in the next few days will be sent to the
      Congress of the republic. The National Energetic Balance, which has
      stopped being elaborated since 1996, is also almost at the point of
      completion. We have also obtained the designation of the directory of
      the state oil entity, that should lead the company.

      Nothing of what I have mentioned would have been possible to achieve
      without the heroic struggle of our people and the social movements
      which on October 17, 2003, changed our history, by expelling the
      principal neoliberal politicians that caused so much damage to
      Bolivia, and which were squashed by your electoral victory last
      December 18.

      At this opportunity, I would like to pass on my extensive gratefulness
      to Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera, the men and women that make up
      your cabinet, as well as the leaders and parliamentarians that back
      the revolutionary process, of whose devotion and sacrifice I have been
      witness to.

      Finally, I would like to manifest my gratitude to the loyal people
      that worked with me in the Ministry of Hydrocarbons and Energy, who's
      dedication and friendship I counted on at all times.

      Please receive, companero and brother President, my fraternal hug

      Andrés Soliz Rada
      Translated from Bolivian Ministry of Hydrocarbons and Energy website