Baghdad

  • Ram
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Riot after Iraqi job seekers are turned away
      From Harris Whitbeck
      CNN

      BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Violence broke out in parts of
      the Iraqi capital Wednesday morning, after a group of
      men attempting to apply for jobs at a Baghdad police
      station were turned away.

      Gunshots rang out, apparently fired from inside the
      police station as a warning for the crowd to disperse.
      At least two police vehicles were set on fire, and
      protesters threw stones at the building, witnesses
      told CNN's Harris Whitbeck.

      So far, there have been no reports of casualties.

      Several of the estimated 300 job seekers said they
      arrived at the police precinct to fill out job
      applications, but were asked for bribes and turned
      away.

      "We want to get in there but the only way you get into
      this force is if you pay extra bribe, extra money,"
      said a former officer in the Iraqi army, who said he
      has been without a job since March. "Normal people who
      do not have money could not get admitted into this
      fighting force ... the security force."

      "I've been coming here for four months," he said.
      "We've had so many promises and nothing [violent]
      happened until now."

      http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search