Julia Gillard positions herself on the right

  • bobgould987
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
      Julia Gillard positions herself as ideological leader
      of a new right wing in the Labor Party

      Her organisational proposals should be vigorously resisted throughout
      the labour movement

      By Bob Gould

      Last night (March 7) a friend and I attended Gerard Henderson's
      conservative Sydney Institute to hear Julia Gillard speak. I must
      admit that for a while I have been in two minds about Julia Gillard as
      a potential Labor leader. I've only encountered her in person on one
      other occasion, when she came to address ALP members in South Sydney,
      defending her reactionary policy on the refugee question.

      At that meeting, the whole 30 or so speakers from the floor attacked
      her refugee policy, and I led the attack, ending my short speech by
      adapting the words of the Roman Senator Cato who ended every speech in
      the Roman Senate "and Carthage must be destroyed" with my version,
      that everyone making a speech in the ALP should end with the
      peroration that "mandatory detention must be destroyed". That
      suggestion was taken up by quite a few other speakers.

      Talking about that event with others afterwards, I found that many
      shared my view that despite sharply opposing her policy we were kind
      of impressed by her vigorous and upfront demeanour in the face of a
      very hostile meeting. Since that time, I have sensed that a lot Labor
      leftists, particularly women, shared my grudging respect for her in
      her vigorous public demeanour, and in particular the way she confronts
      head-on the viciousness of the mass media, which always have a subtext
      of slight hostility to her because she is an unmarried, childless
      woman who doesn't conform to the bourgeouis cliches peddled by
      official society about home and family.

      It was in that mood of willing to be persuaded by her that I went
      along to hear her at Henderson's right-wing think-tank. Her speech was
      a salutary lesson to me against any kind of romantic naivete or
      temptation to take my eyes off the core content of her political position.

      Full: http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/ozleft/cantcount.html
    • Sol Salbe
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
        --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "bobgould987"
        <bobgould987@...> wrote:

        > Full: http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/ozleft/cantcount.html

        It's actaully http://www.gouldsbooks.com.au/ozleft/gillard.html

        Looks like the gremlins got into your computer, Bob.

        Sol Salbe
        Melbourne Australia