Re: Superb political statement from Hamas

  • Kisan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
      Here is an in depth post that contrasts this "superb political
      statement from Hamas" with the Hamas charter which is their core
      manifesto.

      Should their manifesto or charter be given more credibility or a
      propaganda peace for left leaning readers?

      Obviously you go for the fluff piece whereas I personally would give
      their charter more credibility as expressing their core principles
      and ideas.

      But let readers see both sides of the issue by reading the article
      below:

      Kisan.

      The Guardian Presents: Terror Apologia of the Month
      Continuing a time-honoured tradition, Guardian comment editor Seamus
      Milne gives prominent propaganda space to a terrorist apologist
      today, happily donating half a page to Hamas official Khalid Mish'al
      (visitors to the Guardian website will find the column listed first
      under "Today's Picks").

      The piece is in some ways similar to one published shortly after the
      success of the Muslim Brotherhood in the Egyptian elections, in that
      it consists in part of reassurances; for example, that "Hamas is
      extending a hand of peace to those who are truly interested in peace
      and justice". Mr Mish'al fails to explain exactly how he reconciles
      the "hand of peace" policy with his recent observation concerning
      the notorious statements of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on
      the destruction of Israel and the denial of the Holocaust - namely,
      that "what Iranian officials are saying must be displeasing to some
      people, but they are courageous statements".

      Mr. Mish'al is keen to make it clear that "we have no problems with
      Jews who have not attacked us", and expresses yet again Hamas' well-
      known policy that Jews are to be "respected and protected". In doing
      so, he reveals yet again the gulf between the face that supporters
      of terrorism present to well-meaning and sympathetic Guardian
      readers, and the beliefs actually held by such groups as Hamas.

      Explicitly adopting the role of the victim, Mr. Mish'al takes the US
      and the EU to task for threatening to withdraw funding to the
      Palestinian Authority as as result of the Hamas electoral victory.
      It must be said that his failure to mention the fact that President
      Bush was widely perceived to have left the diplomatic and financial
      doors open - if Hamas rescinded its call for Israel's destruction -
      puts the headline in a rather different light than was perhaps
      intended:

      We will not sell our people or principles for foreign aid

      In other words, we reject the call to repudiate our guiding
      principle - to destroy Israel - in exchange for continued US-EU
      assistance.

      In making his case, Mr. Mish'al speaks of an opportunity missed:

      "The US and EU could have used the success of Hamas to open a new
      chapter in their relations with the Palestinians, the Arabs and the
      Muslims and to understand better a movement that has so far been
      seen largely through the eyes of the Zionist occupiers of our land."

      Now I don't really know just how much US and EU administrations do
      understand Hamas (although I'm guessing it's a fair amount), but I
      have to admit that I myself probably don't know as much as I should.
      So, somewhat embarrassed by my ignorance, I took it upon myself to
      review the group's Charter - its basic statement of principles. In
      light of the reassurances given in the Guardian piece, I was
      particularly interested in references to Israel, Jews and peace
      negotiations, and how those reference jibed with Mr. Mish'al's
      soothing statements.

      It certainly didn't take long to find the first reference to Israel -
      in a preamble, "The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory
      [founder of the Muslim Brotherhood]" is quoted:

      "Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will
      obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it"

      It's not altogether clear how this fits in with the extension
      of "the hand of peace", but so be it. Anyway, that's a reference to
      Israel, not Jews in general, and we know that Hamas "has no problem
      with Jews", generally speaking.

      This benign tolerance can easily be seen in other sections of the
      Hamas Charter, which describes a centuries-long Jewish conspiracy
      to "rule the world". Did you know, for example, that Jews
      were "behind World War II"? (In retrospect, perhaps that didn't turn
      out too well for them - let's face it though, they brought their
      problems upon themselves). But that's not the only evil for which
      Jews are responsible - far from it. Their perfidy is also behind ...
      the Rotary Club!

      And the French Revolution (bien sur), and lots of other things too.
      In fact, Jews are behind pretty much every bad thing that is or ever
      was, including Communism, the UN - and every war in the world,
      anywhere:

      "With their money, they took control of the world media, news
      agencies, the press, publishing houses, broadcasting stations, and
      others. With their money they stirred revolutions in various parts
      of the world with the purpose of achieving their interests and
      reaping the fruit therein. They were behind the French Revolution,
      the Communist revolution and most of the revolutions we heard and
      hear about, here and there. With their money they formed secret
      societies, such as Freemasons, Rotary Clubs, the Lions and others in
      different parts of the world for the purpose of sabotaging societies
      and achieving Zionist interests. With their money they were able to
      control imperialistic countries and instigate them to colonize many
      countries in order to enable them to exploit their resources and
      spread corruption there.

      "You may speak as much as you want about regional and world wars.
      They were behind World War I, when they were able to destroy the
      Islamic Caliphate, making financial gains and controlling resources.
      They obtained the Balfour Declaration, formed the League of Nations
      through which they could rule the world. They were behind World War
      II, through which they made huge financial gains by trading in
      armaments, and paved the way for the establishment of their state.
      It was they who instigated the replacement of the League of Nations
      with the United Nations and the Security Council to enable them to
      rule the world through them. There is no war going on anywhere,
      without having their finger in it."

      In light of all this evil, Mr. Mish'al's willingness to negotiate is
      laudable:

      "If you are willing to accept the principle of a long-term truce, we
      are prepared to negotiate the terms."

      Or, as Article Thirteen of the Charter puts it (albeit slightly
      differently):

      "There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through
      Jihad. Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all
      a waste of time and vain endeavors."

      In the final analysis, there's really only one course of action
      available to the devout, and it's enshrined in Article Seven of the
      Charter. As one translation renders it:

      "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the
      Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and
      trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is
      a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree,
      (evidently a certain kind of tree) would not do that because it is
      one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Moslem)."

      I realise that at first glance this appears inconsistent with Mr.
      Mish'al's comments about respecting and protecting Jews, and I've
      given quite a lot of thought as to the reasons for this seeming
      discrepancy, as his integrity is unimpeachable. I finally discovered
      that it's an apparent translation problem - my researches have
      uncovered the accurate rendering of the original as:

      "The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew
      behind me, come and extend him the hand of peace."

      Unfortunately, I've lost the URL for that page, and it has
      mysteriously disappeared from Google - almost certainly as the
      result of a Rotary Club conspiracy to discredit Hamas, bringers of
      peace.

      -----------

      UPDATE: I was unaware of the extent of Hamas' obsession with the
      Rotary Club - there's actually a second reference in the Charter
      (Article Seventeen - emphasis added):

      "The Moslem woman has a role no less important than that of the
      moslem man in the battle of liberation. She is the maker of men. Her
      role in guiding and educating the new generations is great. The
      enemies have realised the importance of her role. They consider that
      if they are able to direct and bring her up they way they wish, far
      from Islam, they would have won the battle. That is why you find
      them giving these attempts constant attention through information
      campaigns, films, and the school curriculum, using for that purpose
      their lackeys who are infiltrated through Zionist organizations
      under various names and shapes, such as Freemasons, Rotary Clubs,
      espionage groups and others, which are all nothing more than cells
      of subversion and saboteurs."

      As it occurs to me that many readers may be unaware of the nature of
      the nest of saboteurs that is the Rotary Club, I present a chilling
      image:

      A "cell of subversion and saboteurs"
      (Fear of reprisal discourages specific identification)
      Given enemies like these, is it really so surprising that Hamas must
      resort to drastic measures?

      --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Mato Ska"
      <m_zehr@h...> wrote:

      > I for one take at face value, for now, the words of Hamas, as
      articulated in
      > the post. I do not promote them as being a leader in the
      Palestinian
      > national struggle until I see that demonstrated. The manner in
      which they
      > uphold the struggles of the peoples of Vietnam and South Africa is
      an
      > encouragement. It would have benefited them to address the
      international
      > community, but such was not the case. Their character needs to be
      evaluated
      > by their politics and their dedication to principles of justice
      for the
      > Palestinian people. There is some question as to the meaning
      of "liberation
      > and return". But, that remains to be tested in the reality of
      diplomacy and
      > the demonstration of grass roots support and engagement.
      >
      > Mato Ska

      Hamas
      > Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 16:38:44 +1100
      >
      > I'm no fan of Hamas' politics, but those refusing to see Hamas as a
      > genuine national liberation movement, and those who accept
      imperialist
      > propaganda that Hamas is dedicated to "genocide", ought to read
      this
      > statement and let the list know what you think of what Hamas
      actually
      > says
      >

      > MK
      >

      > We will not sell our people or principles for foreign aid
      >

      > Palestinians voted for Hamas because of our refusal to give up
      their
      > rights. But we are ready to make a just peace
      >
      > Khalid Mish'al
      > Tuesday January 31, 2006
      > The Guardian
      >

      > It is widely recognised that the Palestinians are among the most
      > politicised and educated peoples in the world. When they went to
      the
      > polls last Wednesday they were well aware of what was on offer and
      those
      > who voted for Hamas knew what it stood for. They chose Hamas
      because of
      > its pledge never to give up the legitimate rights of the
      Palestinian
      > people and its promise to embark on a programme of reform. There
      were
      > voices warning them, locally and internationally, not to vote for
      an
      > organisation branded by the US and EU as terrorist because such a
      > democratically exercised right would cost them the financial aid
      > provided by foreign donors.
      > The day Hamas won the Palestinian democratic elections the world's
      > leading democracies failed the test of democracy. Rather than
      recognise
      > the legitimacy of Hamas as a freely elected representative of the
      > Palestinian people, seize the opportunity created by the result to
      > support the development of good governance in Palestine and search
      for a
      > means of ending the bloodshed, the US and EU threatened the
      Palestinian
      > people with collective punishment for exercising their right to
      choose
      > their parliamentary representatives.
      >
      > We are being punished simply for resisting oppression and striving
      for
      > justice. Those who threaten to impose sanctions on our people are
      the
      > same powers that initiated our suffering and continue to support
      our
      > oppressors almost unconditionally. We, the victims, are being
      penalised
      > while our oppressors are pampered. The US and EU could have used
      the
      > success of Hamas to open a new chapter in their relations with the
      > Palestinians, the Arabs and the Muslims and to understand better a
      > movement that has so far been seen largely through the eyes of the
      > Zionist occupiers of our land.
      >
      > Our message to the US and EU governments is this: your attempt to
      force
      > us to give up our principles or our struggle is in vain. Our
      people who
      > gave thousands of martyrs, the millions of refugees who have
      waited for
      > nearly 60 years to return home and our 9,000 political and war
      prisoners
      > in Israeli jails have not made those sacrifices in order to settle
      for
      > close to nothing.
      >
      > Hamas has been elected mainly because of its immovable faith in the
      > inevitability of victory; and Hamas is immune to bribery,
      intimidation
      > and blackmail. While we are keen on having friendly relations with
      all
      > nations we shall not seek friendships at the expense of our
      legitimate
      > rights. We have seen how other nations, including the peoples of
      Vietnam
      > and South Africa, persisted in their struggle until their quest for
      > freedom and justice was accomplished. We are no different, our
      cause is
      > no less worthy, our determination is no less profound and our
      patience
      > is no less abundant.
      >
      > Our message to the Muslim and Arab nations is this: you have a
      > responsibility to stand by your Palestinian brothers and sisters
      whose
      > sacrifices are made on behalf of all of you. Our people in
      Palestine
      > should not need to wait for any aid from countries that attach
      > humiliating conditions to every dollar or euro they pay despite
      their
      > historical and moral responsibility for our plight. We expect you
      > step in and compensate the Palestinian people for any loss of aid
      and we
      > demand you lift all restrictions on civil society institutions
      that wish
      > to fundraise for the Palestinian cause.
      >
      > Our message to the Palestinians is this: our people are not only
      those
      > who live under siege in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip but also
      the
      > millions languishing in refugee camps in Lebanon, Jordan and Syria
      and
      > the millions spread around the world unable to return home. We
      promise
      > you that nothing in the world will deter us from pursuing our goal
      of
      > liberation and return. We shall spare no effort to work with all
      > factions and institutions in order to put our Palestinian house in
      > order. Having won the parliamentary elections, our medium-term
      objective
      > is to reform the PLO in order to revive its role as a true
      > representative of all the Palestinian people, without exception or
      > discrimination.
      >
      > Our message to the Israelis is this: we do not fight you because
      you
      > belong to a certain faith or culture. Jews have lived in the Muslim
      > world for 13 centuries in peace and harmony; they are in our
      religion
      > "the people of the book" who have a covenant from God and His
      Messenger
      > Muhammad (peace be upon him) to be respected and protected. Our
      conflict
      > with you is not religious but political. We have no problem with
      Jews
      > who have not attacked us - our problem is with those who came to
      our
      > land, imposed themselves on us by force, destroyed our society and
      > banished our people.
      >
      > We shall never recognise the right of any power to rob us of our
      land
      > and deny us our national rights. We shall never recognise the
      legitimacy
      > of a Zionist state created on our soil in order to atone for
      somebody
      > else's sins or solve somebody else's problem. But if you are
      willing to
      > accept the principle of a long-term truce, we are prepared to
      negotiate
      > the terms. Hamas is extending a hand of peace to those who are
      truly
      > interested in a peace based on justice.
      >
      > · Khalid Mish'al is head of the political bureau of Hamas
      > hoood88@h...

    • Kisan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Here is an in depth post that contrasts this "superb political
        statement from Hamas" with the Hamas charter which is their core
        manifesto.

        Should their manifesto or charter be given more credibility or a
        propaganda piece for left leaning readers?

        <m_zehr@h...> wrote:

        > I for one take at face value, for now, the words of Hamas, as
        articulated in
        > the post. I do not promote them as being a leader in the
        Palestinian
        > national struggle until I see that demonstrated. The manner in
        which they
        > uphold the struggles of the peoples of Vietnam and South Africa is
        an
        > encouragement. It would have benefited them to address the
        international
        > community, but such was not the case. Their character needs to be
        evaluated
        > by their politics and their dedication to principles of justice
        for the
        > Palestinian people. There is some question as to the meaning
        of "liberation
        > and return". But, that remains to be tested in the reality of
        diplomacy and
        > the demonstration of grass roots support and engagement.
        >
        > Mato Ska

      • Michael Karadjis
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            Dear Michael,

            At present I don't have several hours to respond to each and every
            facet of your long response. I also feel it to be unnecessary.

            So just the core point about the contradictions of the Hamas Charter
            and this piece custom written for the Guardian readers which you
            describe as "their real world program" a little naively.
            You explain why the Hamas Charter is irrelevant as if you are
            somehow in the know as to what Hamas's inner thoughts are.

            However a Hamas spokesman denies vehemently what you say and may in
            my humble opinion be more of a guide to the thoughts of Hamas than
            your speculations on the matter.
            Here's the money quote from a NYTimes article a couple of days ago:

            Despite the platform's relative moderation, a Hamas spokesman, Sami
            Abu Zuhri, vehemently denied any contradictions with the
            charter. "The platform refers to details and implementation methods
            for the next four years, while the charter lays out our permanent
            strategic views," he said.

            http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/international/middleeast/29hamasx.h
            tml?_r=1&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

            So according to a Hamas spokesman the charter lays out their
            permanent strategic views.

            I won't engage with your other points which take the discussion in
            many other directions.

            But for those who wish to see what according to current statement of
            a current Hamas spokesman represents their permanent strategic views
            here is the Hamas charter:

            http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/mideast/hamas.htm

            Hamas Covenant 1988
            The Covenant
            of the
            Islamic Resistance Movement
            In The Name Of The Most Merciful Allah

            "Ye are the best nation that hath been raised up unto mankind: ye
            command that which is just, and ye forbid that which is unjust, and
            ye believe in Allah. And if they who have received the scriptures
            had believed, it had surely been the better for them: there are
            believers among them, but the greater part of them are
            transgressors. They shall not hurt you, unless with a slight hurt;
            and if they fight against you, they shall turn their backs to you,
            and they shall not be helped. They are smitten with vileness
            wheresoever they are found; unless they obtain security by entering
            into a treaty with Allah, and a treaty with men; and they draw on
            themselves indignation from Allah, and they are afflicted with
            poverty. This they suffer, because they disbelieved the signs of
            Allah, and slew the prophets unjustly; this, because they were
            rebellious, and transgressed." (Al-Imran - verses 109-111).

            Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will
            obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it" (The Martyr,
            Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

            "The Islamic world is on fire. Each of us should pour some water, no
            matter how little, to extinguish whatever one can without waiting
            for the others." (Sheikh Amjad al-Zahawi, of blessed memory).

            In The Name Of The Most Merciful Allah

            Introduction
            Praise be unto Allah, to whom we resort for help, and whose
            forgiveness, guidance and support we seek; Allah bless the Prophet
            and grant him salvation, his companions and supporters, and to those
            who carried out his message and adopted his laws - everlasting
            prayers and salvation as long as the earth and heaven will last.
            Hereafter:

            O People:
            Out of the midst of troubles and the sea of suffering, out of the
            palpitations of faithful hearts and cleansed arms; out of the sense
            of duty, and in response to Allah's command, the call has gone out
            rallying people together and making them follow the ways of Allah,
            leading them to have determined will in order to fulfill their role
            in life, to overcome all obstacles, and surmount the difficulties on
            the way. Constant preparation has continued and so has the readiness
            to sacrifice life and all that is precious for the sake of Allah.

            Thus it was that the nucleus (of the movement) was formed and
            started to pave its way through the tempestuous sea of hopes and
            expectations, of wishes and yearnings, of troubles and obstacles, of
            pain and challenges, both inside and outside.

            When the idea was ripe, the seed grew and the plant struck root in
            the soil of reality, away from passing emotions, and hateful haste.
            The Islamic Resistance Movement emerged to carry out its role
            through striving for the sake of its Creator, its arms intertwined
            with those of all the fighters for the liberation of Palestine. The
            spirits of its fighters meet with the spirits of all the fighters
            who have sacrificed their lives on the soil of Palestine, ever since
            it was conquered by the companions of the Prophet, Allah bless him
            and grant him salvation, and until this day.

            This Covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement (HAMAS), clarifies
            its picture, reveals its identity, outlines its stand, explains its
            aims, speaks about its hopes, and calls for its support, adoption
            and joining its ranks. Our struggle against the Jews is very great
            and very serious. It needs all sincere efforts. It is a step that
            inevitably should be followed by other steps. The Movement is but
            one squadron that should be supported by more and more squadrons
            from this vast Arab and Islamic world, until the enemy is vanquished
            and Allah's victory is realised.

            Thus we see them coming on the horizon "and you shall learn about it
            hereafter" "Allah hath written, Verily I will prevail, and my
            apostles: for Allah is strong and mighty." (The Dispute - verse 21).

            "Say to them, This is my way: I invite you to Allah, by an evident
            demonstration; both I and he who followeth me; and, praise be unto
            Allah! I am not an idolator." (Joseph - verse 107).

            Hamas (means) strength and bravery -(according to) Al-Mua'jam al-
            Wasit: c1.
            Definition of the Movement

            Ideological Starting-Points

            Article One:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement: The Movement's programme is Islam.
            From it, it draws its ideas, ways of thinking and understanding of
            the universe, life and man. It resorts to it for judgement in all
            its conduct, and it is inspired by it for guidance of its steps.

            The Islamic Resistance Movement's Relation With the Moslem
            Brotherhood Group:

            Article Two:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement is one of the wings of Moslem
            Brotherhood in Palestine. Moslem Brotherhood Movement is a universal
            organization which constitutes the largest Islamic movement in
            modern times. It is characterised by its deep understanding,
            accurate comprehension and its complete embrace of all Islamic
            concepts of all aspects of life, culture, creed, politics,
            economics, education, society, justice and judgement, the spreading
            of Islam, education, art, information, science of the occult and
            conversion to Islam.

            Structure and Formation

            Article Three:
            The basic structure of the Islamic Resistance Movement consists of
            Moslems who have given their allegiance to Allah whom they truly
            worship, - "I have created the jinn and humans only for the purpose
            of worshipping" - who know their duty towards themselves, their
            families and country. In all that, they fear Allah and raise the
            banner of Jihad in the face of the oppressors, so that they would
            rid the land and the people of their uncleanliness, vileness and
            evils.

            "But we will oppose truth to vanity, and it shall confound the same;
            and behold, it shall vanish away." (Prophets - verse 18).
            Article Four:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement welcomes every Moslem who embraces
            its faith, ideology, follows its programme, keeps its secrets, and
            wants to belong to its ranks and carry out the duty. Allah will
            certainly reward such one.

            Time and Place Extent of the Islamic Resistance Movement:

            Article Five:
            Time extent of the Islamic Resistance Movement: By adopting Islam as
            its way of life, the Movement goes back to the time of the birth of
            the Islamic message, of the righteous ancestor, for Allah is its
            target, the Prophet is its example and the Koran is its
            constitution. Its extent in place is anywhere that there are Moslems
            who embrace Islam as their way of life everywhere in the globe. This
            being so, it extends to the depth of the earth and reaches out to
            the heaven.

            "Dost thou not see how Allah putteth forth a parable; representing a
            good word, as a good tree, whose root is firmly fixed in the earth,
            and whose branches reach unto heaven; which bringeth forth its fruit
            in all seasons, by the will of its Lord? Allah propoundeth parables
            unto men, that they may be instructed." (Abraham - verses 24-25).
            Characteristics and Independence:

            Article Six:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement is a distinguished Palestinian
            movement, whose allegiance is to Allah, and whose way of life is
            Islam. It strives to raise the banner of Allah over every inch of
            Palestine, for under the wing of Islam followers of all religions
            can coexist in security and safety where their lives, possessions
            and rights are concerned. In the absence of Islam, strife will be
            rife, oppression spreads, evil prevails and schisms and wars will
            break out.

            How excellent was the Moslem poet, Mohamed Ikbal, when he wrote:

            "If faith is lost, there is no security and there is no life for him
            who does not adhere to religion. He who accepts life without
            religion, has taken annihilation as his companion for life."
            The Universality of the Islamic Resistance Movement:

            Article Seven:
            As a result of the fact that those Moslems who adhere to the ways of
            the Islamic Resistance Movement spread all over the world, rally
            support for it and its stands, strive towards enhancing its
            struggle, the Movement is a universal one. It is well-equipped for
            that because of the clarity of its ideology, the nobility of its aim
            and the loftiness of its objectives.

            On this basis, the Movement should be viewed and evaluated, and its
            role be recognised. He who denies its right, evades supporting it
            and turns a blind eye to facts, whether intentionally or
            unintentionally, would awaken to see that events have overtaken him
            and with no logic to justify his attitude. One should certainly
            learn from past examples.

            The injustice of next-of-kin is harder to bear than the smite of the
            Indian sword.

            "We have also sent down unto thee the book of the Koran with truth,
            confirming that scripture which was revealed before it; and
            preserving the same safe from corruption. Judge therefore between
            them according to that which Allah hath revealed; and follow not
            their desires, by swerving from the truth which hath come unto thee.
            Unto every of you have we given a law, and an open path; and if
            Allah had pleased, he had surely made you one people; but he hath
            thought it fit to give you different laws, that he might try you in
            that which he hath given you respectively. Therefore strive to excel
            each other in good works; unto Allah shall ye all return, and then
            will he declare unto you that concerning which ye have disagreed."
            (The Table, verse 48).
            The Islamic Resistance Movement is one of the links in the chain of
            the struggle against the Zionist invaders. It goes back to 1939, to
            the emergence of the martyr Izz al-Din al Kissam and his brethren
            the fighters, members of Moslem Brotherhood. It goes on to reach out
            and become one with another chain that includes the struggle of the
            Palestinians and Moslem Brotherhood in the 1948 war and the Jihad
            operations of the Moslem Brotherhood in 1968 and after.

            Moreover, if the links have been distant from each other and if
            obstacles, placed by those who are the lackeys of Zionism in the way
            of the fighters obstructed the continuation of the struggle, the
            Islamic Resistance Movement aspires to the realisation of Allah's
            promise, no matter how long that should take. The Prophet, Allah
            bless him and grant him salvation, has said:

            "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the
            Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and
            trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is
            a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree,
            (evidently a certain kind of tree) would not do that because it is
            one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Moslem).
            The Slogan of the Islamic Resistance Movement:

            Article Eight:
            Allah is its target, the Prophet is its model, the Koran its
            constitution: Jihad is its path and death for the sake of Allah is
            the loftiest of its wishes.

            Objectives

            Incentives and Objectives:

            Article Nine:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement found itself at a time when Islam
            has disappeared from life. Thus rules shook, concepts were upset,
            values changed and evil people took control, oppression and darkness
            prevailed, cowards became like tigers: homelands were usurped,
            people were scattered and were caused to wander all over the world,
            the state of justice disappeared and the state of falsehood replaced
            it. Nothing remained in its right place. Thus, when Islam is absent
            from the arena, everything changes. From this state of affairs the
            incentives are drawn.

            As for the objectives: They are the fighting against the false,
            defeating it and vanquishing it so that justice could prevail,
            homelands be retrieved and from its mosques would the voice of the
            mu'azen emerge declaring the establishment of the state of Islam, so
            that people and things would return each to their right places and
            Allah is our helper.

            "...and if Allah had not prevented men, the one by the other, verily
            the earth had been corrupted: but Allah is beneficient towards his
            creatures." (The Cow - verse 251).
            Article Ten:
            As the Islamic Resistance Movement paves its way, it will back the
            oppressed and support the wronged with all its might. It will spare
            no effort to bring about justice and defeat injustice, in word and
            deed, in this place and everywhere it can reach and have influence
            therein.

            Strategies and Methods

            Strategies of the Islamic Resistance Movement: Palestine Is Islamic
            aqf:

            Article Eleven:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine
            is an Islamic Waqf consecrated for future Moslem generations until
            Judgement Day. It, or any part of it, should not be squandered: it,
            or any part of it, should not be given up. Neither a single Arab
            country nor all Arab countries, neither any king or president, nor
            all the kings and presidents, neither any organization nor all of
            them, be they Palestinian or Arab, possess the right to do that.
            Palestine is an Islamic Waqf land consecrated for Moslem generations
            until Judgement Day. This being so, who could claim to have the
            right to represent Moslem generations till Judgement Day?

            This is the law governing the land of Palestine in the Islamic
            Sharia (law) and the same goes for any land the Moslems have
            conquered by force, because during the times of (Islamic) conquests,
            the Moslems consecrated these lands to Moslem generations till the
            Day of Judgement.

            It happened like this: When the leaders of the Islamic armies
            conquered Syria and Iraq, they sent to the Caliph of the Moslems,
            Umar bin-el-Khatab, asking for his advice concerning the conquered
            land - whether they should divide it among the soldiers, or leave it
            for its owners, or what? After consultations and discussions between
            the Caliph of the Moslems, Omar bin-el-Khatab and companions of the
            Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, it was decided
            that the land should be left with its owners who could benefit by
            its fruit. As for the real ownership of the land and the land
            itself, it should be consecrated for Moslem generations till
            Judgement Day. Those who are on the land, are there only to benefit
            from its fruit. This Waqf remains as long as earth and heaven
            remain. Any procedure in contradiction to Islamic Sharia, where
            Palestine is concerned, is null and void.

            "Verily, this is a certain truth. Wherefore praise the name of thy
            Lord, the great Allah." (The Inevitable - verse 95).
            Homeland and Nationalism from the Point of View of the Islamic
            Resistance Movement in Palestine:

            Article Twelve:
            Nationalism, from the point of view of the Islamic Resistance
            Movement, is part of the religious creed. Nothing in nationalism is
            more significant or deeper than in the case when an enemy should
            tread Moslem land. Resisting and quelling the enemy become the
            individual duty of every Moslem, male or female. A woman can go out
            to fight the enemy without her husband's permission, and so does the
            slave: without his master's permission.

            Nothing of the sort is to be found in any other regime. This is an
            undisputed fact. If other nationalist movements are connected with
            materialistic, human or regional causes, nationalism of the Islamic
            Resistance Movement has all these elements as well as the more
            important elements that give it soul and life. It is connected to
            the source of spirit and the granter of life, hoisting in the sky of
            the homeland the heavenly banner that joins earth and heaven with a
            strong bond.

            If Moses comes and throws his staff, both witch and magic are
            annulled.

            "Now is the right direction manifestly distinguished from deceit:
            whoever therefore shall deny Tagut, and believe in Allah, he shall
            surely take hold with a strong handle, which shall not be broken;
            Allah is he who heareth and seeth." (The Cow - Verse 256).
            Peaceful Solutions, Initiatives and International Conferences:

            Article Thirteen:
            Initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international
            conferences, are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic
            Resistance Movement. Abusing any part of Palestine is abuse directed
            against part of religion. Nationalism of the Islamic Resistance
            Movement is part of its religion. Its members have been fed on that.
            For the sake of hoisting the banner of Allah over their homeland
            they fight. "Allah will be prominent, but most people do not know."

            Now and then the call goes out for the convening of an international
            conference to look for ways of solving the (Palestinian) question.
            Some accept, others reject the idea, for this or other reason, with
            one stipulation or more for consent to convening the conference and
            participating in it. Knowing the parties constituting the
            conference, their past and present attitudes towards Moslem
            problems, the Islamic Resistance Movement does not consider these
            conferences capable of realising the demands, restoring the rights
            or doing justice to the oppressed. These conferences are only ways
            of setting the infidels in the land of the Moslems as arbitraters.
            When did the infidels do justice to the believers?

            "But the Jews will not be pleased with thee, neither the Christians,
            until thou follow their religion; say, The direction of Allah is the
            true direction. And verily if thou follow their desires, after the
            knowledge which hath been given thee, thou shalt find no patron or
            protector against Allah." (The Cow - verse 120).
            There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through
            Jihad. Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all
            a waste of time and vain endeavors. The Palestinian people know
            better than to consent to having their future, rights and fate toyed
            with. As in said in the honourable Hadith:

            "The people of Syria are Allah's lash in His land. He wreaks His
            vengeance through them against whomsoever He wishes among His slaves
            It is unthinkable that those who are double-faced among them should
            prosper over the faithful. They will certainly die out of grief and
            desperation."
            The Three Circles:

            Article Fourteen:
            The question of the liberation of Palestine is bound to three
            circles: the Palestinian circle, the Arab circle and the Islamic
            circle. Each of these circles has its role in the struggle against
            Zionism. Each has its duties, and it is a horrible mistake and a
            sign of deep ignorance to overlook any of these circles. Palestine
            is an Islamic land which has the first of the two kiblahs (direction
            to which Moslems turn in praying), the third of the holy (Islamic)
            sanctuaries, and the point of departure for Mohamed's midnight
            journey to the seven heavens (i.e. Jerusalem).

            "Praise be unto him who transported his servant by night, from the
            sacred temple of Mecca to the farther temple of Jerusalem, the
            circuit of which we have blessed, that we might show him some of our
            signs; for Allah is he who heareth, and seeth." (The Night-Journey -
            verse 1).
            Since this is the case, liberation of Palestine is then an
            individual duty for very Moslem wherever he may be. On this basis,
            the problem should be viewed. This should be realised by every
            Moslem.

            The day the problem is dealt with on this basis, when the three
            circles mobilize their capabilities, the present state of affairs
            will change and the day of liberation will come nearer.

            "Verily ye are stronger than they, by reason of the terror cast into
            their breasts from Allah. This, because they are not people of
            prudence." (The Emigration - verse 13).
            The Jihad for the Liberation of Palestine is an Individual Duty:

            Article Fifteen:
            The day that enemies usurp part of Moslem land, Jihad becomes the
            individual duty of every Moslem. In face of the Jews' usurpation of
            Palestine, it is compulsory that the banner of Jihad be raised. To
            do this requires the diffusion of Islamic consciousness among the
            masses, both on the regional, Arab and Islamic levels. It is
            necessary to instill the spirit of Jihad in the heart of the nation
            so that they would confront the enemies and join the ranks of the
            fighters.

            It is necessary that scientists, educators and teachers, information
            and media people, as well as the educated masses, especially the
            youth and sheikhs of the Islamic movements, should take part in the
            operation of awakening (the masses). It is important that basic
            changes be made in the school curriculum, to cleanse it of the
            traces of ideological invasion that affected it as a result of the
            orientalists and missionaries who infiltrated the region following
            the defeat of the Crusaders at the hands of Salah el-Din (Saladin).
            The Crusaders realised that it was impossible to defeat the Moslems
            without first having ideological invasion pave the way by upsetting
            their thoughts, disfiguring their heritage and violating their
            ideals. Only then could they invade with soldiers. This, in its
            turn, paved the way for the imperialistic invasion that made Allenby
            declare on entering Jerusalem: "Only now have the Crusades ended."
            General Guru stood at Salah el-Din's grave and said: "We have
            returned, O Salah el-Din." Imperialism has helped towards the
            strengthening of ideological invasion, deepening, and still does,
            its roots. All this has paved the way towards the loss of Palestine.

            It is necessary to instill in the minds of the Moslem generations
            that the Palestinian problem is a religious problem, and should be
            dealt with on this basis. Palestine contains Islamic holy sites. In
            it there is al- Aqsa Mosque which is bound to the great Mosque in
            Mecca in an inseparable bond as long as heaven and earth speak of
            Isra` (Mohammed's midnight journey to the seven heavens) and Mi'raj
            (Mohammed's ascension to the seven heavens from Jerusalem).

            "The bond of one day for the sake of Allah is better than the world
            and whatever there is on it. The place of one's whip in Paradise is
            far better than the world and whatever there is on it. A
            worshipper's going and coming in the service of Allah is better than
            the world and whatever there is on it." (As related by al-Bukhari,
            Moslem, al-Tarmdhi and Ibn Maja).
            "I swear by the holder of Mohammed's soul that I would like to
            invade and be killed for the sake of Allah, then invade and be
            killed, and then invade again and be killed." (As related by al-
            Bukhari and Moslem).
            The Education of the Generations:

            Article Sixteen:
            It is necessary to follow Islamic orientation in educating the
            Islamic generations in our region by teaching the religious duties,
            comprehensive study of the Koran, the study of the Prophet's Sunna
            (his sayings and doings), and learning about Islamic history and
            heritage from their authentic sources. This should be done by
            specialised and learned people, using a curriculum that would
            healthily form the thoughts and faith of the Moslem student. Side by
            side with this, a comprehensive study of the enemy, his human and
            financial capabilities, learning about his points of weakness and
            strength, and getting to know the forces supporting and helping him,
            should also be included. Also, it is important to be acquainted with
            the current events, to follow what is new and to study the analysis
            and commentaries made of these events. Planning for the present and
            future, studying every trend appearing, is a must so that the
            fighting Moslem would live knowing his aim, objective and his way in
            the midst of what is going on around him.

            "O my son, verily every matter, whether good or bad, though it be
            the weight of a grain of mustard-seed, and be hidden in a rock, or
            in the heavens, or in the earth, Allah will bring the same to light;
            for Allah is clear-sighted and knowing. O my son, be constant at
            prayer, and command that which is just, and forbid that which is
            evil: and be patient under the afflictions which shall befall thee;
            for this is a duty absolutely incumbent on all men. Distort not thy
            face out of contempt to men, neither walk in the earth with
            insolence; for Allah loveth no arrogant, vain-glorious person."
            (Lokman - verses 16-18).
            The Role of the Moslem Woman:

            Article Seventeen:
            The Moslem woman has a role no less important than that of the
            moslem man in the battle of liberation. She is the maker of men. Her
            role in guiding and educating the new generations is great. The
            enemies have realised the importance of her role. They consider that
            if they are able to direct and bring her up they way they wish, far
            from Islam, they would have won the battle. That is why you find
            them giving these attempts constant attention through information
            campaigns, films, and the school curriculum, using for that purpose
            their lackeys who are infiltrated through Zionist organizations
            under various names and shapes, such as Freemasons, Rotary Clubs,
            espionage groups and others, which are all nothing more than cells
            of subversion and saboteurs. These organizations have ample
            resources that enable them to play their role in societies for the
            purpose of achieving the Zionist targets and to deepen the concepts
            that would serve the enemy. These organizations operate in the
            absence of Islam and its estrangement among its people. The Islamic
            peoples should perform their role in confronting the conspiracies of
            these saboteurs. The day Islam is in control of guiding the affairs
            of life, these organizations, hostile to humanity and Islam, will be
            obliterated.

            Article Eighteen:
            Woman in the home of the fighting family, whether she is a mother or
            a sister, plays the most important role in looking after the family,
            rearing the children and embuing them with moral values and thoughts
            derived from Islam. She has to teach them to perform the religious
            duties in preparation for the role of fighting awaiting them. That
            is why it is necessary to pay great attention to schools and the
            curriculum followed in educating Moslem girls, so that they would
            grow up to be good mothers, aware of their role in the battle of
            liberation.

            She has to be of sufficient knowledge and understanding where the
            performance of housekeeping matters are concerned, because economy
            and avoidance of waste of the family budget, is one of the
            requirements for the ability to continue moving forward in the
            difficult conditions surrounding us. She should put before her eyes
            the fact that the money available to her is just like blood which
            should never flow except through the veins so that both children and
            grown-ups could continue to live.

            "Verily, the Moslems of either sex, and the true believers of either
            sex, and the devout men, and the devout women, and the men of
            veracity, and the women of veracity, and the patient men, and the
            patient women, and the humble men, and the humble women, and the
            alms-givers of either sex who remember Allah frequently; for them
            hath Allah prepared forgiveness and a great reward." (The
            Confederates - verse 25).
            The Role of Islamic Art in the Battle of Liberation:

            Article Nineteen:
            Art has regulations and measures by which it can be determined
            whether it is Islamic or pre-Islamic (Jahili) art. The issues of
            Islamic liberation are in need of Islamic art that would take the
            spirit high, without raising one side of human nature above the
            other, but rather raise all of them harmoniously an in equilibrium.

            Man is a unique and wonderful creature, made out of a handful of
            clay and a breath from Allah. Islamic art addresses man on this
            basis, while pre-Islamic art addresses the body giving preference to
            the clay component in it.

            The book, the article, the bulletin, the sermon, the thesis, the
            popular poem, the poetic ode, the song, the play and others, contain
            the characteristics of Islamic art, then these are among the
            requirements of ideological mobilization, renewed food for the
            journey and recreation for the soul. The road is long and suffering
            is plenty. The soul will be bored, but Islamic art renews the
            energies, resurrects the movement, arousing in them lofty meanings
            and proper conduct. "Nothing can improve the self if it is in
            retreat except shifting from one mood to another."

            All this is utterly serious and no jest, for those who are fighters
            do not jest.

            Social Mutual Responsibility:

            Article Twenty:
            Moslem society is a mutually responsible society. The Prophet,
            prayers and greetings be unto him, said: "Blessed are the generous,
            whether they were in town or on a journey, who have collected all
            that they had and shared it equally among themselves."

            The Islamic spirit is what should prevail in every Moslem society.
            The society that confronts a vicious enemy which acts in a way
            similar to Nazism, making no differentiation between man and woman,
            between children and old people - such a society is entitled to this
            Islamic spirit. Our enemy relies on the methods of collective
            punishment. He has deprived people of their homeland and properties,
            pursued them in their places of exile and gathering, breaking bones,
            shooting at women, children and old people, with or without a
            reason. The enemy has opened detention camps where thousands and
            thousands of people are thrown and kept under sub-human conditions.
            Added to this, are the demolition of houses, rendering children
            orphans, meting cruel sentences against thousands of young people,
            and causing them to spend the best years of their lives in the
            dungeons of prisons.

            In their Nazi treatment, the Jews made no exception for women or
            children. Their policy of striking fear in the heart is meant for
            all. They attack people where their breadwinning is concerned,
            extorting their money and threatening their honour. They deal with
            people as if they were the worst war criminals. Deportation from the
            homeland is a kind of murder.

            To counter these deeds, it is necessary that social mutual
            responsibility should prevail among the people. The enemy should be
            faced by the people as a single body which if one member of it
            should complain, the rest of the body would respond by feeling the
            same pains.

            Article Twenty-One:
            Mutual social responsibility means extending assistance, financial
            or moral, to all those who are in need and joining in the execution
            of some of the work. Members of the Islamic Resistance Movement
            should consider the interests of the masses as their own personal
            interests. They must spare no effort in achieving and preserving
            them. They must prevent any foul play with the future of the
            upcoming generations and anything that could cause loss to society.
            The masses are part of them and they are part of the masses. Their
            strength is theirs, and their future is theirs. Members of the
            Islamic Resistance Movement should share the people's joy and grief,
            adopt the demands of the public and whatever means by which they
            could be realised. The day that such a spirit prevails,
            brotherliness would deepen, cooperation, sympathy and unity will be
            enhanced and the ranks will be solidified to confront the enemies.

            Supportive Forces Behind the Enemy:

            Article Twenty-Two:
            For a long time, the enemies have been planning, skillfully and with
            precision, for the achievement of what they have attained. They took
            into consideration the causes affecting the current of events. They
            strived to amass great and substantive material wealth which they
            devoted to the realisation of their dream. With their money, they
[...]

            "So often as they shall kindle a fire for war, Allah shall
            extinguish it; and they shall set their minds to act corruptly in
            the earth, but Allah loveth not the corrupt doers." (The Table -
            verse 64).
            The imperialistic forces in the Capitalist West and Communist East,
            support the enemy with all their might, in money and in men. These
            forces take turns in doing that. The day Islam appears, the forces
            of infidelity would unite to challenge it, for the infidels are of
            one nation.

            "O true believers, contract not an intimate friendship with any
            besides yourselves: they will not fail to corrupt you. They wish for
            that which may cause you to perish: their hatred hath already
            appeared from out of their mouths; but what their breasts conceal is
            yet more inveterate. We have already shown you signs of their ill
            will towards you, if ye understand." (The Family of Imran - verse
            118).
            It is not in vain that the verse is ended with Allah's words "if ye
            understand."

            Our Attitudes Towards:

            A. Islamic Movements:

            Article Twenty-Three:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement views other Islamic movements with
            respect and appreciation. If it were at variance with them on one
            point or opinion, it is in agreement with them on other points and
            understandings. It considers these movements, if they reveal good
            intentions and dedication to Allah, that they fall into the category
            of those who are trying hard since they act within the Islamic
            circle. Each active person has his share.

            The Islamic Resistance Movement considers all these movements as a
            fund for itself. It prays to Allah for guidance and directions for
            all and it spares no effort to keep the banner of unity raised, ever
            striving for its realisation in accordance with the Koran and the
            Prophet's directives.

            "And cleave all of you unto the covenant of Allah, and depart not
            from it, and remember the favour of Allah towards you: since ye were
            enemies, and he reconciled your hearts, and ye became companions and
            brethren by his favour: and ye were on the brink of a pit of fire,
            and he delivered you thence. Allah declareth unto you his signs,
            that ye may be directed." (The Family of Imran - Verse 102).
            Article Twenty-Four:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement does not allow slandering or
            speaking ill of individuals or groups, for the believer does not
            indulge in such malpractices. It is necessary to differentiate
            between this behaviour and the stands taken by certain individuals
            and groups. Whenever those stands are erroneous, the Islamic
            Resistance Movement preserves the right to expound the error and to
            warn against it. It will strive to show the right path and to judge
            the case in question with objectivity. Wise conduct is indeed the
            target of the believer who follows it wherever he discerns it.

            "Allah loveth not the speaking ill of anyone in public, unless he
            who is injured call for assistance; and Allah heareth and knoweth:
            whether ye publish a good action, or conceal it, or forgive evil,
            verily Allah is gracious and powerful." (Women - verses 147-148).
            B. Nationalist Movements in the Palestinian Arena:

            Article Twenty-Five:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement respects these movements and
            appreciates their circumstances and the conditions surrounding and
            affecting them. It encourages them as long as they do not give their
            allegiance to the Communist East or the Crusading West. It confirms
            to all those who are integrated in it, or sympathetic towards it,
            that the Islamic Resistance Movement is a fighting movement that has
            a moral and enlightened look of life and the way it should cooperate
            with the other (movements). It detests opportunism and desires only
            the good of people, individuals and groups alike. It does not seek
            material gains, personal fame, nor does it look for a reward from
            others. It works with its own resources and whatever is at its
            disposal "and prepare for them whatever force you can", for the
            fulfilment of the duty, and the earning of Allah's favour. It has no
            other desire than that.

            The Movement assures all the nationalist trends operating in the
            Palestinian arena for the liberation of Palestine, that it is there
            for their support and assistance. It will never be more than that,
            both in words and deeds, now and in the future. It is there to bring
            together and not to divide, to preserve and not to squander, to
            unify and not to throw asunder. It evaluates every good word,
            sincere effort and good offices. It closes the door in the face of
            side disagreements and does not lend an ear to rumours and slanders,
            while at the same time fully realising the right for self-defence.

            Anything contrary or contradictory to these trends, is a lie
            disseminated by enemies or their lackeys for the purpose of sowing
            confusion, disrupting the ranks and occupy them with side issues.

            "O true believers, if a wicked man come unto you with a tale,
            inquire strictly into the truth thereof; lest ye hurt people through
            ignorance, and afterwards repent of what ye have done." (The Inner
            Apartments - verse 6).
            Article Twenty-Six:
            In viewing the Palestinian nationalist movements that give
            allegiance neither to the East nor the West, in this positive way,
            the Islamic Resistance Movement does not refrain from discussing new
            situations on the regional or international levels where the
            Palestinian question is concerned. It does that in such an objective
            manner revealing the extent of how much it is in harmony or
            contradiction with the national interests in the light of the
            Islamic point of view.

            C. The Palestinian Liberation Organization:

            Article Twenty-Seven:
            The Palestinian Liberation Organization is the closest to the heart
            of the Islamic Resistance Movement. It contains the father and the
            brother, the next of kin and the friend. The Moslem does not
            estrange himself from his father, brother, next of kin or friend.
            Our homeland is one, our situation is one, our fate is one and the
            enemy is a joint enemy to all of us.

            Because of the situations surrounding the formation of the
            Organization, of the ideological confusion prevailing in the Arab
            world as a result of the ideological invasion under whose influence
            the Arab world has fallen since the defeat of the Crusaders and
            which was, and still is, intensified through orientalists,
            missionaries and imperialists, the Organization adopted the idea of
            the secular state. And that it how we view it.

            Secularism completely contradicts religious ideology. Attitudes,
            conduct and decisions stem from ideologies.

            That is why, with all our appreciation for The Palestinian
            Liberation Organization - and what it can develop into - and without
            belittling its role in the Arab-Israeli conflict, we are unable to
            exchange the present or future Islamic Palestine with the secular
            idea. The Islamic nature of Palestine is part of our religion and
            whoever takes his religion lightly is a loser.

            "Who will be adverse to the religion of Abraham, but he whose mind
            is infatuated? (The Cow - verse 130).
            The day The Palestinian Liberation Organization adopts Islam as its
            way of life, we will become its soldiers, and fuel for its fire that
            will burn the enemies.

            Until such a day, and we pray to Allah that it will be soon, the
            Islamic Resistance Movement's stand towards the PLO is that of the
            son towards his father, the brother towards his brother, and the
            relative to relative, suffers his pain and supports him in
            confronting the enemies, wishing him to be wise and well-guided.

            "Stand by your brother, for he who is brotherless is like the
            fighter who goes to battle without arms. One's cousin is the wing
            one flies with - could the bird fly without wings?"
            D. Arab and Islamic Countries:

            Article Twenty-Eight:
            The Zionist invasion is a vicious invasion. It does not refrain from
            resorting to all methods, using all evil and contemptible ways to
            achieve its end. It relies greatly in its infiltration and espionage
            operations on the secret organizations it gave rise to, such as the
            Freemasons, The Rotary and Lions clubs, and other sabotage groups.
            All these organizations, whether secret or open, work in the
            interest of Zionism and according to its instructions. They aim at
            undermining societies, destroying values, corrupting consciences,
            deteriorating character and annihilating Islam. It is behind the
            drug trade and alcoholism in all its kinds so as to facilitate its
            control and expansion.

            Arab countries surrounding Israel are asked to open their borders
            before the fighters from among the Arab and Islamic nations so that
            they could consolidate their efforts with those of their Moslem
            brethren in Palestine.

            As for the other Arab and Islamic countries, they are asked to
            facilitate the movement of the fighters from and to it, and this is
            the least thing they could do.

            We should not forget to remind every Moslem that when the Jews
            conquered the Holy City in 1967, they stood on the threshold of the
            Aqsa Mosque and proclaimed that "Mohammed is dead, and his
            descendants are all women."

            Israel, Judaism and Jews challenge Islam and the Moslem people. "May
            the cowards never sleep."

            E. Nationalist and Religious Groupings, Institutions, Intellectuals,
            The Arab and Islamic World:

            The Islamic Resistance Movement hopes that all these groupings will
            side with it in all spheres, would support it, adopt its stand and
            solidify its activities and moves, work towards rallying support for
            it so that the Islamic people will be a base and a stay for it,
            supplying it with strategic depth an all human material and
            informative spheres, in time and in place. This should be done
            through the convening of solidarity conferences, the issuing of
            explanatory bulletins, favourable articles and booklets,
            enlightening the masses regarding the Palestinian issue, clarifying
            what confronts it and the conspiracies woven around it. They should
            mobilize the Islamic nations, ideologically, educationally and
            culturally, so that these peoples would be equipped to perform their
            role in the decisive battle of liberation, just as they did when
            they vanquished the Crusaders and the Tatars and saved human
            civilization. Indeed, that is not difficult for Allah.

            "Allah hath written, Verily I will prevail, and my apostles: for
            Allah is strong and mighty." (The Dispute - verse 21).
            Article Thirty:
            Writers, intellectuals, media people, orators, educaters and
            teachers, and all the various sectors in the Arab and Islamic world -
            all of them are called upon to perform their role, and to fulfill
            their duty, because of the ferocity of the Zionist offensive and the
            Zionist influence in many countries exercised through financial and
            media control, as well as the consequences that all this lead to in
            the greater part of the world.

            Jihad is not confined to the carrying of arms and the confrontation
            of the enemy. The effective word, the good article, the useful book,
            support and solidarity - together with the presence of sincere
            purpose for the hoisting of Allah's banner higher and higher - all
            these are elements of the Jihad for Allah's sake.

            "Whosoever mobilises a fighter for the sake of Allah is himself a
            fighter. Whosoever supports the relatives of a fighter, he himself
            is a fighter." (related by al-Bukhari, Moslem, Abu-Dawood and al-
            Tarmadhi).
            F. Followers of Other Religions: The Islamic Resistance Movement Is
            A Humanistic Movement:

            Article Thirty-One:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement is a humanistic movement. It takes
            care of human rights and is guided by Islamic tolerance when dealing
            with the followers of other religions. It does not antagonize anyone
            of them except if it is antagonized by it or stands in its way to
            hamper its moves and waste its efforts.

            Under the wing of Islam, it is possible for the followers of the
            three religions - Islam, Christianity and Judaism - to coexist in
            peace and quiet with each other. Peace and quiet would not be
            possible except under the wing of Islam. Past and present history
            are the best witness to that.

            It is the duty of the followers of other religions to stop disputing
            the sovereignty of Islam in this region, because the day these
            followers should take over there will be nothing but carnage,
            displacement and terror. Everyone of them is at variance with his
            fellow-religionists, not to speak about followers of other
            religionists. Past and present history are full of examples to prove
            this fact.

            "They will not fight against you in a body, except in fenced towns,
            or from behind walls. Their strength in war among themselves is
            great: thou thinkest them to be united; but their hearts are
            divided. This, because they are people who do not understand." (The
            Emigration - verse 14).
            Islam confers upon everyone his legitimate rights. Islam prevents
            the incursion on other people's rights. The Zionist Nazi activities
            against our people will not last for long. "For the state of
            injustice lasts but one day, while the state of justice lasts till
            Doomsday."

            "As to those who have not borne arms against you on account of
            religion, nor turned you out of your dwellings, Allah forbiddeth you
            not to deal kindly with them, and to behave justly towards them; for
            Allah loveth those who act justly." (The Tried - verse 8).
            The Attempt to Isolate the Palestinian People:

            Article Thirty-Two:
            World Zionism, together with imperialistic powers, try through a
            studied plan and an intelligent strategy to remove one Arab state
            after another from the circle of struggle against Zionism, in order
            to have it finally face the Palestinian people only. Egypt was, to a
            great extent, removed from the circle of the struggle, through the
            treacherous Camp David Agreement. They are trying to draw other Arab
            countries into similar agreements and to bring them outside the
            circle of struggle.

            The Islamic Resistance Movement calls on Arab and Islamic nations to
            take up the line of serious and persevering action to prevent the
            success of this horrendous plan, to warn the people of the danger
            eminating from leaving the circle of struggle against Zionism. Today
            it is Palestine, tomorrow it will be one country or another. The
            Zionist plan is limitless. After Palestine, the Zionists aspire to
            expand from the Nile to the Euphrates. When they will have digested
            the region they overtook, they will aspire to further expansion, and
            so on. Their plan is embodied in the "Protocols of the Elders of
            Zion", and their present conduct is the best proof of what we are
            saying.

            Leaving the circle of struggle with Zionism is high treason, and
            cursed be he who does that. "for whoso shall turn his back unto them
            on that day, unless he turneth aside to fight, or retreateth to
            another party of the faithful, shall draw on himself the indignation
            of Allah, and his abode shall be hell; an ill journey shall it be
            thither." (The Spoils - verse 16). There is no way out except by
            concentrating all powers and energies to face this Nazi, vicious
            Tatar invasion. The alternative is loss of one's country, the
            dispersion of citizens, the spread of vice on earth and the
            destruction of religious values. Let every person know that he is
            responsible before Allah, for "the doer of the slightest good deed
            is rewarded in like, and the does of the slightest evil deed is also
            rewarded in like."

            The Islamic Resistance Movement consider itself to be the spearhead
            of the circle of struggle with world Zionism and a step on the road.
            The Movement adds its efforts to the efforts of all those who are
            active in the Palestinian arena. Arab and Islamic Peoples should
            augment by further steps on their part; Islamic groupings all over
            the Arab world should also do the same, since all of these are the
            best-equipped for the future role in the fight with the warmongering
            Jews.

            "..and we have put enmity and hatred between them, until the day of
            resurrection. So often as they shall kindle a fire of war, Allah
            shall extinguish it; and they shall set their minds to act corruptly
            in the earth, but Allah loveth not the corrupt doers." (The Table -
            verse 64).
            Article Thirty-Three:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement, being based on the common
            coordinated and interdependent conceptions of the laws of the
            universe, and flowing in the stream of destiny in confronting and
            fighting the enemies in defence of the Moslems and Islamic
            civilization and sacred sites, the first among which is the Aqsa
            Mosque, urges the Arab and Islamic peoples, their governments,
            popular and official groupings, to fear Allah where their view of
            the Islamic Resistance Movement and their dealings with it are
            concerned. They should back and support it, as Allah wants them to,
            extending to it more and more funds till Allah's purpose is achieved
            when ranks will close up, fighters join other fighters and masses
            everywhere in the Islamic world will come forward in response to the
            call of duty while loudly proclaiming: Hail to Jihad. Their cry will
            reach the heavens and will go on being resounded until liberation is
            achieved, the invaders vanquished and Allah's victory comes about.

            "And Allah will certainly assist him who shall be on his side: for
            Allah is strong and mighty." (The Pilgrimage - verse 40).
            The Testimony of History

            Across History in Confronting the Invaders:

            Article Thirty-Four:
            Palestine is the navel of the globe and the crossroad of the
            continents. Since the dawn of history, it has been the target of
            expansionists. The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation,
            had himself pointed to this fact in the noble Hadith in which he
            called on his honourable companion, Ma'adh ben-Jabal, saying: O
            Ma'ath, Allah throw open before you, when I am gone, Syria, from Al-
            Arish to the Euphrates. Its men, women and slaves will stay firmly
            there till the Day of Judgement. Whoever of you should choose one of
            the Syrian shores, or the Holy Land, he will be in constant struggle
            till the Day of Judgement."

            Expansionists have more than once put their eye on Palestine which
            they attacked with their armies to fulfill their designs on it. Thus
            it was that the Crusaders came with their armies, bringing with them
            their creed and carrying their Cross. They were able to defeat the
            Moslems for a while, but the Moslems were able to retrieve the land
            only when they stood under the wing of their religious banner,
            united their word, hallowed the name of Allah and surged out
            fighting under the leadership of Salah ed-Din al-Ayyubi. They fought
            for almost twenty years and at the end the Crusaders were defeated
            and Palestine was liberated.

            "Say unto those who believe not, Ye shall be overcome, and thrown
            together into hell; an unhappy couch it shall be." (The Family of
            Imran - verse 12).
            This is the only way to liberate Palestine. There is no doubt about
            the testimony of history. It is one of the laws of the universe and
            one of the rules of existence. Nothing can overcome iron except
            iron. Their false futile creed can only be defeated by the righteous
            Islamic creed. A creed could not be fought except by a creed, and in
            the last analysis, victory is for the just, for justice is certainly
            victorious.

            "Our word hath formerly been given unto our servants the apostles;
            that they should certainly be assisted against the infidels, and
            that our armies should surely be the conquerors." (Those Who Rank
            Themselves - verses 171-172).
            Article Thirty-Five:
            The Islamic Resistance Movement views seriously the defeat of the
            Crusaders at the hands of Salah ed-Din al-Ayyubi and the rescuing of
            Palestine from their hands, as well as the defeat of the Tatars at
            Ein Galot, breaking their power at the hands of Qataz and Al-Dhaher
            Bivers and saving the Arab world from the Tatar onslaught which
            aimed at the destruction of every meaning of human civilization. The
            Movement draws lessons and examples from all this. The present
            Zionist onslaught has also been preceded by Crusading raids from the
            West and other Tatar raids from the East. Just as the Moslems faced
            those raids and planned fighting and defeating them, they should be
            able to confront the Zionist invasion and defeat it. This is indeed
            no problem for the Almighty Allah, provided that the intentions are
            pure, the determination is true and that Moslems have benefited from
            past experiences, rid themselves of the effects of ideological
            invasion and followed the customs of their ancestors.

            The Islamic Resistance Movement is Composed of Soldiers:

            Article Thirty-Six:
            While paving its way, the Islamic Resistance Movement, emphasizes
            time and again to all the sons of our people, to the Arab and
            Islamic nations, that it does not seek personal fame, material gain,
            or social prominence. It does not aim to compete against any one
            from among our people, or take his place. Nothing of the sort at
            all. It will not act against any of the sons of Moslems or those who
            are peaceful towards it from among non-Moslems, be they here or
            anywhere else. It will only serve as a support for all groupings and
            organizations operating against the Zionist enemy and its lackeys.

            The Islamic Resistance Movement adopts Islam as its way of life.
            Islam is its creed and religion. Whoever takes Islam as his way of
            life, be it an organization, a grouping, a country or any other
            body, the Islamic Resistance Movement considers itself as their
            soldiers and nothing more.

            We ask Allah to show us the right course, to make us an example to
            others and to judge between us and our people with truth. "O Lord,
            do thou judge between us and our nation with truth; for thou art the
            best judge." (Al Araf - Verse 89).

            The last of our prayers will be praise to Allah, the Master of the
            Universe.

            Regards,

            Kisan.

            --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Karadjis"
            <mkaradjis@t...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Michael Karadjis
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                Hello Michael,

                The reality on the ground is as the Hamas spokesman said the Hamas
                Charter is far from merely being a historical curiosity (sounds like
                something you might pick up in an antique shop) but rather as their
                spokesman says: "the charter lays out our permanent
                strategic views".

                So you can do what you like with the Charter but when you post your
                opinions of how it is irrelevant and how "superb" the Hamas'
                statement is in the Guardian I have the right to point out how your
                opinion is merely your own and not one shared by Hamas leadership.

                So you don't need to reference the charter to justify any atrocities
                on the Palestinians as you sarcastically write but merely bear it in
                mind before gullibly swallowing hook line and sinker a custom
                written Hamas article in the Guardian couched in left wing
                terminology and reasoning and then pass it on to the group as "what
                Hamas actually says" and telling all to disregard as "imperialist
                propaganda" the claim that Hamas says anything else.

                Hamas says lots of nasty stuff in their charter and according to
                them their charter represents their "permanent strategic views".