60119.2Re: [GreenLeft_discussion] Lisandro Otero: "The century of Sartre"

  • max watts
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2006
      BELATED COMMENTARY

      ACTUALLY, DE GAULLE REPLIED THIS OR SIMILAR
      TO A *MUCH EARLIER" PROPOSITION (TO ARREST SARTRE)

      AROUND 1960 SARTRE AND ABOUT 129 OTHERS SIGNED AN
      APPEAL TO FRENCH SOLDIERS NOT TO FIGHT IN ALGERIA
      INSOUMISSION...
      AND DEGAULLE, TOLD SARTRE SHOULD BE ARRESTED,
      SAID; "IDIOTS ARREST SARTRES"

      MAX WATTS

        As the smoke cleared, max watts <rosiek@...>
        mounted the barricade and roared out:

        > BELATED COMMENTARY
        >
        > ACTUALLY, DE GAULLE REPLIED THIS OR SIMILAR
        > TO A *MUCH EARLIER" PROPOSITION (TO ARREST SARTRE)
        >
        > AROUND 1960 SARTRE AND ABOUT 129 OTHERS SIGNED AN
        > APPEAL TO FRENCH SOLDIERS NOT TO FIGHT IN ALGERIA
        > INSOUMISSION...
        > AND DEGAULLE, TOLD SARTRE SHOULD BE ARRESTED,
        > SAID; "IDIOTS ARREST SARTRES"
        >
        > MAX WATTS

        And that's why we have email discussion Lists. To get things
        right. Thanx for this clarification.

        The question now is, did both events happen, then? Or is it
        a case of the 1968 one being a mere embellishment built upon
        the former?

        - -- grok.