Students Call for United Protest on September 24th

  • Charles Jenks
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Dear Australian Friends: Here is a call for a united protest in NYC
      from US students.
      In solidarity, Charlie

      From: "Joshua Karpoff" <trotskysghost@...>
      Date: July 29, 2005 3:54:50 PM EDT
      To: CampusAntiwarNetwork@yahoogroups.com

      ------------Please Forward Widely-----------------

      Campus Antiwar Network Statement on Self-Determination and Unity in the
      Antiwar Movement

      As students organizing against the war on campuses across the United
      States, we stand in support of full self-determination throughout the
      Middle East, including the self-determination of Iraqis and of
      Palestinians. As our generation is asked to sacrifice our consciences
      and our lives for the sake of U.S. empire-building, we are committed to
      opposing that empire-building in its entirety.

      In the Middle East today, illegal occupations exist not only in Iraq,
      but also in Palestine. We believe the antiwar movement must stand
      solidly against them both. This task takes on a particular urgency
      today, amid the very real possibility of a bloodbath in Palestine, if
      Israel takes the occasion of withdrawing settlers from Gaza to unleash
      a full-scale assault on that region. It would be a tragedy for the
      antiwar movement to remain silent in the face of the ongoing violence
      against an occupied population in the Middle East -- funded by our own
      government.

      We also believe it is imperative to condemn the racism directed against
      Arabs, Muslims, and immigrants in the United States. These populations
      have faced the brunt of the war at home -- targeted for racially-
      motivated suspicion, detention and deportation. As every original
      excuse for the war has been disproven, racism has become the central
      justification for continuing to occupy Iraq. The effects of this daily
      dehumanization of Arabs and Muslims can be seen in the horrific torture
      at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay. For this reason we believe opposing
      this racism must be a primary task of the antiwar movement.

      Our generation is refusing to become cannon fodder in an unjust
      occupation. As such, we are one of several groups organizing a College
      Not Combat contingent in the September 24 protests on the East and West
      Coasts. As a new counter-recruitment movement is exploding across the
      country, it is vital for students, teachers, parents, and others who
      wish to reclaim our schools from recruitment for a war most Americans
      oppose to be able to march alongside one another. This unity is
      threatened by the specter of two separate protests in DC.

      Therefore, in the interests of building the strongest movement possible
      to end occupation, we call on United for Peace and Justice to drop its
      opposition to demands in support of Palestine and civil liberties, so
      that all of us -- including broad segments of the populations most
      affected by the war at home -- can come together as one united protest
      in Washington.

      All out for September 24, from DC to San Francisco! College, Not Combat!

      Campus Antiwar Network
      http://www.campusantiwar.net

      Forwarded by
      Charles Jenks