Respect and Galloway on bombings

  • ropearce_1999
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Statement on the London bombings by George Galloway on behalf of Respect
      07/07/2005

      We extend our condolences to the families and loved ones of those who
      have lost their lives today and our heartfelt sympathy to all those
      who have been injured by the bombs in London.

      No one can condone acts of violence aimed at working people going
      about their daily lives. They have not been a party to, nor are they
      responsible for, the decisions of their government. They are entirely
      innocent and we condemn those who have killed or injured them.

      The loss of innocent lives, whether in this country or Iraq, is
      precisely the result of a world that has become a less safe and
      peaceful place in recent years.

      We have worked without rest to remove the causes of such violence from
      our world. We argued, as did the security services in this country,
      that the attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq would increase the threat of
      terrorist attack in Britain. Tragically Londoners have now paid the
      price of the government ignoring such warnings.

      We urge the government to remove people in this country from harms
      way, as the Spanish government acted to remove its people from harm,
      by ending the occupation of Iraq and by turning its full attention to
      the development of a real solution to the wider conflicts in the
      Middle East.

      Only then will the innocents here and abroad be able to enjoy a life
      free of the threat of needless violence.

      * George Galloway, Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bow