Ecuador's Palacio says 'totally connected' to Bolivarian thinking

  • duroyan fertl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2005

      Media Monitor

      Ecuador's Palacio says 'totally connected' to Bolivarian thinking
      Jun 22, 2005, 20:35 GMT

      http://news.monstersandcritics.com/mediamonitor/article_1019533.php/Ecuadors_Palacio_says_totally_connected_to_Bolivarian_thinking

      Text of report by Ecuadoran CRE Satelital radio web site on 21 June; subheadings added editorially

      Quito: President Alfredo Palacio said that he has "always been totally connected" to the Bolivarian thinking of Simon Bolivar the Liberator.

      The president was speaking during a national radio and television broadcast from Carondelet Palace in which he was questioned by a group of journalists.

      "I grew up loving Eloy Alfaro, his ideas, his liberal and revolutionary way of thinking. I say that with great pride. But I was also a lover of Simon Bolivar and of the poetry of (Pablo) Neruda," Palacio remarked.

      "Simon Bolivar's Bolivarian thinking is followed by your president, the president of Ecuador, and nobody else," he insisted.

      With that, the president put an end to the impasse that arose with Venezuela after the statements made by Administration Secretary Luis Herreria, who claimed that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's Bolivarian project was "horrible."

      Palacio preferred not to consider the fierce criticisms that Chavez later directed at Herreria despite the Venezuelan president having confirmed at the Mercosur summit only hours before that relations between the two countries were good.

      "The official line was what the presidents of Ecuador and Venezuela said," he added after highlighting the "laudatory" opinions that Chavez offered of Ecuador, its president, and the agenda drawn up at the continental summit.

      "The statements made (by Chavez) in the hotel doorway should not be taken into account," Palacio stressed.

      He likewise made it clear that Herreria was offering a "personal opinion" that does not reflect his government's "true position."

      Finally, he said that he is unaware of the supposed reports of a future "wave of violence" should Bolivarian movements be allowed in Ecuador.

      Economic and foreign policy

      President Alfredo Palacio emphasized that he is the one who decides Ecuador's economic and foreign policy, thereby denying that Economy Minister Rafael Correa and Foreign Minister Anonio Parra make decisions without his prior approval.

      "Let me make it clear that the person who directs economic policy and international policy, the person who directs the government, is the president," Palacio remarked.

      He added that he has appointed certain ministers because of their track records, but that the buck stops with him.

      He stated that he does not feel that the relationship with the international credit organizations is tense, above all because he has actively participated in meetings called by their representatives.

      Not a politician - a doctor

      "The weakness that stamps the president is not being a politician," President Palacio emphasized.

      "The weakness that stamps the president is not being a politician, not having had a political base, and not having been part of the deal-making club that has been the dynasty behind Ecuador's governments," Palacio remarked.

      "The ability to govern that they say they have from time to time achieved has been nothing more than deal-making, something I will never get involved in," he added.

      He recalled that his prime interest when he agreed to run for the vice presidency on the ticket of ousted former President Lucio Gutierrez was to push for health reforms.

      "That is why I came, because I am a little doctor who consults, works in a university, does research, and nothing more," he stressed, insisting that he is not a politician.

      Palacio says that he knows his weaknesses and has made them into "strength" to stamp a "total transparency" on the actions the government must take.

      He commented that, rather than worrying about his image, his aim is to push forward the great issues that the nation must now debate to get itself out of the institutional crisis it is going through.

      Along those lines, the president reiterated his intent to achieve a "great national agreement" for the welfare of Ecuador and confirmed that his administration wants to hear from Ecuadorans through the referendum.

      Source: CRE Satelital radio web site, Guayaquil, in Spanish 21 Jun 05

      BBC Mon LA1 LatPol jws

      Copyright 2005 BBC Monitoring Service distributed by United Press International

[...]

      Proletarios de todos los paises y pueblos oprimidos, unios!!!
      Venceremos!!!

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Win a dream trip to Western Australia, courtesy of the NEW My Yahoo!