Re: [GreenLeft_discussion] Re: The Real Che Guevara

  • Denis Berrell
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 12:18 AM
      On May 15, 1959, Fidel Castro ordered an end to military trials of 'war
      criminals'.

      It is estimated that up until May 15 Castro's war courts had executed
      somewhere between 500-600 persons.

      As I've stated on this forum I have strong philosophical and ethical
      objections to the death penalty and cannot condone it under any
      circumstances. However the number executed in Cuba following the 1959
      Revolution was nothing like 2500 and moderate in comparison to other
      tumultuous political upheavals in the 20th Century and of course practically
      negligible in relation to the many hundreds of thousands or as in the case
      of Indonesia millions murdered by U.S. backed Juntas often with the
      collaboration of the U.S. itself.