(US) UFPJ: Mar 18-20: Two-Year Anniversary of Iraq War

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15 4:05 AM
      Mar 18-20: Two-Year Anniversary of Iraq War
      ACTION ALERT * UNITED FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE
      http://www.unitedforpeace.org | 212-868-5545
      MAR 18-20: TWO-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE IRAQ WAR
      * Find an event in your area at http://www.unitedforpeace.org
      * List your event on our calendar at
      http://www.unitedforpeace.org/events
      * Download and distribute our "Costs of Endless War" leaflets
      * Donate to United for Peace and Justice to support our anti-war
      work:
      http://www.unitedforpeace.org/donate

      This coming weekend will mark two years since the U.S.-led bombing
      and
      invasion of Iraq began. No weapons of mass destruction were ever
      found; no
      compelling reason for the war was ever given. Yet more than 1500 U.S.
      soldiers have
      been killed, more than 11,000 wounded; 100,000 Iraqis are dead, and
      the
      country remains gripped by horrifying violence, with no end in sight.

      All over the United States, and all around the world, people will be
      converging through the March 18-20 weekend to protest the war and
      occupation, mourn
      the losses, and demand immediate U.S. withdrawal from Iraq. More than
      365
      activities in at least 45 states are already listed on our calendar
      at
      http://www.unitedforpeace.org

      The March 18-20 weekend will feature an array of vibrant events
      ranging from
      marches and rallies to silent vigils, civil disobedience actions,
      interfaith
      services, musical and theatre performances, and art exhibits. Events
      will
      take place on main streets and courthouse squares, alongside highways
      and
      bridges, in public parks and in front of military recruiting
      stations, at
      statehouses and Congressional offices.

      Some examples:

      · Marches, rallies, vigils, and nonviolent civil disobedience
      actions
      in Juneau, AK; Atlanta, GA; Wilmington, DE; Appleton, WI;
      Springfield, MO;
      Amarillo, TX; and elsewhere, with many of them focused on military
      recruitment
      centers.

      · Interfaith memorial services in Des Moines, IA; Chicago, IL;
      New
      York, NY; Portland, OR; and elsewhere. These are being organized in
      sync with a
      call by Clergy and Laity Concerned about Iraq, a new UFPJ-supported
      initiative.

      · A major regional mobilization in Fayetteville, NC, home to
      Fort
      Bragg. With military families and veterans at the center of the
      organizing, this
      will be a powerful and historic protest. Activists from as far north
      as
      Minnesota and as far south as Florida are organizing buses to attend
      this event.
      For more information, visit the website of the North Carolina Peace
      and Justice
      Coalition, http://www.ncpeacejustice.org

      After two years of pointless and costly war, the anti-war movement is
      more
      determined than ever. And with increased organizing by military
      families,
      veterans, faith-based communities, and young people who are resisting
      predatory
      military recruiters, the movement is growing broader and more diverse
      each day.
      Join us in taking action this weekend to bring the troop home now!

      MARCH 18-20: GLOBAL DAYS OF PROTEST
      ON THE TWO-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE IRAQ WAR
      * End the War * Bring the Troops Home Now * Rebuild Our Communities *
      Visit http://www.unitedforpeace.org for more information and to
      endorse