8313Re: Liberals as the main enemy

  • Peter Boyle
    Aug 11, 2004
      --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, kieran latty
      <kr_latty2002@y...> wrote:

      > In the US, I still think Bush is the main enemy, but it must be said
      that building a real alternative is more important than getting the
      democrats in- so the argument against lesser evilism needs to be
      pushed much stronger. In Aus there is no such counterposition.

      > Furthermore, because the democrats are a fully capitalist party,
      without the same connections to the labour movement as the ALP does,
      we cant pose the question in the same way.

      I think that a lot of this is ideological baggage inherited from the
      British Trotskyist movement which has tended to ideologically
      embellish tactical decisions, by most if not all its subfactions, to
      work within the Labour party for long periods at some time or another.
      They all confused themselves with the term "bourgeois-workers party"
      and abandoned the much clearer thinking on these parties that Lenin,
      Trotsky and other Bolshevik leaders had. They saw the social
      democratic parties as bourgeois parties with an institutional hold
      over the working class (that was ALL that they meant by the
      "-worker"). Trotsky held to this positions to his death and if
      anything subsequent history of the social democratic parties has
      reinforced the strength of their analysis.

      > In Australia, we unconditionally support an ALP victory, in the US,
      we need to say that in concrete terms there is no difference, but we
      want Bush out because it would be seen as a vindication of his
      policies if he was re-elected.

      The main reason I would support the election of an ALP government is
      so that the process of further breaking working class illusions in the
      ALP can proceed. It is true that many trade unionists, including many
      militant trade union leaders, hope that an ALP victory will be better
      for the union movement. But whether that (indcreasingly desperate)
      hope will be vindicated is another matter. Remember what happened with
      the Accord? Did the ALP's institutional links with the trade union
      movement help or hinder the militant BLF?

      Peter Boyle
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic