53435Re: The NSW Labor conference

  • Ratbag Radio
    May 2, 2008
      --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "alanb1000"
      <alanb1000@...> wrote:

      > Of course we shouldn't expect much or anything from the ALP, and we
      > shouldn't be afraid to say that, but in the present situation we
      > definitely have a horse in the race in the ALP struggle - we want
      >the anti-privatisation forces to win. To win, they have to fight.

      Whether the anti privatisation campaign wins or loses -- the ALP will
      lose state government and years of shelling out selective largess
      will collapse.I think NSW Labor has crossed the Rubicon in that regard
      as they are so far on the nose.

      Election results just in confirm that the Tories have picked up major
      support in the local election in the UK with some very middling or
      poor returns on the left -- Greens as well as outfits like Respect.
      Livingstone is out as London mayor and a mad Tory is in.

      But today the union march on the ALP state conference and I'm thinking
      that what you need to rely on is your own collective strength and take
      a lead from the Melbourne taxi drivers :

      http://leftclickblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/photos-of-april-30-taxi-drivers.html

      Labor and Costa will hold their course on this issue because there is
      no other option for them as the whole restructure/privatize agenda
      nationally depends on them proceeding.Qld Labor is relying on it for
      instance to up its anti...

      In effect, the NSW struggle is a turn to "Enough!" politics in a way
      we haven't experienced it before as people register their hatred of
      neo liberal restructuring and the market. They've had enough.

      I did an interview with Grant Morgan et al in New Zealand this week
      and the RAM experience is very instructive of that (what Grant called)
      "tipping point".
      http://leftclickblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/tipping-point-in-new-zealand-politics.html

      {Try to catch it...rather inspiring.]

      My view is that we need to make a sharp turn away from the ready
      comfort of our standard campaign routes and move aggressively to
      relate to this new reality based on financial distress and frustration
      with the political system and its seeming relentless agenda...

      New Zealanders are suffering more than us here, thats' true, and the
      breakout in many ways has been broader there going back into the 90s.
      But as Oliver Woods told me, the time here is ripe for another One
      Nation like breakout-- something populist and aggressive, but one that
      doesn't necessarily proceed via racism (nor ideology either).

      I think there's a massive challenge there such that we need to learn
      as much as we can from events in NSW.

      I have no specific suggestions but to note the shift from campaigns
      that seem like a good idea or are driven by ideals, concerns or
      ethical considerations, to ones rooted in living material experience.

      I also note -- & that is the case in NSW -- how smoothly our climate
      concerns dovetail with any anti-privatisation agenda.

      dave riley
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic