53430Re: The NSW Labor conference

  • alanb1000
    May 2, 2008
      "luke weyland" wrote:
      > Bob,
      > Don't you think its time that all decent minded people who value
      > public ownership, ... to look elsewhere?

      This question is presumably rhetorical. Your answer is "yes". Bob's
      is "no". We already know this.

      More to the point, however, Bob's original article pointed out that
      there was a real conflict within the ALP over privatisation. That's
      important.

      Unfortunately, in this context, and at this moment in time,
      advocating "looking elsewhere" is advocating conceding defeat in this
      conflict. You are advocating retreat, and guaranteed defeat.

      This isn't particularly sensible politics.

      Of course we shouldn't expect much or anything from the ALP, and we
      shouldn't be afraid to say that, but in the present situation we
      definitely have a horse in the race in the ALP struggle - we want the
      anti-privatisation forces to win. To win, they have to fight.

      Advocating that they stop fighting isn't helpful.

      Alan Bradley
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic