43578Re: The left, the trade unions and the Labor Party ranks

  • alanb1000
    Jun 8, 2007
      "Ratbag Radio" wrote:
      > And IF Labor is elected -- theres' not a hope in hell that this
      > left will be able to change things via inner party means. I think
      > thats' self evident.A triumphant ALP will have all this electoral
      > authority to squash, disown, marginalise and probably expel any
      > dissent on IR matters gievn their present fait accompli.

      Yes, but...

      This IR stuff directly impacts on a whole bunch of people in the ALP.
      As such, I don't think this dissent can be marginalised all that
      easily. It will just keep coming back again and again.

      That means that there is room for the ALP left to earn their keep
      trying to organise and articulate it.

      This dissent exists and will be expressed, in an organised form, or
      not. Obviously the former is preferable.

      And if the dissenters get expelled, too bad. If there is enough of
      them, we can help them get organised outside the ALP...

      Of course, what we do between now and the election is the interesting
      bit.

      Alan Bradley
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic