40796Re: NSW elections, the media and the will of the people

  • dave_r_riley
    Mar 27, 2007
      I don't usually seek to comment on Bob Gould's political universe, but
      in the case of this little homily on the NSW elections I have to
      congratulate him for his frankness in expressing his point of view.
      After so many years on this list I doubt that this chronicler of the
      left has been so articulate in arriving at a discernable outlook
      --without once -- not once! -- denigrating those of us who choose to
      stand aside from his loyalties.

      Does this mark a change in Bob Gould? Is the old bolshey getting soft
      with age? It may be all a bit pompous and patronising for contemporary
      tastes but I'm sure we can forgive him as the quality of the argument
      is here so coherent and salient.

      I won't even attempt a summary of the treatise he offers the
      registered leftist; but I will rework the poem by Bertolt Brecht so
      that it attains the form Comrade Gould prefers:

      After the uprising of the 17th June
      The Secretary of the Writer's Union
      Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
      Stating that the people
      Had forfeited the confidence of the media
      And could win it back only
      By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
      In that case for the media
      To dissolve the people
      And elect another?

      Anyone who ever thought a Labor state government(and today there are
      plenty of those) or indeed an impending federal one -- were in some
      shape or form the enemy of so much in which you may believe, is
      herein put to right by Comrade Gould. It seems that today you must be
      cruel to be kind --even a touch masochistic -- and whatever you may
      think of the ways and means these institutions of governance get up
      to, always remember that being left, I mean a real state of left
      beingness, isn't about the politics you strive for or the campaigns
      you enlist in. Being REALLY left is about supporting the ALP
      unconditionally and -- probably at times, when required, ncritically.

      If that's too much for your stomach to digest, being left can also be
      about supporting the Greens --at least so that they can be assured a
      means of helping Labor across the line where being registered left
      really matters: on polling day.

      Fortunately, comrades and friends, Bertolt Brecht also had a favorite
      saying which I think applies to our current conjuncture admirably and
      touches on a aspect maybe BG forgot to mention in his earnestness and
      celebration. With Labor ruling in every state and with Capital Hill
      soon to fall to the Rudd juggernaut, the "will of the people" will
      sooner or later need to confront the fact (even if Bob Gould cannot)
      that "the proof of the pudding is always in the eating."

      dave riley
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic