25293Re: the left in the Labor Party

  • dave_r_riley
    Jan 15, 2006
      --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "alanb1000"
      <alanb1000@y...> wrote:

      > I'll give you one name, that of a person who I know wouldn't mind: Neil
      > Reithmuller.

      And there rests the primary tragedy.Despite the ALP's supposed
      potential to offer activists a broad and, dare I say it, "relevant"
      network of like minded types, left activists, if and where they exist,
      tend to be isolated and at the mercy of the rest of the party.

      I referred folk to what happened to Georges when he spoke up. And
      here, Alan shares with us the consequences of Neil Reithmuller's
      actions during the very same episodes I referred to. He got rolled in
      the local TLC by his comrades, no doubt, members of the ALP.

      Of course Alan is right when he says the ALP is the only home "for the
      left" around the country because there is nothing else on hand in so
      many locales. That is in fact the same argument he has used for the
      Greens.

      But aside from this factor of x number of often isolated individuals
      or small pockets of same, the major factor bearing down on this left
      in the ALP is that not only has its organisation collapsed (albeit
      unevening around the country), and not only has it been buoyed up
      primarily by pragmatism -- but the whole left culture within the party
      has collapsed.

      Indeed, this is why Dale Mills finds it hard to locate the genus. He
      can't find the herd.

      I pointed out what were George Georges standards of leftiness -- but
      such standards would be way way too high for the left in the ALP
      today. And no matter what anyone says about relevance and reach out,
      the left platform in the ALP is a bit of a cynical joke.

      And that's not just me being facetious.

      We can 'call' it left and by doing so prove how open and non sectarian
      we are -- but the reality is that whatever platform exists so very
      seldom gets an airing.

      And a case in point is on refugees. This is no doubt the major plank
      on whatever platform the left collectively subscribes to in the ALP--
      no matter how amorphous and dissipated it may now be. But I need to
      remind people that this line in the sand was brutally rejected at the
      last ALP federal conference.

      Indeed, Labor for Refugees and an alternative policy on internment was
      one of the main victims of Lathamism.

      One would think that if an issue arose that was so salient to anyone's
      radical identity this would be cause for galvanization and there'd be
      a new rise of inner party struggle. But I don't see that, do you?
      despite the many 'issues' this isn't happening.

      Labor backed Howards anti terrorism laws both federally and state
      branch by state branch -- but where was this left?

      If my argument is correct and we are talking about a gaggle of left
      activists around the country in many cases isolated from one another
      how do we relate to them? And the same could be said of these same
      types within the Greens...

      [Thumps forehead]

      Hey. Something just came to me. You know what I think would be a great
      idea: a national newspaper. Yes, thats' it! That's the ticket! Lets'
      publish a regular newspaper and distribute it as widely and as
      aggressively as we can and get it into the hands of these people so
      they can link up with all the major struggles in the country. What a
      simply FABULOUS idea!

      What's that you say? It exists! We'll I'll be damned.

      dave riley
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic