16769RE: [GreenLeft_discussion] Re: `Left-wing' Laurie Ferguson's betrayal of Nauru detainees

  • Annette Pritchard
    Apr 21, 2005

      Pham Minh, i have to say for someone left wingist, u seem to have a very Howards sort of approach to refugees. the people on nauru are exactly that - people! what u seem to be forgetting is that UNHCR have found that items such as Baxter violate Australian responsibility under international law. Stop giving Vanstone excuses to sweep that under the rug

      >From: Nick Fredman <srcsra@...>
      >To: GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [GreenLeft_discussion] Re: `Left-wing' Laurie Ferguson's betrayal of Nauru detainees
      >Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:51:07 +1000
      >
      >Pham Minh:
      >
      > >If it is true that the UNHCR has declared that those people
      > >incarcerated in Nauru are not genuine refugees, then surely Australia
      > >has no obligation to accept them.
      > >
      > >What the "bleeding heart brigades" seem to forget is that a lax asylum
      > >seeker/refugee policy would result in many unnecessary deaths.
      > >300,000 Vietnamese died at sea fleeing the Marxist Hanoi regime's
      > >dictatorship.  How many would die in unseaworthy boats if the Howard
      > >Government adopted an open-slather asylum seeker/refugee policy?  I
      > >would suggest tens of thousands.
      >
      >  From what I've read I really question what connection anything Pham
      >Minh writes has to any kind of left wing ideas or what purpose his
      >messages serve besides provocation. Maybe this list is a bit too
      >permissive and members should show some interest in discussion among
      >the left.
      >

      >--

      Are you right for each other? Find out with our Love Calculator
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic