10060Re: An open letter to ALP members on Senate preferences

  • simongb2
    Oct 17 6:28 PM
      --- In GreenLeft_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "alanb1000"
      <alanb1000@y...> wrote:

      So, Bob, Shane, and sundry others: what are you doing in the ALP,
      > Greens or where ever you are? What are you trying to do? How are
      > trying to do it? What results are you seeing? What (concrete,
      > term) results do you think are possible? What are the dangers and
      > shortcomings of your course? Can we help? How?

      I'm certain that Bob Gould, at least, does not have a real political
      orientation towards building a powerful left in the ALP membership -
      other than in words that is. He might be able to tell us all about
      his ideas but will not be able to provide us with examples of his
      recent energetic activity against the right within the ALP itself.
      His real political orientation lies to the groups to the left of the
      ALP whom in his own small way he tries to tie ideologically to the
      coattails of the Labour party - the only political force he can
      conceive of as an agent for major social change in Australia.

      Politically, the vast, vast majority of his time is spent in this
      endeavour to neutralise the left challenges to the ALP rather than
      activity in the ALP itself. Most common are his heated polemics with
      the revolutionary left, esp the DSP, for their alleged and
      incurable "sectarianism" towards Mark Latham's ALP. While Gould's
      approach to the Greens is a lot more sophisitcated the basic aim is
      the same - take as much pressure off the ALP from the left as you can
      (as little as that may be as one person) while still doing little to
      actually move the ALP to the left yourself.

      Really, Bob's Open letter is far more a placatory address to Greens
      members and others than it is a serious political intervention into
      the ALP.

      simon b
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic