File - monthly-post.txt

  • GreenCanary@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 156 , Jan 1, 2010
      Greetings, Green Canaries!

      Another month has passed, so here's our usual email covering the basics.

      First of all, to our new members, welcome!!! You should have received a welcome message, including the list rules, but just in case you missed it (or forgot it due to chemical-exposure-induced forgetfulness), this is a reminder that in order to avoid problems with people joining the list only in order to post advertisements (SPAMMERS, in other words), new members' first posts are moderated (delayed in getting to the list, until they can be checked by a moderator), in order to make sure that they are real posts, not just ads. Once you post something that shows that you're "real", we take you off of "moderated" status, and just expect you behave responsibly, like the rest of the list members. <smile>

      We don't mean to seem unfriendly - in fact, the best way to deal with this rule is just to post a message introducing yourself to the list, so that we can all "meet and greet". <smile>

      The rules are available in our Files section, which you can find online at:

      But, in case anyone forgot, here are the basics:

      1) Treat each other with basic social decency and respect
      1a) NO FLAMING

      2) Remember that many of your fellow list members have memory problems and other health limitations, so try to accommodate them when posting here.
      2a) When you change the topic, change the Subject line in your message; this helps people who aren't up to reading all the messages on the list, and is important to any subscriber on a limited income who may be paying for the traffic they pull in.
      2b) Please quote what you're replying to from previous messages; some of us are ill and have memory problems.
      2c) Please delete any extra, irrelevant/unnecessary material from any message you're replying to - especially the ads our mailing list provider includes at the bottom of the message, but also including any part of the message that has nothing to do with your reply. You can indicate removed material easily, by saying "<snip>" wherever you leave out part of the message you're replying to.
      2d) Please be sure to include "Subject", "From", and "Date" lines from the message you're replying to, so people can figure out which one it is, in case more than one message in a conversation has the same subject line.

      3) Share what you know, if you have something to offer to the conversation.

      4) Help when you can - and if you're sick or injured, this includes the counterpart DON'T try to do more than you can do without hurting yourself.

      5) Do what works for you, and remember that we're all different - what works for someone else may not work - or even be safe - for you, and vice versa.

      6) Be kind to the Earth, for She is the Mother of all Life; we have covered Her with poisons, and as we help Her heal, we heal ourselves.

      7) This list is highly ecumenical, with members of widely varying beliefs, and members of all religious views are welcome; however, we ask that list members be respectful toward one another. Expressing one's own feelings and views need not come at the expense of forcing them on one another, and the use of language of the heart and spirit should be inclusive, not divide us.

      8) Respectful and inclusive tolerance and support has always been one of the core values of this list.

      9) This is NOT a commercial list - please do not post advertising here. Our advertising policy is sent to all new members, or is available in the Files section of our Yahoo Groups community pages.

      We're trying to build up some good databases of non-toxic product, Environmental-Illness-friendly doctors, and more - if you think it might be suitable, but aren't sure, just check with me (the list-owner).

      You are also encouraged to upload files to the files section if they are on-topic to this list, and may be of use to others on or off the list. This includes:

      ~ articles on:
      ~ Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS),
      ~ environmental toxins,
      ~ xenoestrogens,
      ~ Environmental Illness (EI) of any kind, (including those illnesses that are not environmental in origin, but make sufferers sensitive to chemical exposures) and
      ~ signs of environmental illness in other species,

      ~ as well as information on alternative medicine,
      ~ chemical-free living,
      ~ non-toxic treatment methods for these illnesses and any other illness or problem that may be encountered by a person with MCS or EI,
      ~ and other aspects of "Green Living" or related subjects, such as:
      ~ organic food and gardening,
      ~ herbalism,
      ~ nontoxic building and
      ~ construction methods.

      DO NOT upload any copyrighted material that is not yours to share, unless it explicitly states in its content that it is available for public distribution by any non-profit means or media.

      Please feel free to announce the existence of this list to others who might be interested, as long as it is done in a friendly, appropriate, and tactful way - and of course, I would expect no less of you, or any other member of this list. We are here to help each other, and to pool our knowledge to the benefit of all.

      For this reason, the list archives are publicly available; please observe all standard precautions regarding unsecured transmission of any personal information, and share only that information which you are comfortable with making publicly available. While I would hope that all list members are equally dedicated to the ideal of helping each other with knowledge and support in the effort we make to detoxify ourselves and our environment, not here to hurt each other or anyone else, the internet too has its hazards, and we must all exercise reasonable judgement about the information we choose to share about ourselves and our personal lives.

      And most of all - ENJOY THE LIST! It's here, it's for you, use it! <smile>

      Willow Firesong
      GreenCanary-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Willow Firesong's Circle of Firelight in the Grove of Information
      http://members.tripod.com/~Willow_Firesong/
      http://willow.creative-interweb.com/old_site/ - ad-free version
      http://willow.creative-interweb.com/mcs/ - ad-free MCS info pages
    • GreenCanary@yahoogroups.com