V1N14 State v. Church compared to Husband v. Wife -- Reciprocal Learning from the Ideal Relationship

  • Sterling D. Allan, Facilitator
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      Remnant Saints Inter-Continental Congress
      NEWSLETTER
      Volume 1 Number 14
      March 1, 2002 6:00 pm MST

      To: Full RSICC Membership and Friends

      State v. Church compared to Husband v. Wife -- Reciprocal Learning from the
      Ideal Relationship
      http://www.rsicc.org/Newsletter/2002/Mar1_husband_wife.htm

      We can draw a great deal of wisdom regarding the proper role of government
      and its relationship to the church if we compare it to the relationship
      between a husband and a wife. The husband is the protector. The wife is
      the nurturer. They have separate roles, but the ideal is for them to work
      harmoniously together for the benefit of the entire family. The children
      could be considered analogous to lay citizens.

      In some (too many) relationships, the man is controlling, acting as a
      tyrant. In others, the woman is. In some cases, the husband and wife are
      well balanced and their relationship thrives and the children are happy.

      What are the key ingredients for the ideal man-wife-child relationship, and
      what lessons can be applied to the ideal church-state-citizen relationship?

      In some (most) nations and in some (most) times of history, the government
      acts as tyrant. In others (more rare, but it still happens), the church
      serves as the overlording tyrant of society. The ideal would be for there
      to be a balance, with a symbiotic relationship, and with a happy citizenry.

      What is it that the woman does, that helps keep the husband-would-be-tyrant
      from becoming such? Some of it is the choice of the husband, some of it is
      the choice of the woman. But there are principles of the ideal
      relationship. What lessons can we draw from this regarding the proper
      relationship between church and state?

      When the children are young, the parents play a different role for them than
      when they grow older and begin to learn independence, to go out on their
      own. The citizens of some nations are not as "grown up" in their
      understanding of responsibility, and hence need more of a guiding hand from
      the paternalistic state or the maternalistic church. Even though each
      nation and each church contains a wide gamut of immature to mature
      individuals within it, there does seem to be a general level of
      characteristics or personality that marks the body as a whole as distinct
      from another body elsewhere. The Muslim countries and religion are very
      different from the Western world, and both of these are very different from
      the Eastern countries and religions. Some nations are more prepared for
      responsible freedom.

      The ideal is for the parents (husband and wife) to help the children
      (citizens) grow up into responsible adults. The ultimate society needs no
      head (church-state), for all citizens are both responsible and virtuous.
      That doesn't mean there would be no church-state in the ultimate society;
      only that its role would be very different. In this case, the relationship
      between the church-state and the citizens would resemble more of that of
      parents with their matured children. They are more friends and colleagues
      than parent-child. In my opinion, we as a society not too far away from
      achieving that ideal. We are well along in our development. We have
      outgrown the stage of childhood in which the parents are required to exert a
      great deal of control because we don't know any better.

      Nevertheless, while society as a whole will soon be ready for a more
      advanced level of church-state-citizen relationship than they now
      experience, they are not ready for a fully matured level. Nevertheless,
      there could be pockets of communities on the brink of such a level. These,
      I would posit, will be heaven on earth, as the ideal balance is struck. But
      even the less advanced level will be a large improvement on where the world
      is at today. There is a transformation coming to the planet.

      As I compose this write-up and contemplate the many comparisons, I realize
      that this question and its answers could be the subject of a book or of a
      doctoral thesis, if not many.

      It would be fun to develop this idea together.

      We shouldn't make this the focus of RSICC, but it certainly can make for an
      interesting side conversation that we bring up from time to time.

      Sterling D. Allan
      http://rsicc.org