HIKE

  • dshertza
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      I was just up on the Under Ground Miners site looking for information
      on their hike- coulden't find any. Any one know if the hike is still
      on, and what the itinerary is?

      Dick S
    • Dan R.
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
        Hi Dick: I saw your message on the Gravity RR site.  The "hike" is really an exploration trip, sort of a multi-stop guided tour of some of the remains of the northern anthracite field's rich coal mining heritage.  The guide, Chris Murley (chris@...) is one of the founders of the group Underground Miners, and he is organizing the trip for this Sunday.  Chris also has a Yahoo group, and that is where the northern field exploration trip has been publicized.  That group is AnthraciteHistory on Yahoo groups, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthracitehistory/

        I will send Chris a copy of this email so he will know that you are interested in joining us, and you can send him email for some info about the trip.  We are meeting at the park-and-ride on route 6 at the Carbondale exit, 9 AM, this Sunday.  Bring boots that can get dirty and muddy, and a flashlight as well as camera if you want.  This should be interesting, and we may be squeezing into some odd places or climbing around, but it should not be as strenuous as the climb up out of that trolley line at the end of our PCC gravity railroad hike.  THAT was quite a climb!, but this should be more easily managable, but there is probably going to be some climbing up into places, etc.  Anyway, Chris can tell you more.

        Hope you can make it!

        Note to Chris:  I invited Dick Shertza from the Mt. Cobb area to join us for the tour.  He is a member of our Gravity Railroads group and was on our recent trip along the Pa. Coal Co. Gravity RR line that went through the Mt. Cobb tunnel.  He has been hiking and exploring that area for several decades.

        Thanks,
        Dan Rifkin
        Lancaster, PA

        dshertza <rshertza@...> wrote:

        I was just up on the Under Ground Miners site looking for information
        on their hike- coulden't find any. Any one know if the hike is still
        on, and what the itinerary is?

        Dick S

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • shane jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
          Hey Dan:
          Any info on places to stay in the area? I have to
          see but i might be able to join the tour.
          Shane

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Dan R.
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
            Hi Shane:
            You can go to this site, then select "area business directory".  The first set of listings are for hotels/motels.

            I can't really recommend anything in particular, but they do list several places to choose from.

            Hope you can make it.

            -Dan

            --- "Dan R." <trevor5email@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dick: I saw your message on the Gravity RR site.
            > The "hike" is really an exploration trip, sort of a
            > multi-stop guided tour of some of the remains of the
            > northern anthracite field's rich coal mining
            > heritage.  The guide, Chris Murley
            > (chris@...) is one of the founders
            > of the group Underground Miners, and he is
            > organizing the trip for this Sunday.  Chris also has
            > a Yahoo group, and that is where the northern field
            > exploration trip has been publicized.  That group is
            > AnthraciteHistory on Yahoo groups,
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthracitehistory/

            > I will send Chris a copy of this email so he will
            > know that you are interested in joining us, and you
            > can send him email for some info about the trip.  We
            > are meeting at the park-and-ride on route 6 at the
            > Carbondale exit, 9 AM, this Sunday.  Bring boots
            > that can get dirty and muddy, and a flashlight as
            > well as camera if you want.  This should be
            > interesting, and we may be squeezing into some odd
            > places or climbing around, but it should not be as
            > strenuous as the climb up out of that trolley line
            > at the end of our PCC gravity railroad hike.  THAT
            > was quite a climb!, but this should be more easily
            > managable, but there is probably going to be some
            > climbing up into places, etc.  Anyway, Chris can
            > tell you more.

            > Hope you can make it!

            > Note to Chris:  I invited Dick Shertza from the Mt.
            > Cobb area to join us for the tour.  He is a member
            > of our Gravity Railroads group and was on our recent
            > trip along the Pa. Coal Co. Gravity RR line that
            > went through the Mt. Cobb tunnel.  He has been
            > hiking and exploring that area for several decades.
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Dan Rifkin
            > Lancaster, PA

            > dshertza <rshertza@...> wrote:
            >
            > I was just up on the Under Ground Miners site
            > looking for information
            > on their hike- coulden't find any. Any one know if
            > the hike is still
            > on, and what the itinerary is?
            >
            > Dick S
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • John Bideganeta
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
              Have fun guys, I really wish I could make it :( Stay safe, and maybe wear an orange hat or something, I'm not sure when deer season opens in PA but it must be getting close.

              John

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Dan R.