GC wishes: For curves: more colors, widths, patterns; For variables, more letters.

  • Chris Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2002
      GC wishes: For curves: more colors, widths, patterns; For variables, more letters. on 2/6/02 7:46 PM, Ron Avitzur at avitzur@... wrote:

      Are there things which it seems [Graphing Calculator] ought to be able to do whose absence is annoying?

      Some things at the top of my wish list for GC:

      • A larger array of colors for the curves from would be a big help to me.  What would be especially good is if these colors could be set via a CLUT (Color LookUp Table) Resource so that the user could modify them via ResEdit.

      • A variety of widths and patterns for the curves would also help.  Then you could have one curve on top of another, to show clearly when different formulas resulted in the same curve, for example.

      • I'm still pleading for having an option available to use all 26 small and large letters as variables.  Control-key or option-key combinations could be used for the reserved variables "r", "t", "x", "y", "z", "u", "v", "w".  The default would be to have these reserved, but advanced users could make them available via an option in the Preferences dialog, either a check mark saying "No reserved variables; use Control key combinations for reserved variables" or maybe two radio buttons with the default one saying "r, t, x, y, z, u, v, w are reserved variables" just to make it clearer.  Yes, indices on variables would be a huge help, but you can't beat the simplicity of having two parallel sequences of letters (a..z and A...Z) to show the structure of long formulas.  Also, its simpler to use a program like Perl to generate these long formulas when all the letters are available.

      • A way to turn off evaluation of math expressions in the equation pane.  There are times I'd like to just show a derivation by way of illustration.  I want to use the special type-setting abilities of equation mode as opposed to using a text block.  I turn off graphing, by picking "no color" from the color selector for that equation, but the expression gets evaluated anyway.  This can slow things down a lot if the formula is complicated or even if it contains more than one differentiation.

      • There are times I'd like to have an expression evaluated but GC won't do it.  I'm still not sure if there's a way to do this.

      • In [h s v] color plots, to be able to just use part of the range.   To have values go from white to gray instead of white to black, for example.  A lot of the time, I can't figure out a way using "clamp", "max", etc. to keep things from getting too dark when I plot values.  I think you [Ron] said that the whole range of values would always get used.  Sorry, I'm still a little unclear on this.

      --
      Chris Young <c1572young@...>