Graphs of electron orbitals...

  • gjmcclure
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2010
      Recently I found a site that contains the equations to create the graphs for the electron orbitals (s, p, d, f...) but when I use Graphing Calculator to try to recreate the orbital graphs shown, I don't get the same results. The site is...

      http://www.uky.edu/~holler/html/orbitals_2.html

      The graphs are shown by chosing the orbital in question from the left column, the equations are shown by clicking on the equations reference on top.

      I am making an assumption, which may be the problem... the graph would be of the form r = f(theta, phi), so I pick the phi from column 1, and theta from column 2. If I only use column 1 (the phi column) then I get shapes that look like the 0 value orbital for each state (I take the absolute value to get the other half for some of them). But I can't get the theta sections to work, they give me very wierd surfaces that don't look at all like an orbital.

      Okay, what am I doing wrong here?
    • Craig David
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2010
        I'm going to take the easy way out here because I've got about 49 things that need doing before classes begin. Have a gander at the "Mathematical Physics" section of

        <http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/Physics/Sims/Files/filelibrary.html>.

        I've posted a gc file that plots spherical harmonics (which is what those images of orbitals really are.)

        For a REALLY cool application check out

        <http://daugerresearch.com/orbitals/index.shtml>

        David

        On Jan 18, 2010, at 11:21 AM, gjmcclure wrote:

        > Recently I found a site that contains the equations to create the graphs for the electron orbitals (s, p, d, f...) but when I use Graphing Calculator to try to recreate the orbital graphs shown, I don't get the same results. The site is...
        >
        > http://www.uky.edu/~holler/html/orbitals_2.html
        >
        > The graphs are shown by chosing the orbital in question from the left column, the equations are shown by clicking on the equations reference on top.
        >
        > I am making an assumption, which may be the problem... the graph would be of the form r = f(theta, phi), so I pick the phi from column 1, and theta from column 2. If I only use column 1 (the phi column) then I get shapes that look like the 0 value orbital for each state (I take the absolute value to get the other half for some of them). But I can't get the theta sections to work, they give me very wierd surfaces that don't look at all like an orbital.
        >
        > Okay, what am I doing wrong here?

        David Craig

        <http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>