Wanting to find more undocumented features and commands

  • johnalbers2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009
      Looking through the demos, I see some things that as far as I know are
      not documented or hardly mentioned in any of my reading about graphing
      calculator. Is there a place where I can find out more secrets?

      For example, under Examples/Three Dimensions/Tangent Plane, what do
      the ug(a,b) and vh(a,b) do?

      Also under Examples/Advanced Topics/Dot Product, you can drag the
      endpoints of both vectors around and the complex number is
      automaticaly updated. Is there a way to make it so that a point in
      the standard x-y plane can be dragged around the graph and the x and y
      coordinates would be automatically updated?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • Chris Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009

        On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:08 PM, johnalbers2003 wrote:

        Looking through the demos, I see some things that as far as I know are
        not documented or hardly mentioned in any of my reading about graphing
        calculator. Is there a place where I can find out more secrets?

        For example, under Examples/Three Dimensions/Tangent Plane, what do
        the ug(a,b) and vh(a,b) do?

        These are actually the "graphing variables" u and v multiplying the functions g(a,b) and h(a,b).
        I've redone the file slightly below to make it clearer (at least to me) what's going on:
        Both of the equations below work, but the second version is more streamlined, and enables you to use more surface graphics, such as checkerboarding, as shown.
      • Chris Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2009

          On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:08 PM, johnalbers2003 wrote:

          Also under Examples/Advanced Topics/Dot Product, you can drag the
          endpoints of both vectors around and the complex number is
          automaticaly updated. Is there a way to make it so that a point in
          the standard x-y plane can be dragged around the graph and the x and y
          coordinates would be automatically updated?

          It's actually the points "a" and "b", represented by complex numbers, that are being dragged around.