why won't this graph

  • Bill Briggs
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 27, 2008
      why won't this graph
      Greetings,

      I confess to having, from time to time, difficulty knowing why GC won't graph some things. I've used sliders in other animated graphs, but I've messed with this thing for an hour and can't sort out why it won't plot. I want to have a wave moving to the right and a reflected wave moving to the left, and the resulting standing wave. But I'm trying to incorporate sliders so I can change the reflection coefficient (both amplitude and phase). It's your basic transmission line with an unmatched termination. I don't seem to be able to sort out why, with some constructs, GC won't plot the function. And in my last modification it switched to a 3D view, which I definitely didn't want. Does the presence of a "w" make GC think it's a parametric equation that triggers the move to 3D space?

      I've just taken a screen shot of my equations in the hopes that someone here can point out the error of my ways.

      Thanks,
        Bill

    • Petri Sirkkala
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 28, 2008
        Hi,

        The y = ... line probably should read y(x) = ...

        I don't see w (the one on the first eq. line) used anywhere. I removed it.

        Also the y(x) = g(x) will not plot, but it is equal to y(x) - g(x) =
        0, if that is what you intented to say.

        -Pete

        --
        Petri Sirkkala, sirpete(ät)iki.fi, Skype: sirpete
        +358 400 98 2998 // ...likes Gmail... //
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2008
          Re: [GraphingCalcUsers] why won't this graph Chris young should be able to figure this out!

[...]

        • Christopher O. Young
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 30, 2008
[...]

            The problem seems to have been just with the "w"; GC 3.5 won't accept using reserved letters (t, u, v, w, i, r, etc.).  The "w" is used in complex 4D parametric plots.

          • David Craig
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2008
              On Nov 27, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Bill Briggs wrote:
              > I confess to having, from time to time, difficulty knowing why GC
              > won't graph some things.... Does the presence of a "w" make GC think
              > it's a parametric equation that triggers the move to 3D space?

              GC is quirky, to be sure. I do hope this gets cleaned up as time
              goes on. The LONG list of reserved names is one of my pet peeves.
              I really, REALLY wish there were advanced preferences to manage
              reserved names in GC.

              Anyway, I have a bunch of physics-related files posted here:

              <http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/Physics/Sims/Files/filelibrary.html>

              that I use as live demonstrations in my courses. I just finished up
              a couple of reflection/transmission demos that are there now. The
              files in general don't come with a ton of explanation, and most of
              them are capable of showing a wide range of aspects of the physics in
              question that are switched off when you first open the file. But if
              you know the relevant physics, it should be possible to figure out
              what most of them can do. (And I'm happy to answer any questions if
              folks have them. Though perhaps not quickly...)

              David Craig

              <http://web.lemoyne.edu/~craigda/>