Certainty in conviction

  • Jon Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013
      What should be our standard for "beyond a reasonable doubt"?

      See "n Guilty Men", Alexander Volokh.

      "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer",

      Known as the BlackstoneRatio, as expressed by the English jurist William Blackstone in his seminal work, Commentaries on the Laws of England, published in 1769.

      The Jewish scholar Maimonides demanded a ratio of 1000:1. Ben Franklin 100:1.

      More authoritarian personalities are supposed to have taken the opposite view; Bismarck is believed to have stated that "it is better that ten innocent men suffer than one guilty man escape".

      Take your pick.
      -- Jon

      Constitution Society               http://constitution.org
      2900 W Anderson Ln C-200-322           twitter.com/lex_rex
      Austin, TX 78757 512/299-5001  jon.roland@...