Re: The Texas Tribune: Amid Contentious Inquiry, Morton Sees "Road to Accountability"

  • Jon Roland
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2013
      Depends on the jurisdiction. In Texas corruption thoroughly infests federal officials and many locals, but some locals and many state-level officials seem to be fairly clean, at least to the extent that if the people can organize enough pressure they can get some problems corrected and some reforms made.

      I have visited officials in various states with complaints about public misconduct. In almost all I got defensiveness, denial, and dismissiveness, if I could even get past their gatekeepers. In Texas I can walk right up to most state officials, many of whom I already know, and get what seems to be serious consideration and understanding of my concerns. Of course, they ask for evidence that can stand up in court, and for a sufficient level of public support, to provide them cover if they decide to take the heat for doing something. That's reasonable.

      Note that at least in this El Paso case someone is fighting on our side. In most other places there wouldn't be anyone even trying.

      Interestingly, Williamson County, where the Morton case occurred, is one of the more corrupt counties, so much so that it has stirred up a lot of pushback from citizens, with this case as an incubator for reform. Of course, reforms may be made to placate irate citizens, only to be quietly abandoned with the ire dies down. People can never relax their pressure. It is a daily chore for every citizen to attend to the supervision of public servants. If they don't carry out the garbage every day the house stinks.

      On 02/07/2013 08:01 AM, Joseph Zernik, Human Rights Alert (NGO) wrote:
      Accountability in Texas??? Not when it comes to judicial corruption, where the feds would take care to cover it all up...

      [1] 11-01-20 Press Release Corruption of the courts and the legal profession in El Paso - Sealed in the Heart of Texas

      Constitution Society               http://constitution.org
      2900 W Anderson Ln C-200-322           twitter.com/lex_rex
      Austin, TX 78757 512/299-5001  jon.roland@...