Irritating naked links

  • Jon Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 7:13 PM
      I am becoming increasingly irritated by messages that contain almost
      nothing but a link and the sender expects the subject line to contain
      all the information the recipient needs to decide whether to open it.
      Besides being a security threat, it is a waste of precious time to open
      links that one does not find sufficiently interesting. Take the time to
      compose well-written messages, re-reading and editing until you produce
      something people will want to read. Don't just dash off ill-formatted
      ungrammatical, misspelled garbage. If you can't write well, don't
      inflict that on other people until you learn. It may be human to err but
      it is also human to get it right, the first time and every time.

      This is a matter of netiquette. I request, no, demand, that anyone
      sending me a message with a link he expects me to open to accompany that
      link with at least a one-paragraph abstract of what the link contains,
      which answers in some detail the who, what, how, when, where, why, and
      significance of it, to persuade me why I should take the time to access
      it. I urge everyone to spread this message and make the same demand of
      those who send to us, before this practice becomes too firmly established.

      For all lists which I moderate, such naked link messages will be
      rejected out of hand without explanation.

      -- Jon

      Constitution Society 7793 Burnet Road #37, Austin, TX 78757
      512/299-5001 www.constitution.org jon.roland@...