Re: Horseshoe Mesa - now a two-nighter

  • oriska1964
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 25, 2012
      I guess that means a flight of stairs could be a class 4 ascent.
      Wayne Tomasi

      --- In Grand_Canyon_Hikers@yahoogroups.com, "oriska1964" <wayne.tomasi@...> wrote:

      > Class 4 means 'not particularly difficult but has exposed and a screwup could be fatal'.
      > Wayne Tomasi
      >
      > --- In Grand_Canyon_Hikers@yahoogroups.com, "dmarcus2@" <dmarcus2@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Another take, per my 2002 trip report:
      > >
      > > "The kids play around for a while, and then we organize a dayhike to try and climb the butte on Horseshoe Mesa. We get within one rock band of the summit, admire the view, and then descend. We end up circumambulating the butte, but not reaching the top."
      > >
      > > However, the "kids" were 6, 7, 9, and 10 at the time.
      > >

      > > --- In Grand_Canyon_Hikers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Marley" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It's been a long time ago Jan but I seem to remember going around to the North and east to get up. It was pretty much a scramble climb. Some use of hands. Very low rating. Good view on top.
      > > > We were able to climb it with one of our nieces who was young but definitely not an outdoors person, she still isn't, so it can't be too difficult.
      > > > Rope not needed. Technical skills minimal.

    • Pinny Lew
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 26, 2012
        I did the old grandview last may.

        in my experience it will take at least 2 hours to go from cottonwood creek
        to the bottom of the old grandview trail at the river - most likely longer
        than that. just getting to the large cairn at the top of the tapeats - if
        walking fast - is over half an hour (it took me well over an hour - but we
        stop to look around a lot and take pictures). From there to the river is at
        least 30 minutes most likely considerably longer than that.

        in any case, from the bottom of the tapeats to the river is not the type of
        trail you want to be moving too quickly. there are no maps that i found
        that have that trail, so your route-finding capabilities are actually
        cairn-finding capabilities (and knowing which ones are the correct ones to
        follow!).

        I would say to give it at least 3 hours for going down and at least 2 hours
        to return to cottonwood creek.

        Pinny Lew
        Brooklyn, NY

        --