Saturday @ White Caps

  • matt scooter hiske
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hey Folks-

      I met a couple war gamers on Saturday and hopefully they will be joining. One is a big Advanced Squad Leader fan and said he should be able to attend on Thursday's, good news for Ben. The other one is a big Wings of War fan and hopefully we can organize a tournament or something in the near future. White Caps is a great location for Saturday wargaming so I will be posting events in the future and I would like you to come out when your available.

      Games Played on Saturday:

      Memoir 44'-

      I played this with Ryen who is the ASL fan. This was his first game of it and he enjoyed it a lot. Yes Joe even ASL fans can enjoy it, LOL.

      Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition-

      Josh had his copy on hand and got a large six player game going, sweet game indeed.

      Matt
    • Joe Steadman

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          LOL
          My first thought on Memoir was that it wasn't simulation-y enough by a long shot. That said, I've revised my opinion now that I am going through Historical game withdrawal. Its not too bad. I liked Tide of Iron better, but I still haven't figured out ToI's suppression rules (why not just kill them? why make it a separate fire type?).

          In any case, my ASL is 6 years out of date, so I'll let Ryan paste me in GR before heading north. :)

          How's Washington's War look, btw? My copy is due to arrive tomorrow.

          On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:18 AM, matt scooter hiske <matthiske2003@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          Hey Folks-

          I met a couple war gamers on Saturday and hopefully they will be joining. One is a big Advanced Squad Leader fan and said he should be able to attend on Thursday's, good news for Ben. The other one is a big Wings of War fan and hopefully we can organize a tournament or something in the near future. White Caps is a great location for Saturday wargaming so I will be posting events in the future and I would like you to come out when your available.

          Games Played on Saturday:

          Memoir 44'-

          I played this with Ryen who is the ASL fan. This was his first game of it and he enjoyed it a lot. Yes Joe even ASL fans can enjoy it, LOL.

          Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition-

          Josh had his copy on hand and got a large six player game going, sweet game indeed.

          Matt

        • Brett Bolen
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            hi

            As a TOI fan let me speak to that. Suppression can keep someone from firing that can be huge if you suppress the machine gun. Obviously if you can you want to kill it but to kill the machine gun you need 3 hits (the first two just to kill the extra dudes and then the gun). Also motors firing suppressively affect the entire hex (I think) and they get more dice

            I will tell you my biggest complaints about TOI
            1) the hidden unit rules are awful
            2) hills do not give cover dice
            3) the set up is a bear
            4) No directional armor on tanks

            That said TOI is my favorite WWII game. The mini's look so much cooler then cardboard cutouts it is worth the extra time. ASL is the grandpapy of WWII games but it is too detailed for me. That is always the trouble with war games: realism vs playability

            There are rumors of an advanced TOI game. (so cool)

            As for Memoir, I wouldn't call it a war game. It is more like an abstract game with a war theme tacked on. But the Overload scenarios are infinitely better then the base game. If you haven't you have not really seen where Memoir shines

            Cheers
            Brett

            Physics Dept
            GVSU