RE: [Good_Kefir_Grains] my naughty kefir grains

  • ROGER BIRD
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
      Leo,

      It is difficult to describe. My 12 year old, who otherwise is extremely picky, was fine with the taste. I, who pushed for goat milk because I people said that it was healthier and it was easier to get for us, found the taste to be horrid.

      Roger

      Mitchell and Katrina Bird's Incredibly Lucky Daddy

      To: Good_Kefir_Grains@yahoogroups.com
      From: leo.girardi@...
      Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:47:03 -0600
      Subject: Re: [Good_Kefir_Grains] my naughty kefir grains

      Awful goatie taste?

      Since I have recently been getting raw goat milk, none of the people who I

      have given the milk to to taste, nor myself have noticed this "effect".

      Can you elaborate?

      Leo

      On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:22 AM, ROGER BIRD <rogerbird1@...> wrote:

      > A couple of days ago I put my kefir grains in raw goat milk. The kefir it

      > made was sort of runny, but otherwise OK, except that it had the same awful

      > goatie taste as the milk.

      > When that batch was finished, I went back to pasteurized whole organic

      > milk. Since then, I have gotten no separation. It has a definite fizzy and

      > kefir taste, but it won't separate.

      > Have my grains been injured and can they ever come back?

      > Roger Bird

      > Mitchell and Katrina Bird's Incredibly Lucky Daddy

    • Marilyn Kefirlady
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
        Unless the people milking goats are impeccable clean, have very healthy
        goats with no copper or cobalt deficiency in them, and put the milk
        immediately on ice to cool it, the goat milk could taste absolutely
        horrible. Or develop that taste in just a couple days. I have had my share
        of goaty tasting goat milk in my past from other farms. I had to learn how
        to make sure my goat milk is sweet and keeps a long time. Hint: You never
        just put the jar of milk in the refrigerator to cool it down.

        Marilyn,
        who produces the most delicious raw goat milk in NW Ohio. Also, BTW,
        pasteurization damages the butterfat so all goat milk in cans or in stores,
        tastes terrible automatically because of the heating process. It is never
        the goat's fault for bad tasting milk, it is always the handling or
        husbandry at fault.

        On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:57 AM, ROGER BIRD <rogerbird1@...> wrote:

        > Leo,
        >
        > It is difficult to describe. My 12 year old, who otherwise is extremely
        > picky, was fine with the taste. I, who pushed for goat milk because I
        > people said that it was healthier and it was easier to get for us, found the
        > taste to be horrid.
        >
        > Roger
        >
        > Mitchell and Katrina Bird's Incredibly Lucky Daddy

      • Bonnie Rogers
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2011
          Marilyn,

          What is the other listserve that you have that is also for other topics??
          Thanks so much

          Bonnie Rogers
          http://www.bonniesherbals.com
          "creating wellness with herbs and water"